It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada expected to join in airstrikes against Libya

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
ok so we are getting ready for the attack on Gadhafi's troops. Just another UN sanctified attack. Now Canada is involved. i wonder why Russia and China are against it. Any ideas? Honestly what is the point of the UN if they dont even need all the votes to do someting. I think the UN should have 100 percent agreement before they are able to do anything. well here is the article i found.
www.timescolonist.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jaycen420

Canada is expected to be involved, expected, not involved. I have to say at this point, I support whatever action is needed to remove the tyrant from power and free the people of Libya. If we're going to partner up with "Team America World police" we'd best start actually going into countries that need help, not just the ones with oil.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jaycen420

Two things that I have to say on this subject.

1. Last I heard they are doing a no-fly zone, not going to bomb Libya so I wouldn't call it air strikes.

2. If they needed everyone in the UN to agree on something then nothing would ever get passed. The chances of every single member country of the UN agreeing on something is slim to none.

You also asked why didn't the China, Germany, and Russia vote? Well basically the answer to that is that they don't want to approve the No Fly Zone, but at the same time they aren't really against it. So its easier to abstain and basically say they are washing there hands of it.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Canada is sending 15 CF-18 to help enforce the no fly zone.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

Airstrikes against Gadhafi's forces were authorized to begin immediately after the United Nations Security Council narrowly approved a resolution late Thursday stating "all necessary measures" can be taken to protect Libyan civilians -short of a military occupation of the country.

From the Ops link. The mission that has been authorized is to ground the Libyan air-force. You can't do this with a no fly zone alone, this would probably require limited air strikes against military bases / airports.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Fox Molder

ya i herd they are sending the Aircrafts from Iceland

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaycen420
reply to post by Fox Molder

ya i herd they are sending the Aircrafts from Iceland

Yeah, there are in better shape and have less hours on them. Plus they have the latest "upgrades" on them. Bagotville plane are on standby.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

China and Russia never agree to any military action against another country whatever the reason - apparently they always abstein (according to Sky news anyway)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I would like to know more about the U.N and how they go about selecting which countries are involved with situations like this.Was the meeting televised? Why Canada? I know it is not going to be a solo effort but there are countries much much more effected by this alot closer to Libya. Just wondering.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcat99

China and Russia never agree to any military action against another country whatever the reason - apparently they always abstein (according to Sky news anyway)

1) They abstain as they don't want to set precedent that could be used against them...human rights champions that they are.
2) Of course Steve is sending planes...so he can justify his F-35 envy.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I applaud the decision to involve the Canadian Air Force in this action.

This a very clear case of need to act, both from a humanitarian point of view and from a strategic point of view. It is also important to show we, the West, can act in concert with the Arab League in times of trouble like this...that it does not always have to be "us versus them".

The more we act together in times of crisis, the more we come together as a responsible community of nations...thereby helping to avoid future conflicts that are based on ideological reasons.

In order to enforce a no-fly zone, as our aircraft need to be able to cruise Libyan air space with impunity, we will have to take out all anti-aircraft defenses and control systems...then knock down anything that tries to take off.

In addition, since the UN has authorized all necessary measures to protect citizens, it is likely that Gadhafi land forces massing outside of major rebel strongholds will be subject to attack as well.

This will give the rebels the space they need to fight back...and give more incentive for additional loyalist forces to defect to the rebel side.

The question is...as it always is in these situations...who or what will we end up having to deal with after Gadhafi is ousted?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
F-35 envy....Good god man...The present pilots flying our F-18s are some of the bravest aviators in the world. Those things are so old that we have to MAKE the parts from scratch....They've stopped supplying them!! Wake up !!! We NEED those new planes...What do you want Canada to do..Buy the old Russian Migs ???? Maybe the old Israel Typhoons ??? Come on...We have had any "new" airplanes since we purchased the U.S.A's antiquated F-18's in the early 90's !!!

Now...Let the work begin, help those people that stand for freedom in the face of tyranny, see to it that they too have a chance top experience true freedom !

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Personally, I think we will overthrow Ghaddafi, however we will probably overdue our stay like we did in Iraq. That's my main concern with this matter.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
As someone mentioned if 100% UN agreement was required nothing would ever get done from the smallest to the biggest thing.

As for those who didn't vote. I'm sure some (like Germany) just wanted their hands to be clean if the whole things ends up being a big mess like Iraq / Afghanistan.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Molder
F-35 envy....Good god man...The present pilots flying our F-18s are some of the bravest aviators in the world. Those things are so old that we have to MAKE the parts from scratch....They've stopped supplying them!! Wake up !!! We NEED those new planes...What do you want Canada to do..Buy the old Russian Migs ???? Maybe the old Israel Typhoons ??? Come on...We have had any "new" airplanes since we purchased the U.S.A's antiquated F-18's in the early 90's !!!

So let's have a transparent process...final costs, bids and other such apparent irrelevancies.

Now...Let the work begin, help those people that stand for freedom in the face of tyranny, see to it that they too have a chance top experience true freedom !

As much as I like to see freedom thrive, I have an innate skepticism kicking in whenever the West sends the cavalry into...shall we say "difficult?"...oil producing nations. How about freedom in Africa? Saudi Arabia? Need I go on?
edit on 18-3-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
of course Canada is getting involved. I ask you, when has Canada NOT been involved in a war??? Anyone who doesn't think Canada is a military player I urge you to do some research and read about the country's involvement outside of WW1 and 2.

Canada has a very shady military past...and still does.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Hummm..Clear and transparent...Ok...Let's go out to tender and ask all the companies out there to make us an F-35 joint strike fighter for cheaper than we are going to pay for it now. This is a mass produced strike plane for a multitude of countries, you seriously think we are getting screwed on price ???Come on now....Please explain to me how we could get the best new striker for cheaper ?

As for the other comment...Don't get me wrong, I'm skeptical too but when a population of one country stand up on it's own against it's Government with no help from no one.....Maybe they deserve some backing up and that's just what we are doing...We will be "backing" them up from the skies and letting them revolt on the ground !

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
They're sending their fleet of two biplanes over on they biggest military clipper ship.

It should be interesting.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by loagun
of course Canada is getting involved. I ask you, when has Canada NOT been involved in a war??? Anyone who doesn't think Canada is a military player I urge you to do some research and read about the country's involvement outside of WW1 and 2.

Canada has a very shady military past...and still does.

Please elaborate on that.

After WW2 we have been involved in 1..ONE war and that's Afghanistan as a back up to the U.S. going to Iraq.

The rest are all peace missions, yes some required defensive gun fire but please, if you know more than me, do explain.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
They're sending their fleet of two biplanes over on they biggest military clipper ship.

It should be interesting.

Pretty much but please talk to some of the U.S. Navy guys that go on U.N exercise with our Canadian Navy....Our little clippers keep "sinking" the big bad aircraft carriers and destroyers before they even catch a glimpse of them.,....LOL

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join