It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Were Our Ancient Ancestors Able To Study The Stars Through Powerfull Lenses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Ive been reading a book lately called The Atlantis Enigma by Herbie Brennan its really fascinating.
I was reading a chapter on a discovery by archaeologist Henry Layard which was a crystal artefact.

"At first, archaeologists concluded the disc must be an ornament of some sort, but then David Brewster became interested in the find. Brewster was an eminent Scottish physicist noted for his experimental work in optics and polarised light. Today he is best remembered as the inventor of the Kaleidoscope and the man who first produced three-dimensional images using a modified stereoscope. Brewster examined the artefact and announced, in 1853, that it was a well-made optical lens. This find is not unique. Some seventy-five similar lenses of varying dates have subsequently been found at sites that range from central Turkey through Crete to Troy. Current orthodoxy has it they were all decorative furniture inlays". ( The Atlantis Enigma by Hernie Brennan)

Here is two pages that i have found that sort of explain why there must have been telescopes around at that time.

Worlds Oldest Telescope?

Lenses???

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I seemed to have attracted lots of people to this topic never mind

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
i think what you had to say was very interesting x

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Interesting topic.

Here's some more to add to it from other sources:
BBC News / By Dr David Whitehouse
Ancient Ground Optical Lenses This is by Robert Temple though...
Science Frontiers Appears to be a valid article AJAonline
UCLA Engineering "Jewelry Drives Technology"

Like everything on the internet, you have to take some "sources" with a grain of salt though.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Cheers for the links great.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by devil9t9uk
Ive been reading a book lately called The Atlantis Enigma by Herbie Brennan its really fascinating.
I was reading a chapter on a discovery by archaeologist Henry Layard which was a crystal artefact.

"At first, archaeologists concluded the disc must be an ornament of some sort, but then David Brewster became interested in the find. Brewster was an eminent Scottish physicist noted for his experimental work in optics and polarised light. Today he is best remembered as the inventor of the Kaleidoscope and the man who first produced three-dimensional images using a modified stereoscope. Brewster examined the artefact and announced, in 1853, that it was a well-made optical lens. This find is not unique. Some seventy-five similar lenses of varying dates have subsequently been found at sites that range from central Turkey through Crete to Troy. Current orthodoxy has it they were all decorative furniture inlays". ( The Atlantis Enigma by Hernie Brennan)

Here is two pages that i have found that sort of explain why there must have been telescopes around at that time.

Worlds Oldest Telescope?

The crystal is and still in life--like you/me/others...

The glass is sand+ heat(1000-1200�)---not in life

Eh, yeah ---it come from ATLANTIS

Lenses???

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Aliens must have given them the telescopes cause there's no way humans back them could have built them on their own

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake
Aliens must have given them the telescopes cause there's no way humans back them could have built them on their own

Man is capable of many things i've never doubted it. your comment seems childish and imature.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by devil9t9uk

Originally posted by mpeake

Man is capable of many things i've never doubted it. your comment seems childish and imature.

Perhaps my laughing smily face guy wasn't enough to display my sarcastic tone.

Of course I beleive that man is capable of such things. I was poking fun at the type of people who say stuff like that.

new topics

top topics

join