It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Officials Raise Estimate of Death Toll on Lower WTC Floors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Nearly 3 years after that tragic day in New York, federal investigators are still trying to find out exactly how and why so many people died in the airplane attacks on the WTC. They now beleive that more people died below the impact floors that previously thought.

www.cnn.com
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal investigators analyzing evacuation patterns at the World Trade Center estimate more people than previously thought died below the areas hit by the hijacked planes.

The National Institute of Standards and Technology is conducting an extensive review of the collapse of the towers. Between 567 and 610 people died below the impact floors, "somewhat higher than previously thought," lead investigator Shyam Sunder said Tuesday.

The agency's interim figures estimate 1,466 building occupants died in World Trade Center Tower 1, the vast majority, 1,356 people, at or above the impact site. In Tower 2, the second to be struck, 624 office workers were killed, and only six of those were below the impact site. More than 400 emergency responders were killed in the twin towers below the impact floors.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A lot of this information comes form in person interviews and phone interviews, rergardless of how the information is gotten, It's good to see that someone is working to find out all that we can about this tragedy.

I hope that something good can come from these investigations and maybe, just maybe give some more closure to the familys.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by Nerdling]

[edit on 21-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
They will never have an accurate number of people who perished in the WTC! This is all speculation which any one of us can do.

This is just another attempt for someone to "jump on the bandwagon"and
a waste of Federal resources.

Some known victims, proven it was them by DNA, had funerals with body parts. For some, one body part however large it was.

These were for the victims unfortunate/fortunate enough to have a body part still intact after the building collapsed where DNA testing was utilized.

This is just more propaganda. What they need to be putting their research and monies into is having intelligence out there to prevent these tragedies and prosecuting those who are responsible.

This is like closing the barn door after the cow got out.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by mako0956]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I disagree... I don't see it as a waste... spending money on some of the research topics that get funded.. ( can't think of a good example right now ) is a waste of money.

I'm glad that this is still being looked into and investigated. I want all the information about the WTC tragedy that can be found, regardless of where it comes from, that way we all can have our own opinions.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Here's what we're looking at:

"We have determined more people died in the WTC. We can't prove who they are or where they came from, or why they were there, but we know they were there.

To the families, we can't prove or disprove the victims who were there and you can't collect any insurance or monies designated to victims of the WTC. You'll still have to file a missing persons report and wait for the time your insurance coverage allows for a missing person to collect on your policy if, this is included in your policy".

What and who benefits from this research?

Certainly not the victims nor their families.

Anything here is speculation. Given the location, the businesses located within, all aspects considered, yeah, the victim count should be much higher- it doesn't take an idiot to figure that one.

Unfortunately, they won't be able to prove it with or without this research- which is what alot of families really need to put closure to their tragedy.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I wasn't talking about the research to find more victims or I.D. them, I mean research in general, anything and everything pertaining to that day.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The research they need to be funding is improving intelligence to prevent this from happening again and use the resources to find the people responsible.

The article is talking about the actual victims- how many actually perished.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
And I agree, there are alot of b/s Federally funded programs that are a waste.

top topics

join