It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama: The Weakest President In History?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by torqpoc
reply to post by centurion1211

Thank you for the post however your source is the Express? Seriously?

Another "shoot the messenger" comment.

When will people understand how lame these kinds of comments are? It would be easy to find anyone who thinks any particular news source is not valid based on their own particular bias or preference.

If one is willing to look at the bigger picture, a key point being made here is that these kinds of observations on obama are being made by more and more people from all over the world, and how big a "change" that is from just 2 years ago.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I have to say I am completely torn on my opinion regarding President Obama's actions. One part of me thinks that he was over-hyped and is not a strong enough person to be president. The other part wonders if his 'hands off' approach to everything going on is in response to the common world opinion that America meddles too much in world affairs. (and some of that is true) Maybe his cool approach has been in answer to those critics. And to be honest, I'm holding out hope that he is just being cautious, not weak.

The only thing I know for sure is it has become a darned if you do and darned if you don't situation.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Dear Projectvxn,
Oh trust me I got where you were coming from straight off the bat. Your perception is yours, and contextually sure, you're right.

I was talking about the views of the president from the outside of the US, as per the OP. Since the OP posted something from a UK newspaper I went down that track. You get where i'm coming from right?

I wouldn't even presume to comment on how your president governs internally, since I don't know squat about it.

So, if I ruffled your feathers, sorry but I don't think you got my jist there.

Peace and may your president find his cohones sometime soon huh?

You should try Cameron for a day or two, he's a limp wristed lettuce leaf.

Regards,
T

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Dear Centurion1211,

Another overreaction huh? Seriously, go take a look at my post and get off the soap box a second. The Express isn't the best newspaper to quote and that was ALL I was remarking on. Your OP was good, all I did was slap the newspaper, not you.

Over sensitive much? Come on, no need to make a melodrama about it.

My oh my, lol.

Edit - Just had to add this. How lame of you to take my quote completely out of context also. I live in the so called countries remarking on your president, so .. who's shooting which messenger here?

Regards,
T

edit on 18-3-2011 by torqpoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by torqpoc

Not all of us believe that Fox news is entirely wrong all the time. Do they get things wrong? Yes, as does everyone else.

People hate them because they're not your typical left wing news organization. And if it's not left wing it must not be true, right?

Fox is ONE TV channel among MANY that promote the left wing agenda in this country.

So who's the MSM?
edit on 18-3-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I'm going to have to go with the last 9 presidents this great nation have had are weak as all hell. They all lack vision and remind me of a sock puppet with the corporations hand's up their @##.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Procession101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Although Obama is weak as a leader...he is in good company, as far as US Presidents go. Many will only look back at the most recent and familiar presidents...however, our history has more than a few lack-luster leaders.

Pres. Buchannan.... saw the Civil War coming, had all kinds of civil strife and out right rebellion in Kansas/ Missouri, actually had the state governments proposing legislation for secession, only aggravated the problems with tarrifs and taxes...and did nothing. Nada.

Pres. Grant... administrated over an economy in recession, basically bungled the westward movement and oversaw "Custer's Last Stand," and is noted for what? Being a Civil War general... his greatest contribution was his autobiography.

How about Tyler, Tayler, Fillmore, Harding,...remember those shinning stars?

Who was President when the White house got burned to the ground, Washington was over-run by the british, and the US Army got swept aside... in fact the 2 biggest events of the war of 1812...we didn't lose Baltimore...we didn't win...we just didn't lose...and the Battle of New Orleans was won after the treaty was signed...President Madison. He actually served two terms....

Pres. Obama will be remembered as the first black President and the president that oversaw the rapid decline of the US.... maybe something good will happen...we can only hope.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Bwahahahahaha!

When the US stops meddling in EVERYBODY elses business, than you can use that card.

Until then, deal with the fact that the US WANTED to be the ONLY superpower. That means being held to an entirely different level than anybody else.

It's pretty simple really...you don't want others to judge your leadership, don't force your leadership upon others.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by peck420

In the end that BS doesn't matter. He's answerable ONLY to the American people. Not the global "community".

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
He isn't the weakest president until he gives away the Panama Canal.

But let's itemize where we've been

1. Un-did Bush's promise to built an anti-missle shield for the poles and eastern europe. Why? because Putin told him to, that's why.

2. He has implied that a nuclear Iran is inevitable.

3. He has apologized to the arab world, in a way that embarrassed most arab leaders. (apology has different implications in Arab culture, implying that the listener isn't intelligent enough to see that you made a mistake, and needs it pointed out to them.)

4. He bowed to other heads of state, on multiple occasions, implying that he is less sovereign than they are.

5. Refused to aid populist forces anywhere in the Middle East.

6. Used "conciliatory language" when the North Koreans shelled South Korea

He still thinks he is teaching law school.

As for the posters who think the US president or people should care about the opinions of "the rest of the world" (by which they mean Europe): It is a waste of time for the US to seek anyone's approval, since Americans cannot get it even when they do the EU's bidding (like bombing Serbia back into the stone age).

There is zero payoff for the US in worrying about what Europe wants. Recent presidents have been far to concerned with defending "Europe's Oil" (Iraq, Libya) instead of developing our own oil and coal.

To paraphrase Ronald Reagan:

We may earn other countries' respect, but we should never try to make them love us. Trying to make someone love you is sick because it amounts to trying to control their emotions, or letting them control yours.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
He is not any weaker or stronger than any of the other "rubber stamp" presidents. It has been a long time since there was a Kennedy or a (gasp) Andrew Jackson.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

This is the new paradigm - the carrot on the string that we chase. We will happily put up with problems today because we can blame the POTUS, and look forward to the next election for remedy, rather than pursuing it today.

IMO Obama has neither been bad nor good. He's lukewarm at a time when we need a strong leader. This is enough to make him seem insufferable and totally incompetent.

A few years ago I literally said the words "I don't care who wins, I'm just happy that Bush is headed out the door". I now see the mistake in my logic. In 2 or 6 years I think many others will also come to the realization that we're being played. We don't try to fix what we've got, or to work with it. Our disposable mentalities just lead us to seek to push the "reset" button.

Unfortunately real life isn't about resetting or respawning - yet they've made us all buy into this notion.

~Heff

Very well said. I had to take a moment and take in all that has transpired over the past couple of years since he has been in office. Pretty jaw dropping if you think about it. I so wanted to believe that this one individual could solve the problems I felt needed solving asap. For every problem I felt should have been a priority, there were nations of people who felt their needs took precedence as well.

I sometimes feel we are impatient when it comes to others fixing problems. As individuals, we will make strides to correct our own short comings or flaws, usually with tremendous misgivings mixed with a multitude of excuses when things don't go as planned. With that in mind, apply that same type of patience, and persistence we allow for ourselves to "get it together", to someone who has more on his or her plate than we would care to ponder.

I really want to point a finger at the President in frustration for not fixing the issues I am so passionate about or the holding steadfast to keeping all of his commitments he promised to fulfill.

Before I can throw that stone, I have to ask myself what would I do if I was in his position? The media picking apart every single move I even think about making. The thought that if I do or don't make a certain decision could mean dire hardship, consequences, or God forbid death for a multitude of people. My cabinet members sometimes against me, and oppositions painting me to be a non-citizen while questioning my faith.

As someone on the outside looking into a window filled with a host of issues that I will never understand and be privy to; I have to be certain that I'm giving the President some of the same reasoning I would give myself to fix my little everyday issues, to fix the world issues.

I'm not disregarding other posters complaints about the President. I'm just asking everyone to stop for a second and give thought to some of the situations that were in place before and immediately after he came into office.

He signed up for the task of leading a nation in trouble, no small task and he did after all want the job. However, the fixes we need to put this nation and the world back on track, will take time to correct with effort from us all. It may just take longer than we all anticipated given the current state of events.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Dear Dr_Strangecraft,

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
since Americans cannot get it even when they do the EU's bidding (like bombing Serbia back into the stone age)

Can you please provide your source for above? I was under the distinct impression a lot of countries were involved in helping resolve the Croatian/Serbian conflict.

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
There is zero payoff for the US in worrying about what Europe wants. Recent presidents have been far to concerned with defending "Europe's Oil" (Iraq, Libya) instead of developing our own oil and coal.

Again, can you provide a source for this. Isn't oil produced by Iraq and Libya also going to the US? So shouldn't it be considered the world's or at the very least the Western World's oil if you wish to be specific?

Edit - Am I the only European on ATS who gets a general feeling (and this is a massive stereotype generalisation) that Americans have an "issue" with Europe and take out their xenophobia to the extreme? Aren't we past this?

Regards,
T

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I remember all the hype like it was yesterday. Everyone was telling me that finally, someone who knows how to run things will get in power. I of course had my hopes too, but I kept saying, "Don't count all your eggs just yet". Of course people scoffed at me, they *knew* that Obama was the right man for the job.

Today they've done a complete 180. I had just the other day spoken to a buddy of mine who was a stark Obama supporter say that he feels like he's been betrayed and that he's grown disenchanted with it all. I told him, no one man could ever live up to all the hype Obama received and people were setting themselves (as well as Obama) up for a big disappointment.

I don't hate the guy, no more then I did Bush. But when push comes to shove, he'll be the one getting shoved. (And in return, every American and everyone who relies on America.)

I personally liked Ron Paul (and still do) and was hoping he'd win. Of course, everyone made a joke of him on the air and didn't give him a chance. He's not perfect, but he's at least better then the other choices that were available.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This all plays into the perception and ignorant view point that the president, regardless of who they may be can 'fix' things. Their powers are very limited. Given that, President Obama has exhibited a lack of true leadership at the White House.

The country is getting hammered financially; the president leaves the country. Not that he shouldn't take a vacation, but where are the outcries that were heard when President Bush would retreat to his ranch, similar to President Obama jet-setting around the world.

There have been numerous signs of lack of leadership from President Obama and its effects are felt down to the People. We don't expect him (at least I don't) to fix things, but give some vision and then fight for that vision. I don't like his policies nor do I like his politics, but he hasn't done much to even inspire me to get behind anything he wants done, because I have no idea what it is he wants done.

Although looking in a vacuum, we would expect the president to utilize the bully pulpit and get the People behind his ideas; President Kennedy was a master at this with the mobilization of our space efforts. Obama has checked out. Letting those who surround him to run the show.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Another deflection attempt trying to turn this into a discussion about how a source is quoted.

Really??? That's all you have???

You love obama, that's fine. How about starting your own threads on the topic of what a great job he is doing instead of deflecting others?.

Good luck, however, on finding any reputable sources to quote - one way or another - on that.

edit on 3/18/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Yeah I think Obma is weak. I voted for him and am very dissapointed in the lack of "change" which has developed. That said I make my money from the equity markets and the equity markets are up 50%+ since Obama took over, so i am not entirely unhappy.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join