It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upgraded Global Hawk UAV Achieves First Flight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The first air vehicle in a new production lot of upgraded RQ-4A Global Hawk unmanned aerial reconnaissance vehicles made its maiden flight on July 1. Designated AF-3, the newest Global Hawk flew from Northrop Grumman Corporation's manufacturing facility in Palmdale, Calif., to the Flight Test Center at Edwards Air Force Base.

The four-hour flight was flawless, adding to a long list of accomplishments for the U.S. Air Force's Global Hawk. Northrop Grumman is the Air Force's Global Hawk prime contractor.

"The first flight of AF-3 is a significant milestone for Global Hawk because it will be the first air vehicle from Lot 2 to be delivered to the Air Force with several combat-proven upgrades integrated into the system," said Carl O. Johnson, Northrop Grumman's Global Hawk vice president and integrated product team leader.

Global Hawk

EDIT: I fixed the link

[edit on 22-7-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Ur link doesn't work.
What are the upgrades? What makes it different?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I don't know why the link doesn't work its the right one but try this link and click on the Predator headline at the top of the page.

New Link

And here are the improvements done to the Global Hawk

The RQ-4B will accommodate a 50 percent increase in payload weight, and will feature a larger wingspan (130.9 feet), a longer fuselage (47.6 feet) and a new generator that can deliver 150 percent more electrical power. Northrop Grumman plans to deliver the first three RQ-4B air vehicles in 2006 as part of LRIP Lot 3.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
ooooooooooo!

Come on at least pretend you know how to post something good.

Now that were pointing out all these VERY IMPORTANT FACTS, my car usually is full with around 10.5 gallons but today it took 11 gallons. Just though i'd share this amazingly important information.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Haven't they had problems with earlier versions crashing? They are too d*mn expensive at 40,000,000 dollars each. This technology needs a lot of research before they execute it.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Actually just one actual crash and that was technically operator error. They fly just fine.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   
We have an ATS member who is working on UAVs at the UAV Battle Lab out in Nevada. I wonder if she would be able to give more details on this.
I'll U2U her.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Thats cool. I work on the Global Hawk program spacifically actually.

top topics

join