It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DoD Bans Service Members From Viewing Youtube, Other Sites.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
The Department of Defense has banned service members from accessing Youtube, ESPN, and other popular websites. They say it is because they need the bandwidth to conduct ongoing rescue operations in Japan.

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you: it's in the Everglades, it goes nowhere, and it was constructed by unicorns flying out of my butt with nothing but fairy dust.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
You can always view youtube at home... Why view it at work? You shouldn't be, actually.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
The earthquake, in addition to causing massive damage to Japan, has also severed underwater cables. The Japanese infrastructure was also severely compromised by all the damage, in addition to power outages and rolling blackouts.

I dont see anything wrong with temporary measures like this.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

How much are you selling that bridge for?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by CordDragonzord
reply to post by OldCorp

How much are you selling that bridge for?

Gold coin is the currency of MY realm.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
You can always view youtube at home... Why view it at work? You shouldn't be, actually.
If you're in the Navy on a tour of duty on a ship, that ship is your work and your home for that tour of duty, isn't it? You may have another home far away where your wife lives, but how do you get there from the ship? You don't get there very often.

I agree with the OP, there may be an ulterior motive here besides bandwidth for the rescue operations, like stemming the free flow of information perhaps?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
If you're in the Navy on a tour of duty on a ship, that ship is your work and your home for that tour of duty, isn't it? You may have another home far away where your wife lives, but how do you get there from the ship? You don't get there very often.

I agree with the OP, there may be an ulterior motive here besides bandwidth for the rescue operations, like stemming the free flow of information perhaps?

Yeah, I don't buy it for a second. The DoD has more computing power than any organization on the planet. Bandwidth shortage my hairy butt.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

They are talking about bandwidth in that area of the world, not in DOD as a whole.

You are using a very large brush here...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Old news let me pimp my original thread on this

They moved mine to disaster conspiracy for some reason.....
(most likely why you didn't see it
I thought it should of been in Japan crisis but MODS thought otherwise eh, their call)

U.S. military blocks websites to help Japan recovery efforts
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 18-3-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

I agree with other posters that he is referring more to localized usage on DoD networks. It isn't censorship.

Is that an AK in your avi?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly
Old news let me pimp my original thread on this

They moved mine to disaster conspiracy for some reason.....
(most likely why you didn't see it
I thought it should of been in Japan crisis but MODS thought otherwise eh, their call)

U.S. military blocks websites to help Japan recovery efforts
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 18-3-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

Didn't mean to step on your toes nilly. Besides... I had Pentagon video.
(Must be why mine was more warmly received.
)

top topics

join