It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerry ownes Halliburton stock!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Halliburton hypocrisy?: Teresa profited when VP was CEO

As Sen. John F. Kerry's campaign escalates charges over energy giant Halliburton's government deals and ties to Vice President Dick Cheney, there's one thing they don't mention - the Kerry family's own Halliburton payday.

Teresa Heinz Kerry liked the Cheney-run Halliburton enough to buy and sell more than a $250,000 in company stock in 1996, netting a tidy profit of up to $15,000, records show.

The Kerry family Halliburton investment is tucked in the Massachusetts senator's lengthy financial disclosure forms, reviewed by the Herald.

Why is this not on CBS, NBC, ABC or CNN and not being reported this on the nightly news.

john

news.bostonherald.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Of course it's not being reported, these are her personal financial dealings.

Who cares if the VP was the CEO, she was out to make money. Next you'll be telling me that theres no Heinz products in the white house.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I declare a DSA (double standard alert).

So, it's ok for Kerry and his wife to make money off of Haliburton, but it's not ok for Dick Chaney.

Nice!

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound

So, it's ok for Kerry and his wife to make money off of Haliburton, but it's not ok for Dick Chaney.

Nice!

Whoa, whoa! Cheney is the Vice President of the United States, who is awarding contracts exclusively, without searching for anyone else, to his old company, of which he is still receiving money from. It's ok for other people to own Haliburton stock, because they aren't in the posistion to award contracts that would make themselves rich.

Imagine if Steve Jobs was vice-president, then gave no-bid contracts to Apple. We could still buy Apple stock, Steve could have some conflict of interests.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound

Nice!

How is it a double standard? Did the Kerry family have any influence over the no-bids contracts Haliburton received from the government? Cheney did, and he still receives financial compensation from Haliburton, which makes this a conflict of interest on the VP's part.

EDIT: curme beat me to the punch!

[edit on 21-7-2004 by FiberOptik]

[edit on 21-7-2004 by FiberOptik]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Who cares if they own stock in Halliburton, it is a good company.

Whoa, whoa! Cheney is the Vice President of the United States, who is awarding contracts exclusively, without searching for anyone else, to his old company, of which he is still receiving money from.

Halliburton is one of a few that can do the things that company does, get over it. Would you prefer a French comapny doing it? NO, they were against the war in Iraq, so they deserve no economic benefit from the rebuilding of it.

AF1

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Of course he owns stock! Who in the skull and bones doesn't?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Halliburton is one of a few that can do the things that company does, get over it. Would you prefer a French comapny doing it?

Wrong Halliburton is Cheney's baby that's why it got the contracts.

It is all about the benjamin babie, and Cheney's buddies are the ones with the fat pockets.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Even though I am a Republican, I don't find anything wrong with investing in a company to make money. Kerry's wife is a very shrewd businesswoman. Besides, this was done 8 years ago. I don't see anything wrong with this at all.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1

Why is this not on CBS, NBC, ABC or CNN and not being reported this on the nightly news.

john

news.bostonherald.com...

It's not being covered because its a non-issue.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Wrong Halliburton is Cheney's baby that's why it got the contracts.

How many other US companies are as capable as Halliburton at doing what needs to be done in Iraq?

[edit on 21-7-2004 by ajm4481]

[edit on 21-7-2004 by ajm4481]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
There are plenty of other companies that are capable.
Actually, the US Army should be given their rightful jobs back. Privatization is dangerous on many levels. And it only benefits the few - like Cheney.

Halliburton has also scammed millions of dollars from the US Army - how's that for patriotic?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Is it just me or does $15,000 on a $250,000-500,000 investment seem almost trivial? That is a 3-6 percent rate of return and your principal is at risk. Long term federally insured CDs can get you as high as 5.75%. And you don't have to file that nasty capital gains form.

Is this the scandal that never was?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   

There are plenty of other companies that are capable. Actually, the US Army should be given their rightful jobs back. Privatization is dangerous on many levels. And it only benefits the few - like Cheney.

Halliburton, Bechtel, and Kellog Brown and Root (which I think is a subsidiary of Halliburton)...that is all I know of. I think privatization is better. Government does not make decisions based on profit or loss. Private firms do. That connects them to their customer. They can use profit and loss to make decisions, obviously if people are not happy with the result they would go somewhere else. A private firm would react to that once it showed negatively in their profits. I also prefer private because I hate big government, people want and the government gives. Unfortunately the government just got bigger after 9/11. It is not Bush's fault. Everytime something tramatic happens, the government expands, it is the ratchet affect...effect? The result is bigger government and a deficit until things adjust.

Makes you think what the world would be like without money...ahh the peace...

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
ajm4481,

The only thing that is expanding is bushes bunch of bodies coffers because my is empty and I am just the regular jane doe. How about yours?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Hey, nothing wrong with the stock. Like someone said, is there no Heinze products in the white house? The dif. between kerry's wife(who is not running for president) and Cheney is that Cheney gave his old company a 7billion contract while Kerry's wife didn't. Cheney has covered Haliburton from legal problems from the fact millions have gone into the pockets of the company and not the soldiers. How many meals did the army not get? How many weapons did the army not get? Yet Haliburton still charged for them and made millions.

Edited part.
I give you $100 to buy food. You tell me you bought food, but in actuallity you put it in your pocket and spent it on a new tv. That is what haliburton did with millions of dollars.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by James the Lesser]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ajm4481
How many other US companies are as capable as Halliburton at doing what needs to be done in Iraq?

Apparently quite a few, since they subcontract as much as they perform.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
Is it just me or does $15,000 on a $250,000-500,000 investment seem almost trivial? That is a 3-6 percent rate of return and your principal is at risk. Long term federally insured CDs can get you as high as 5.75%. And you don't have to file that nasty capital gains form.

Is this the scandal that never was?

It not the small amount of money she made, in fact she could have lost money. I believe that it is a non-scandal as well, however the author of this thread is saying that it is wrong just purchasing the stock reagardless of the outcome

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyarlathotep
Even though I am a Republican, I don't find anything wrong with investing in a company to make money. Kerry's wife is a very shrewd businesswoman. Besides, this was done 8 years ago. I don't see anything wrong with this at all.
Here here, I second this thought! I personally think its about time we give Cheny a break with Halliburton, but on the other hand, I haven't researched the topic to closley either.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by katt06
Here here, I second this thought! I personally think its about time we give Cheny a break with Halliburton, but on the other hand, I haven't researched the topic to closley either.

Well, I wasn't exactly referring to Cheney's association with Haliburton, but rather, Teresa Heinz-Keryy's purchasing Haliburton stocks 8 years ago and the fact that I don't think there is any conspiracy from the Kerry's owning Haliburton stock.

In fact, she sold her stock 8 yeras ago and Haliburton has had their Iraq rebuilding contracts for what, a year? So what, really is the purpose of this thread? That Teresa Heinz-Kerry bought and sold Haliburton stock 7 years before this possible Cheney/Haliburton scandal?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join