It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats happened to ATS?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoxfilesMulder
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

There are different forums for different topics.

IF you want a conspiracy you go to the general conspiracies forum, if you want personal stories that may every now and then contain something to do with vampires, you go to the gray area forum.

Your rant is absolutely ridiculous and pathetic.

Take a deep breath and listen very carefully so you may enjoy ATS once again.

Are you ready?

There are different forums for different topics.
edit on 19-3-2011 by FoxfilesMulder because: (no reason given)

Great example of what I and others were describing. Thank you for giving such a generous example for all to see

All the Stars I got really says "ridiculous and pathetic". But, I guess you think all those people are ridiculous and pathetic too huh?
edit on 3/19/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I'm a new guy too. I have noticed that some of the posters here lamenting the death of the 'Old ATS' have been here in some cases for 6-8 months or so. How much can change in 6-8 months. I think that a lot of what has changed has to do with the fact that what once was the proprietary stomping grounds of 'Conspiracy Theorists' has been totally co-opted and twisted and commodified by fu!&#rs like ---- ----- and all sorts of folks who will go nameless. And it is also being snapped up and consumed by a large and hungry general population. I don't know if you have noticed or not but not much new is being created in terms of pop culture. It is all a recycle. The benefit is that if you are older you can indulge in instant nostalgia. But I can't imagine what it must be like to be 17- or 18 and only being able to pick from fashions already invented. People are just starved for something new. Starved enough to force them to read. So a lot of what once was conspiracy theory is now just drawn down to a moot point or 'pick a side'. What more is there to debate? What conspiracy is there presently that needs intense debate? The present Gov't? It is taking us down the tubes like the one before it and whatever comes after. Is The Government Poisoning Us With X?. The answer is yes. Are Chemtrails Real? Well I evangelized their reality for 13 years and then went to ContrailScience.Com. I guarantee you they have us in a deadlock so pick a side on that. I know. This is turning into a rant. But what did William Cooper not lay out that still needs to be dragged out? You know there was a guy before him too...

And we know who the guy after is.
So there is a conspiracy...Who are these Jackasses and where did they come from? Why are they basically all singing the same song since the 70's. Really. What is the Conspiracy that seems to lie behind all this Conspiracy and Alarm. I mean where do these dudes come from?
Anyhow it is all being and will all be revealed. This is the Singularity. Whatever it means we are living in it. So all we can really do is look backwards. I would rather discuss favorite SciFi novels at the moment because I am not really all that mystified about any conspiracy theories. Things seem to be pretty much above the table right now. I think the new post firehose reflects that general feeling. Maybe it has just come down to pick a side.
And finally maybe the problem also has to do with the fact that you are jaded. You have seen it all before. So you barrel in to new peoples posts like some kind of manic half blind hunting dog with a tick. This has not been my overall experience though. Most folks are totally helpful and funny and as smart as I would expect to find when I logged on to ATS. Just like all of you folks.

edit on 19-3-2011 by Frater210 because: Spellorama

edit on 19-3-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
ATS is a business that revolves around profit. Don't let anyone tell you any different. The mods aren't conspiring, I think many don't actually realise what's going on. But anyone can see it for themselves. Like vulgar news presenters, they believe themselves impartial and decent, unfortunately most people here now know better.

It's more likely for ATS to embrace and promote the latest Hollywood alien movie than it is to see well researched threads given support.

And they do want it this way. It's deliberate. Yes there's always been stupid threads, but they've never been in such abundance, nor have they ever been defended so violently by the moderators and websites owners.

People have got to eat, I understand that, but it would be nice if the Admins showed some honesty, and the moderators some actual awareness of what's happening here.

And previous mod comments in this thread are either purposeful lies or uninformed statements. I can cite plenty of censored topics on ATS.

Lets try circumcision and marijuanna for a start. Both topics are out of bound and threads will be closed. This despite the Admins and mods calling for people to respect the cultures of others (for example Stringer made a thread calling on people not to laugh at those in other countries and cultures who don't recognise CGI as being fake), but god forbid you go against the America culture of the war on drugs or genital mutilation. That's off bounds.

There was a thread about circumcision on here not long ago, it was closed for moderation and never re-opened. Supposedly things got out of control, but anyone who saw the thread knows it was no more out of control than any thread on the live topics.

You can go into the chatroom and talk about how drunk you've been getting all day, but even mention marijuanna and you'll be ban-hammered. Now if that isn't ignorance I don't know what is.

There is definite censorship, don't let any moderators tell you differently. If I wanted to I could demonstrate this but I fear I'd be banned.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form.

Neither naive nor misinformed. But I did read what I signed up for, when I signed up for it.

There are plenty of other sites where drug conversations are not only allowed, they are encouraged. ATS just happens to not be one of them. We have members of all ages, from all cultures, and we do our best to respect that. My kids are both old enough to know better. But I'd hardly want my child visiting a site where they might come across a thread about the great hallucinations to be had from any given chemical. This is a major reason why such subjects are not discussed here.

I wasn't involved with the circumcision thread, that I can recall, as a member or as staff - so I cannot comment upon it.

And, yes, ATS is a business. People tend to bandy that around as some proof of nefariousness. The reality is that every website on the Internet that gets more than a few hits is a business. Why single ATS out in that regard? To do so seems a bit misleading and vapid. No?

As to the quality of the remaining content? 100% member generated. So pointing 'blame" at staff isn't quite accurate. The "blame" lay in all our of mirrors if content is suffering. Be the change you want to see.

~Heff

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter
There used to be a time, when ATS was devoted to "real" conspiracy theory and the likes. When I joined in 2008, ATS was "the" site for learning, researching and sharing information that MSM and the Gov't's don't want us to know about.

Any more, it seems people are posting about zombies, vampires, werewolves, and all things fictional. This is not a Sci-Fi fan site. When did ATS turn in to this? What happened to the reasons ATS became the top site for conspiracy theories?

Instead, we have threads making claims with absolutely no sources, or with sources proven to be bogus or just plain fantasy posts. And for the most part, the Mod staff allows all this!

I miss the ATS of yesterday. And I have this putrid gut feeling, that we will never see ATS as it once was.
edit on 3/18/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: deleted the too many "the"s

The closer to any truths, the more the censorship. The rest is distraction!
Are true colours showing?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Well I will give you two answers. 1.Discredit of validation

2. Greatest Common Denominator of member intel level.

S A V V Y ?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

As if you did not know that already.

So, lets have an intergalactic keg party, I'll be in NYC on Sunday Night.

Some friends of mine in The Alice Cooper Band just joined The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I didn't read all the posts in this thread but i feel the same way as you do. A Mod and I had a brief discussion about this the other day. What irritated me i guess was the fact that the minute i log on,the first thing i see is someone claiming that dolphins and whales are responsible for the Japan situation via the use of alien technology. I used to recommend this site to friends of mine but threads like that chilling on the main page will not allow me to do that.

I then took it upon myself to have fun in the dolphin thread. If some crackpot can post something like that then i might as well get some enjoyment out of it. I'm not going to argue anymore about who should be able to post whatever nonsense flows from their feeble minds but don't get mad at me if i end up mocking them because that is just me. I am not nor have i ever been a skeptic but my intelligence and sound mind will only let me take things so far.

When someone posts stuff like that there can only be a few reasons.

1) Mental Illness - This is not something to be taken lightly. Some of you guys need some help and i wish you would seek it out before you become a danger to yourself and others.

2) Attention - If this applies to you then perhaps you should find a friend or two. Maybe buy a dog or another pet.

3) Stars & Flags - Not sure what the hype is about these things. I'm not sure if i have any at all and it isn't because i don't know how to check, it's because i don't really care. They don't pay the bills,put food on my table,raise my kids or any of the other important things in my real life.

I will not alter who i am just to be a member of this or any other website. I will not pander to the mentally disturbed,attention seekers,mods,grays,dolphins or anyone else just to fit in or continue to be a member of this site. I will however call it as i see it. If you are clearly misleading people with your nonsense i will call you on it and have many chuckles and giggles at your expense. If that gets me banned,warned,starred,flagged or whatever then so be it. Somehow i will find the strength to carry on.

Sorry for this long post but once i get going, sometimes it's hard to stop.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
in response to OP and in partial support of MODs and OP i will say this:

i came to this site because of its "intelligence" factor. my comings and goings being infrequent at first may have given me a lopsided view of the quality of information available here. this might have been due simply to my very specific interests being on the less mainstream side of the internet and thus leading me repeatedly to a site such as this considering its growing popularity (myself being part of an example of such an influx).

once i joined, i noticed trends in the threads being created at the particular times i was on the website (of course until disaster would strike and then the multiples would drown out much that i would find interest in). this site imho is much like any other type of "news discussion" site in that when disasters strike the truth MIGHT be out there... you just have to find it.

in regards to the threads i find an interest in, (not so much vampires) but many dealing with meta-physical or pseudo-scientific topics, i have found many well-organized thoughts and arguments. on the other side of the coin, as with any other site, you will find the "younger" crowd mouthing off and throwing words together in an attempt to try and complete a thought. you cannot escape this.

much like "heff's analogy," it is only after the honeymoon that you begin to bear the "burden" of marriage. i will close with this; if you do not like the pastures here where you chose to graze so long ago, when the grass was tall and the herd was thinner, then why don't you try the other side of the fence?
edit on 19-3-2011 by thegiftbearer because: mispelled herd

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   

reply to post by superman2012

Hmmmm...if that was directed at me for my OP, then perhaps you misread/misunderstood my OP, and you made a great representation of EXACTLY what I was talking about.

And if that reply wasn't aimed at my OP, then you need to specify who you're replying to.

It was directed at what you wrote. I don't know how I could have made it more clear. Please let me know how I can help you understand.

It wasn't directed at you as a person, but, rather others on here...I could post all their names and links to threads if I had a day to do it...plus there is no need to call someone out.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I will say it again I blame the damn FB connection. Just look at how newer members post, it's like a damn FB status update. They post a link and say "oh check this out" or "Wow I can't believe this" It's so damn annoying. I dont even click on those links and I wont flag or read the OPs thread. If they are too lazy to post what is actually in the article and give some personal thoughts on it then Im not reading it. It takes no time at all to do this and it's actually part of ATS' T&C. I give up on alerting, many of these threads just stay this way and it's BS imo. I know mods are people and can't be all over but maybe they need more mods or mods that are on often or something...IMO the boards need a good cleaning lol

It is in their OWN rules you must post from the article and your opinion. I have been on here this morning for an hour and more than half of the threads I clicked to read are ALL this way and it just annoys me.

I too miss the old ATS.

Ok I ranted in your rant
sorry

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uncrwnd5thEmperor

i'm new hello mad guy

Wow exact posts he is referring to..

This is the rant forum, so he is allowed to be mad and complain.

Stay here long enough and you might use this forum to vent here and there.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

Have you read the T&C? If you read them you should understand everything you just mentioned and why they do it.

Also the whole CGI thing, that isn't bad it's true. There are people from all over the world posting and no you shouldn't laugh at another person because they arent' familiar with something. I didn't see anything wrong with that thread by Springer.

The things you point out there are reasons why they do what they do.

Drug talk it allowed as long as personal use isn't mentioned and there is a forum for that as well.

Also when a thread gets out of control like the circumcision one they will close it esp after they have to warn people. If people are going to act like children they will be treated like one. I don't like it when a thread gets closed because some idiot can't follow rules but they are ATS' rules and if you can't abide by them then you should probably go elsewhere or just deal with it.

I dont like somethings on here but I respect the owners and their rules.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I have noticed that among the majority of the people replying to this thread, basically complaining about my OP and/or posting flames about my OP (a duck is a duck)...are from people who have Registered on ATS within the past 6 months.

That being said, perhaps those people embody the definition of Ignorance. How can they claim ATS hasn't changed since 2008? Judging from their Registration dates, they are relatively new to ATS. In the spirit of how ATS used to operate, if they can't prove that they have been here for 3 years solid, I can't believe they can truly form an opinion on the phases ATS has gone through in the past 3 years. They can claim they have been reading the ATS forums for a long time, but if they can't prove that, its not so.

A few members have replied with the exact type of attitude and haste that myself and a few others have duly noted. By doing so, they have only substantiated my claims and the claims of others.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Recent member, long time lurker.

Time and time again when someone confronts an op over their thread, their only form of retaliation is "Oh yeah, look at your sign up date"

You said in your write up about people posting about zombies.

Yeah, I read one that stated:

Japan + Industrial storage yards spilling countless quantities of toxic chemicals and biological agents into the stew + nuclear fallout + Over 10,000 dead bodies = Zombie Apocalypse.

COMPLETELY PLAUSIBLE!

Now the forum it was posted in was as follows, please read it carefully.

ATS Skunk Works: This forum is dedicated to the all-important highly speculative topics that may not be substantiated by many, if any facts and span the spectrum of topics discussed on ATS. Readers and users should be aware that extreme theories without corroboration are embraced in this forum. Discussion topics and follow-up responses in this forum will likely tend to lean in favor of conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups. Members who would seek to refute such theories should be mindful of AboveTopSecret.com's tradition of focusing on conspiracy theory, cover-ups, and scandals.

Another thread was about whats your weapon of choice if said zombie apocalypse ever happened.

The forum it was located in was SURVIVAL.

If you are reading a thread about vampires or werewolves or aliens then it goes into the GRAY AREA - PERSONAL STORIES.

The Gray Area: The Gray Area is a discussion forum that provides a dedicated area for members to post their confessions, disclosures, and related extraordinary personal experiences. Like the highly speculative Skunk Works forum, The Gray Area will tolerate topics that may be unusually hypothetical or unproven for the purpose of vetting the stories of thread-starters by the ATS membership at large.

Your rant is complete nonsense IMO because it really does make no sense at all to me.

Different forums for different topics.

edit on 19-3-2011 by FoxfilesMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by FoxfilesMulder

Thank you once again, for substantiating all the claims about people just like yourself. Instead of just replying with respectable rebuttal, you just HAVE to add insults like a 4th grader who can't get his own way.

You're a prime example of what goes on here on ATS. I applaud your participation in my Rant, which is credible and makes a lot of sense to many people (which you would realize, IF you actually read a lot of the replies).

Now, please keep the childish flaming out of my thread.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Yeah, and that's the reply you give to people who don't agree with you.

First you complain about their sign up date, then you complain they are being childish because they are not massaging your ego and going against the grain of your thread.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

First you complain about their sign up date, then you complain they are being childish because they are not massaging your ego and going against the grain of your thread.

Had to quote that for excellence. Thank you yet again

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Had to quote that for excellence. Thank you yet again

Had to re-quote that for excellence when someone disagrees with thread author.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I have no issue with you, or anyone else disagreeing with what I say. But I also will not hesitate to state the obvious.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join