It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indonesia Issues Red Alert as Volcano Erupts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Indonesia Issues Red Alert as Volcano Erupts

newsinfo.inquirer.net

Indonesia issued a red alert Friday after Mount Karangetang on the island of Sulawesi erupted, sending lava and searing gas clouds down its slopes, a volcanologist said.

...the 1,784-meter (5,850-foot) mountain on the sparsely-populated island off North Sulawesi oozed lava, heat clouds and debris reaching as far as 3,800 meters away down its slopes.

"The eruption is still going on and its current activity remains high," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Call it the domino effect or a chain reaction - but the Earth is rumbling.

Since the 2004 earthquake-tsunami in Indonesia, it's becoming common knowledge that Quakes Trigger Quakes - and so do seismic testing, oil drilling, dams and more.

Geologists predicted back then that the 2004 earthquake could awaken Merapi - and it did - Merapi erupted in 2010.

Some effects are relatively immediate, some might take 10 years or more - but they happen.

Interesting planet we live on.

newsinfo.inquirer.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Why don't I see these news anywhere else? I was just checking The New York Times and nothing there, it is kind sad... :

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kromaion

ATS gets it early?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Does it? I'm new here I'm not really sure, if this is so, then it is great!

Let's just wait then...

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Going to do more research on this now!!!!

This is confirmed by numerous sources.
WOW.
The earth is upset with us.

edit on 18-3-2011 by Jazzscapez because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Id say ATS gets the news out there pretty fast. I think it probably has to do with the fact that a lot of members like to post the news and when a big event or event in general happens you wanna be the one to post it first. So there is a sort of competition involved with getting the news on the table ASAP. Which, I think is awesome!
I also like the fact that because of the variety of members we get an excellent variety of mainstream and alternate news.

Hopefully the people have been able to steer clear of any volcanic dangers. We're definitely learning a lot about the effects and after effects that earthquakes can cause and what can cause earthquakes. Hopefully big companies dont sell out and frack us over.

edit on 18-3-2011 by LetsTouch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire" where continental plates collide, causing frequent seismic and volcanic activity. The archipelago nation is home to 129 active volcanoes, including 21 on Java.

Looks like the ring of fire is getting alot of attention lately.
Lets hope that doesn't mean a EQ for the west coast.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Jazzscapez because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by kromaion
Why don't I see these news anywhere else? I was just checking The New York Times and nothing there, it is kind sad... :<

Good question ... I've also seen a lot of stuff on ATS that is never shown on MSM ... even something as large as a volcano ... makes you wonder if it really is true news .. or the MSM is simply screwing with people (more likely) ...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
This news is one week old.

Here's a link to the BBC report on it dated 13 March.
news.bbc.co.uk...

People - PLEASE check out facts before posting something which could trigger more fear, unnecessarily.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by legalizeit

If you want to know if its true..SEARCH ENGINES ARE YOUR FRIEND.
Just because its not "Confirmed" by MSM doesent mean its false information.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Yes, ATS gets it early. But the English mainstream is starting to catch up:

ABC Australia: Indonesia issues red alert as volcano erupts

Other nations are covering the news in other languages:

Gunung Karangetang Meletus, 45 KK Dievakuasi‎
Tempo Interaktif - 23 minutes ago
TEMPO Interaktif, Manado -Sebanyak 45 Kepala Keluarga (KK) di dua desa yang berada di kaki gunung Karangetang terpaksa dievakuasi. ...
Indonesia eleva el alerta por el volcán Karangetang‎
La Nueva Provincia - 55 minutes ago
Las autoridades indonesias elevaron hoy al máximo el nivel de alerta por el volcán Karangetang, situado en las isla Célebes y que entró en erupción hace una ...
Vulkanutbrott i Indonesien‎
Norra Västerbotten - 50 minutes ago
Indonesien har höjt sin krisberedskap efter att vulkanen Mount Karangetang på den glest bebodda ön Sulawesi fått ett utbrott. Vulkanen spyr ut lava och ...
Geologe rechnet mit Beben in Kalifornien – am kommenden Wochenende‎
The Intelligence - 21 minutes ago
März, das nach Angaben von USGS die Stärke 9,0 erreichte, der Vulkan Karangetang in Indonesien aktiv. Plötzlich austretendes Lava zwang zum Evakuieren der ...

...Population is sparse on Mount Karangetang and "The main threat is heat clouds that will be fatal for people living in villages on the slope."

An eruption from Karangetang won't be big news here because it won't affect industry and the economy like Japan - as far as I can tell, it's not even on any major flight paths.

imho, the significance of this news/eruption is the link to the Japan and Christchurch quakes, and evidence of ongoing geophysical instability.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

news.bbc.co.uk...

People - PLEASE check out facts before posting something which could trigger more fear, unnecessarily.

GOOD GRIEF!!!!! I am appalled at your lack of information. Your link is about Mount Merapi, NOT Karangetang‎ - moreover it's dated Saturday, 13 May 2006.

PLEASE check out facts before posting!

Also note: I dealt with the Merapi eruption in my OP:

Geologists predicted back then that the 2004 earthquake could awaken Merapi - and it did - Merapi erupted in 2010.

edit on 18/3/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

news.bbc.co.uk...

The irony of your post. You gave us a link but it is about Mt. Merapi and with the date posted on May 13, 2006!

As what you said, PLEASE check out facts before posting something....

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

RE: Your using a source from 2006 to accuse me of disseminating inaccurate, out-of-date information and of "trigger(ing) more fear, unnecessarily."

Facts: Mount Karangetang is erupting now; your source refers to Mount Merapi, which erupted in 2010; the Karangetang eruption isn't big news here because it won't affect industry and the economy, and doesn't seem to be on any major flight paths; but the significance of this news/eruption is the link to the Japan and Christchurch quakes, and evidence of ongoing geophysical instability.

As kromaion points out, many here do indeed rush to be first, and post "news" before anyone else does. That's not my goal. Your accusation is that "inaccuracy" [sic] causes "unnecessary" panic. Also not my goal. Moreover, I try consciously to be responsible, albeit by different standards than your own.

I have been monitoring geophysical activity (earthquakes and volcanoes) for at least a decade. My interest is two-fold: 1) the effects human activity has or may have on the planet's geophysical stability; and 2) the Western culture of ignorance that can't easily accommodate the idea of change and inconstancy, aka "instability."

My understanding is that ATS is committed to "Deny Ignorance."

I also am aware that there is a sub-population of posters on ATS who are committed to keeping people ignorant, supposedly to prevent "panic" - and mainly concerned with damage control. (The same people who don't believe in "democracy"?)

I take issue with damage control. Don't believe in it. Granted, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, and sometimes, a single piece of data can be picked up by all the "Chicken Littles" and blown way out of proportion.

But to my way of thinking, awareness is a developmental process - in Western culture, most akin to the Kübler-Ross model for the five stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance).

We all have to go through all the stages to get to acceptance - and hopefully, Maslow's level of "self-acutalization," if not "self-transcendence."

Unfortunately, Western culture and "the economy" are based on the Stability Myth - the idea that everything is stable, unchanging and constant. …It's a myth; it's wrong. But everything from our educational system to government-corporate damage control works to keep us ignorant and hoodwink us into thinking it's true.

Why? Population control.

An informed population is a growing, changing entity - far too much trouble for TPTB to control, and in the end, it's uncontrollable. So if people don't know the truth, if they're ignorant, then corporate-government controllers don't have to deal with a population spread all over the developmental map, all at various stages of "grief " ranging from denial, anger and bargaining to depression.

…By such standards, ignorance and an uninformed population is best.

But the truth is - the earth is NOT stable; the economy is NOT stable. Nothing is. And the fact is, the planet is rumbling and the Ring of Fire is active. Everything is connected; everything changes. Even continents and oceans, our sun and galaxy, and the universe. And surprise surprise, they're all interconnected.

…Other cultures accommodate the idea of change and inconstancy. We can too.

In short, I think you're wrong - fundamentally, absolutely, politically, philosophically, culturally and socially. You and your cronies have been accusing me of fear-mongering since I joined ATS; I accuse you of promoting ignorance.

I believe in Open Access to information; I believe people should be fully informed and allowed the freedom to process, assimilate and integrate new information, and make mistakes along the way. I believe in Denying Ignorance.

edit on 18/3/11 by soficrow because: sp

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
UPDATE

Indonesia volcano traps villagers between lava flows

A government official in the region said three villages, of about 300 people in all, had been evacuated but 40 people were trapped between two rivers filled with lava.

It was not clear if the trapped people were still alive.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Hope everyone is getting out of the risk zone of Mount Karangetang ok.
My sister used to live under the shadow of Merapi in Indonesia a few years back,but she wasn't there went it last erupted.
She did send a few pics of when small wisps of smoke were coming out of it though-I found them creepy,as though the great beast was just reminding the locals of its presence,and potential danger.

I know this latest Mount Karangetang eruption could potentially be nasty for the locals,and I hope they get out of harms way,but at least its not Lake Toba,which is basically the Indonesians version of Yellowstone.

Lake Toba is the site of a supervolcanic eruption that occurred 69,000-77,000 years ago,[2][3][4] a massive climate-changing event. The eruption is believed to have had a VEI intensity of 8.
It is believed to be the largest explosive eruption anywhere on Earth in the last 25 million years. According to the Toba catastrophe theory to which some anthropologists and archeologists subscribe, it had global consequences, killing most humans then alive and creating a population bottleneck in Central Eastern Africa and India that affected the genetic inheritance of all humans today

en.wikipedia.org...

Reading that sort of made me have another moment of feeling how small and insignificant we really are in the scheme of things...
But we have such potential as well.
Regards,S s

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Thanks Silcone Synapse.

RE: Lake Toba in Indonesia. 74,000 years ago that single eruption is thought to have reduced humans to just several thousand breeding pairs.

I have never heard a more compelling argument for free unfettered Open Access to Information and universal education.

Underground fortified strongholds, seed vaults and DNA banks notwithstanding, there are no guarantees. Much as many might think we can, we really will NOT get to choose the survivors. Best to make sure everyone is able to carry on the best of the human legacy.

"The best laid plans of mice and men gang oft awry."

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kromaion
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Does it? I'm new here I'm not really sure, if this is so, then it is great!

Let's just wait then...

Thanks!

I've been coming here about 6 months, and ATS has proven itself over and over to be AMAZING with providing breaking news and related documentation and links. When last Friday's quake hit Japan, I logged on here first. Welcome!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
UPDATE

Karangetang volcano (Sangihe Islands, Indonesia): eruption increasing

This event is getting a lot more coverage since I first posted a couple of hours ago:

Indonesia issues alert as volcano erupts
Sky News Australia - 5 minutes ago
Indonesia issued a red alert on Friday after Mount Karangetang on the island of Sulawesi erupted, sending lava and searing gas clouds down its slopes, ...

Indonesian Volcano Causes Red Alert - Worldnews.com
18 Mar 2011 ... A volcanologist said on Friday that Indonesia issued a red alert after Mount Karangetang on the island of Sulawesi erupted, sending lava and ...

Red alert for Indonesia - 6 minutes ago
1 - Newstalk ZB
18 Mar 2011 ... Indonesia's Mount Karangetang has erupted, causing lava and debris to travel four kilometres down its slopes - a red alert has been issued. ...

Alert Level at Indonesia Volcano Raised to Highest - 11 minutes ago
-- Earth ...
18 Mar 2011 ... Mount Karangetang. Indonesia has raised the alert level at one of its most active volcanos to the highest after it repeatedly sent hot ...

Red alert for Indonesia

Alert Level at Indonesia Volcano Raised to Highest - 11 minutes ago
Tag: Disasters and Accidents - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting ...
18 Mar 2011 ... Indonesia has issued a red alert after Mount Karangetang on the island of Sulawesi erupted, sending lava and searing gas clouds down its ...

Indonesia issues red alert as volcano erupts- 14 minutes ago
Indonesia issues red alert as volcano erupts - Channel NewsAsia
19 Mar 2011 ... Indonesia issued a red alert Friday after Mount Karangetang on the island of Sulawesi erupted, sending lava and searing gas clouds down its ...

www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1117395/1/.html - 15 minutes ago

top topics

<<   2 >>

join