It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kiss Your Internet Goodbye!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
How many people on the East coast had access to the internet last year during the big blackout?

I had access on a secured line, ECK.
No break, no interruption.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

No single government is going to kill the internet, the people and the companies will not allow it because it would backlash to the need of limiting communications to the point of the pony express.

Great posts, Wraith.

I am curious tho', could you see the Internet being affected by a slow strangulation of private ISPs inside the US? I mean if suddenly you had to license yourself to run an ISP just as drivers must license themselves? It sems like this would be a way for the gummint to control at least the Internet inside their own country. If they control the ISPs and their routing tables, don't they then control what the customers of those ISPs will see?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
I am curious tho', could you see the Internet being affected by a slow strangulation of private ISPs inside the US? I mean if suddenly you had to license yourself to run an ISP just as drivers must license themselves? It sems like this would be a way for the gummint to control at least the Internet inside their own country

You can be sure the gummint will control every last thing it can.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
How many people on the East coast had access to the internet last year during the big blackout?

I had access on a secured line, ECK.
No break, no interruption.

seekerof

why am i not surprised
?

i guess you're not worried about internet censorship affecting you, eh?

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Why do you think the government should be threatened by the Internet? Think about it. There is absolutely no on-line proof of anything.
The real purpose of the Internet I believe, is to promote the illusion of our freedom.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by dollmonster
Why do you think the government should be threatened by the Internet?

They can no longer control the flow of information.

The media can barely keep up with the internet on breaking news and investigations.

Think back 30 years.. there were only three channels on tv and they signed off at midnight. Now you have satellite, cable, internet... its 24/7/365. That was unheard of back then. At that time, they had complete control of the dissemination of information. Now, its beyond their control.

The real purpose of the Internet I believe, is to promote the illusion of our freedom.

I think commerce is their pleasant by-product.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Here is an update I posted on Falcon's informative
Internet is Under Attack By The U.S. Government thread.

Major Internet Companies and Organizations Join Alliance to Stop Internet Attacks

A slew of major service providers and organizations have joined together to share detailed network attack profiles through an alliance announced recently by Arbor Networks.

As global infrastructure attacks, such as recent domain name server (DNS) attacks and worm outbreaks, become more distributed and diffused, network operators increasingly need to communicate faster and more efficiently with upstream providers and customers to resolve these attacks. Sharing attack information across business and network boundaries today has been a reactive and relationship-driven combination of e-mail and phone calls among colleagues. Before Arbor's Fingerprint Sharing Alliance, no automated mechanism existed for sharing and receiving threat and attack information.

Joining the Fingerprint Sharing Alliance:
Asia Netcom (wholly-owned subsidiary of CHINA NETCOM), MCI, Inc. formerly WORLDCOM, Broadwing Communications, LLC (provider of innovative data, voice, and media solutions to enterprises, service providers and government entities), Merit Network (the longest-running regional research and education network in the U.S), The Planet (fast growing managed US hosting provider),Cisco Systems, EarthLink, RackSpace, British Telecom, Internet2, NTT Communications, Verizon Dominicana, ITC^DeltaCom, Inc., University of Pennsylvania, Utah Education Network among others.

www.govtech.net...

I would hate to see our personal data being collected, pidgeonholed, packaged, & traded like futures on the GIG (Global Information Grid) , especially to a nemesis like China. Call it a gut instinct but I really don't have a good feeling about this, serious constitutional abuses & federal violations will occur as already demonstrated by Choicepoint .

[edit on 2-4-2005 by Vajrayana]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Thanks for that info.

Here's an article that DrHoracid posted on one of his threads

San Francisco May Regulate Blogging
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's all about government CONTROL

San Francisco May Regulate Blogging
By Michael Bassik, 03/31/2005 - 3:15pm

Just when you thought the Federal Election Commission had it out for the blogosphere, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors took it up a notch and announced yesterday that it will soon vote on a city ordinance that would require local bloggers to register with the city Ethics Commission and report all blog-related costs that exceed $1,000 in the aggregate.

Blogs that mention candidates for local office that receive more than 500 hits will be forced to pay a registration fee and will be subject to website traffic audits, according to Chad Jacobs, a San Francisco City Attorney.
www.personaldemocracy.com...

Ya gotta love how the gummint always makes this stuff sound so benign.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
There is no way that anyone would be able to take away the internet its just impossible. Can you imagin the economic stress it would impede on the all the businesses out there profits would go down and small companies that depend on the internet would go under and it would cost hundreds of billions of dollars to the US economy.

I must say that it would be idiotic to turn the internet off.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by demosthenes
There is no way that anyone would be able to take away the internet its just impossible.

Impossible, eh? We are closer to an economic collapse then most realize. We are standing on the precipice with Japan, India, Taiwan, South Korea Hong Kong and China owning far too much of our debt. Feb. 21, 2005, S. Korea said it would begin to diversify the currencies in which it invests. Altho it recovered, the dollar fell farther in that one day then it had in two years. If they all decided to dump the dollar and embrace the Euro (which is looking more and more likely in the not-so-distant future) our economy would collapse. I assure you, if the economy collapsed, the internet would be a luxury 95% of the population would not be able to indulge in. You'd be too busy trying to survive.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
Well I guess that if the gov had the ability to shut it down to prevent a terror attack that took out a city or country, then yes I think the gov should be able to control the internet.

I think I would like to be alive to live another day, than dead and and be able to use the internet.

The internet is a business and should be ran as one. no civil liberties when lives are on the line!

john

The Internet plays no role in terrorist acts. Terrorist messages will be delivered with other means, as it was done before the internet.

And what does internet mean anyway? there are lots of protocols...there is even direct connection: one terrorist could phone another one's modem, send a coded message, then hang up. No one can stop remote communications any more.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Noumenon and I were discussing this thread yesterday and I thought of something. It may be that we, the average internet user, lulled into a false sense of security, might be allowed continued access (after some catastrophic event) for one reason: so they could more easily ferrit out dissenting voices, locate and deal with them.

What do you think ATS?

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
no civil liberties when lives are on the line!
john

John, Here's what founding father Benjamin Franklin had to say about that sentiment:

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
www.ushistory.org...

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Remember, the internet was originally set up by that same US gov't and military that so many of you happily bash as evil.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marid Audran
Remember, the internet was originally set up by that same US gov't and military that so many of you happily bash as evil.

- So what?

What has a healthy scepticism about the military and the actions of the US gov got to do with it all?

Hitler's gang had a big hand in jet engines; you think I remember them when I fly off on holiday?
Big f*cking deal about that too.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

What's your point? I'm a veteran of the US Army and I am concerned. I know it from the inside out.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   

The military developed an early version of a packet switched network for nuclear warfare...it was nothing about giving information to the people. The internet as we know it today has been mostly developed by corporations and educational institutions...and remember, if the government can give it to us, they can just as easily take it away.

I do doubt that the internet would just be taken away ever, but I could definitely see more monitoring taking place and more control being taken over what information people can access. The FBI, with enough evidence, can demand that your ISP place a sniffing device on the network to monitor anything they want on your computer (CARNIVORE program, maybe something else by now)...and with laws such as the patriot act being passed, who knows what they are required by law to have in order to use such devices. Realistically, this system probably is not abused much (that we know of), but the fact that they have the ability to abuse it is what matters.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I'm thinking of getting rid of my phone line and doing telephony by cellphone and my internet by local cable. I'm leery of this, however.

As an old hand at Fidonet (the internet existing before "The Internet") I know we could all subversively re-create the internet on our phones. Remember, Hyperterminal awaits you on your Tools-Communications menu.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek
Realistically, this system probably is not abused much (that we know of), but the fact that they have the ability to abuse it is what matters.

I'm sure it has in certain ways. They're not gonna tell us about it, though.

Look at what just happened in Spokane, Wa. - catching the Mayor (I think) chatting up gayboys (FBI) on the net. That's not an abuse, but it illustrates how activity on the net can getcha in trouble. It's like I suggested earlier, it may, now or in the future be an excellent way to ferret out and locate dissidents.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Still scratching my head over why (after over a year of this being in the WoT forum) this landed here.

I just read this article on how the right-wingers in congress are trying to lay down even tighter controls on all mediums of entertainment.

Look out! The American Taliban is coming after you and your Daily Show!

Remote Control
By Bernie Sanders
In These Times

Tuesday 10 May 2005

In his 2004 inaugural address, President Bush spoke repeatedly about the need to bring freedom and liberty to the world. In fact, he was so focused on the concept that he referenced the word "freedom" a whopping 27 times during the 21-minute speech. I'm happy the president is embracing the concept of freedom. Now if we could only get him to start practicing what he preaches.

Since his inauguration address, President Bush and his right-wing colleagues in Congress have launched a full-scale effort to limit and control the programming Americans are able to see and hear over the airwaves and the Internet. In short, they're going after your computer, your radio and your remote control.

In March, the House passed legislation to dramatically raise "indecency" fines for broadcast television imposed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to $500,000. Rep. Joe Barton (R-Texas), chairman of the House Commerce Committee, heralded the high fines, saying, "This legislation makes great strides in making it safe for families to come back into their living room."
www.truthout.org...

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join