It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Department of Justice Releases Investigative Findings Involving the New Orleans Police Department

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Department of Justice Releases Investigative Findings Involving the New Orleans Police Department

www.thecypresstimes.com

Following a comprehensive investigation, the Justice Department today announced its findings that the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) has engaged in patterns of misconduct that violate the Constitution and federal law. The investigation, announced on May 15, 2010, was conducted pursuant to the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 and Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
The Justice Department’s thorough and independent investigation involved extensive community engagement and in-depth review of NOPD practice
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.justice.gov
www.nytimes.com

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Here's some of the findings..

The Justice Department found reasonable cause to believe that patterns and practices of unconstitutional conduct and/or violations of federal law occurred in several areas, including:
Use of excessive force;
Unconstitutional stops, searches and arrests;
Biased policing, including:
Racial and ethnic profiling and lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transgender (LGBT) discrimination;
A systemic failure to provide effective policing services to persons with limited English proficiency; and
A systemic failure to investigate sexual assaults and domestic violence.

This looks like a step in the right direction, although with the long history of misdeeds it's going to take time for the NOPD to earn the folks trust I would assume. I certainly hope that one of the moves made in this effort is to identify those who need to be held accountable for their crimes.

The actual gov reports are available at the first additional news link in the above post ^^

www.thecypresstimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Fri, 18 Mar 2011 06:58:46 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Well, it's a start, hopefully it will actually go somewhere. I lived in NO in the '70s and these same charges would have applied equally well then. This pattern of abuse is very well established and will not be easily changed.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

This is why we have a Federal Government. I am glad to see it being used to protect the individual from groups of people who would deny those individuals the right to live peacefully and with rights afforded to them under the Constitution. I am all for state rights, but there is a definite need to have those states monitored to protect the individual. This is the proper role of the Federal Government and I am glad to see them doing their job.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Nothing new here at all.. Its about time the Feds got around to filtering the sludge out of that pool down there. A person could see it coming a mile away when they decided to confiscate legal handguns during Katrina.

Heck going back years before that, they lost insurance because one of thei rofficer got drunk and had an accident while on duty in a patrol vehicle.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

your statement intrigued me

true,,, good we have higher authority to check runaway state/local power

but where is the check to federal level,,, it was supposed to be the 3 branches,,, constitution,,,,,,,,however that system has been completely dismantled and intentionally overan//disregarded. end arounds etc

is it the UN, the IMF, WHO,,,,,,,,,,,, uh no they're just as bad, if not worst

and we may all agree that the abuses are the worst at the top echelons

imagine the abuses in the military industrial complex that we probably have no idea about, the cia, little groups with agendas

even what happened with abramhoff, people went along with it completely, and without fear,,, let's do it, get it done
scary

main st is fruming and wants retribution for wall st greed,,,, which at the minimum would be criminal prosecutions where warranted and maybe beatings and public persecutions,,, banishment from society

where is it, who's wroking on it????????

i agree with you,,, but even more scared when i think who checks the federal gov't.........yikes!!!!!

join