It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Weighs Need to Bury Nuclear Plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Japanese engineers conceded on Friday that burying a crippled nuclear plant in sand and concrete may be the only way to prevent a catastrophic radiation release, the method used to seal huge leakages from Chernobyl in 1986.....

It was the first time the facility operator had acknowledged that burying the sprawling complex was an option, a sign that piecemeal actions such as dumping water from military helicopters were having little success.

So the facility operator is admitting current actions to cool the radiator are not really working to plan.

www.cnbc.com...

And Fox reporting....

Japan Reaches Out to U.S. in 'Race Against the Clock' to Avert Nuclear Disaster

Japan reached out Friday to the U.S. for help in reining in the crisis at its dangerously overheated nuclear complex, while the U.N. atomic energy chief called the disaster a race against the clock that demands global cooperation.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

I'm not too certain they have this situation under control, as we are told to believe. No wonder countries around the world are urging their citizens to get out of the country. It would be quite irresponsible not to.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
s + f

this plant was doomed from the moment the earthquake struck and they found cesium and iodine outside the plant!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Don't know how they would even begin to bury it, dump tons and tons of sand into it until it represents a massive mole hill?

What exactly are they going to bury it with? If it's sand I'm going to lul really hard.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Bury the plant? Fukushima Daiichi's operator reportedly said on Friday the utility was not ruling out the option of entombing the plant in concrete as a last resort to prevent a catastrophic radiation leak.

BBC

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by CordDragonzord

My guess is that rather then burying it, it would be more of shelter a in giant steel, iron or concrete coffin.
edit on 18-3-2011 by iced_blue because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Just reported in the breaking news headlines of BBC link above : Official level of Fukushima nuclear alert is raised from four to five by Japanese authorities.

And that is the Japanese authorities raising the alert level.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
If I was a Japanese citizen, I'd grab some material and swim on over to South Korea at least the radiation wouldn't blow my way for a while.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by surrealist
And Fox reporting....

Japan Reaches Out to U.S. in 'Race Against the Clock' to Avert Nuclear Disaster

Thanks to these ridiculous "Race Against The Clock" stories, burials should've been started about a week ago when the reactors exploded and sent plumes of radiation into the sky.

But no, they had to put on a week's worth of dog 'n pony shows of "Partial Meltdowns!" and "Save the Reactors!"

I'm certain Mike Rivero of What Really Happened was right when he declared about Day 2 that every reactor that exploded had already melted down.

Even the Japanese equivalent of the NRC said the explosions were caused by the meltdowns.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
With each passind day, i realize that the situation is extremely bad at the Fukushima plant.So, it is a week already, we had 4 explosion (all at diferent reactors with diferent damage extent) one fire (who was extinguished once-at least they said that-then started to burn again) and multiple steam releases to ease presure into contaiment chambers (no iddea how many, because at a point, the steam was continously escaping).

Sealing the entire area in sand and concrete (yes, the ENTIRE area, all 6 reactors) it will be possible AFTER the inside fires in spent rods pools will be put out.They can't just drop sand and concrete on top of those reactors before fires will be put out.Its not that easy at it sounds.

Even if they succesfully extingush the fires and encase the entire area in sand and concrete...let's not forget that this is NOT inland Ukraine in Europe, where we have like no earthquakes (we have some, but not huge ones).
This is Japan, where a point 8 or 9 earthquake most likely will not damage the huge concrete encasing...but most likely will produce fractures underneath the encasing...that could trigger radiation release 10 or 20 km of the encasing site, underneath earth.

Once the encasing is in place, NOTHING will stop the meltdown and all 6 cores will melt thru the steel chamber into the earth.I am not even start to think what kind of temperature and pressure will be under the encasing (with the cores interacting with underneath freatic waters) because i am not an expert in this nor a physicist.
But i don't need to be one to know that the interaction under the encasing between the cores and the water will at least build up a lot of pressure due to steam release.

I have a grim feeling about this.I know that there is no known solution to this but ultimately encasing the # in concrete.But i know that after this will be done , that area will be a sleeping radioactive volcano.A new powerfull earthquake might ''help'' all that buildup pressure and all the radioactive materials under the encasing to be released, either with a huge blast just under the encasing, or slowly geting out in another part of the area.

I simply feel that this # is not over, and it will become worse, sadly.And that is nothing humanity can do about it.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by surrealist
Just reported in the breaking news headlines of BBC link above : Official level of Fukushima nuclear alert is raised from four to five by Japanese authorities.

ANOTHER bit of silliness, like the DHS color-coded Terror Warning System.

They said Three Mile Island was a five.

A "partial meltdown" is like being partially pregnant.

Fukushima should've been declared a seven as soon as the explosions occurred.

edit on 3/18/2011 by GoldenFleece because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
They need to bury it NOW imo. What are they waiting for? All they've achieved so far is leakage of radiation.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz
They need to bury it NOW imo. What are they waiting for? All they've achieved so far is leakage of radiation.

Out of sight, out of mind is a crappy first line of defence.

Apparently the word 'earthquake' is lost on those planning to entomb this disaster. If it happened once, it'lll happen again. Nobody knows when, but based on the fact the whole area sits on a fault line, they're just begging for problems.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I wonder what the timeframe will look like for this op if they go through with it. I was watching CNN earlier, and the meteorologist was talking about some lunar phenomenon that will be causing "astronomically high tides" and that some other places in Japan are already beginning to flood.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
They need to get the international efforts going today to start entombing it. And go all out on this, don't spare any expenses, we actually waste money all the time this is not a waste it's a good expenditure.

We need to take volunteers for the efforts to do this job.
And get everyone globally on diverting all the concrete and dirt that they can spare to the effort.
Also I highly suggest after building a sarcophagus to seriously consider building a Stone structure or two over that too.

I just want this thing contained. I realize at this point these guys cannot control it.
There is already too much pollution. I just want a lid on this Pandora's box right now plz!!

Sorry but I just feel like the Government, the Corporations, and We the People, have failed me. We failed ourselves. Our children are going to pay for this.

This is totally unacceptable in every way I am sorry.
Humanity needs to clean up it's act, pronto.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

We need to take volunteers for the efforts to do this job.

I personally call them suicide Workers rather than volunteers, because this is the point, you have to be a HERO to do a job like that, just like the Chernobyl workers, they have given their life's for the sake of us all.

No offense i agree with you 100% we HAVE to do something about this mess.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by iced_blue

they would first bury the reactors in concreate and then entomb them in a concrete dome

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
In the end, this is the only thing they can do.

It will be a while though. If things dont cool down, they cant bury it. It will simply melt whatever they bury it in.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
If they bury the plant then we have learned nothing in 26 years.

To resort to the same conclusion as people did in 1986 is pathetic. What's the point of all this damn technology if it cannot help us when we need it.

I am embarrassed of the scientific community that no other options have been thought of in the last 26 years when a situation like this arises.

Bury the plant? Last ditch effort because we are not expanding science like we once were.

We need to invest money in this industry if it continues, which it will, as this is cannot happen again.

All the old plants should be updated to meet much higher requirements than we could think about, I don't care if the sky was falling these reactors need to withstand anything. If we cannot make them foolproof they should not be functioning, if it takes too much money to make them all safe then tough sh!t, shut them down.

Japan as an island should be harnessing tidal energy, think about the possibilities, they are endless. They could be a pioneer of this technology.

I am embarrassed that it has come to bury the plant. Another pathetic band aid of our ignorance...

Pred...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
A FB contact of mine said this to me :

In Japan the plant is near the coast and the water table is very close to the surface of the ground. If they cover over the top with sand and lead and concrete they will keep the radiation out of the... air as they did at Chernobyl, but unless they seal the bottom, which is basically impossible the radioactive material will almost certainly leech down into the water table and be dispersed into the sea. The only way I see to prevent that would be to construct a massive caisson around the perimeter of the plant to a depth far below the coastal water table forming a damn all the way around the sides as well as a cover over the top. I don't know if that is really feasible. But I think they will have to address that issue in the long run because that plant is basically on the beach.

new topics

top topics

join