It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

La Bruzzo wants to drug test welfare recepients...

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by StigShen
reply to post by wantsome

One other point too though. For all the complaints I hear about some people, who say that people on welfare, people in prison have it so good, complaining about how hard they have it, how hard they have to work...

...I don't see any of them going on down to the welfare office to get "free stuff."
I didn't understand it either till one day I had to apply for disability. Personally I'd rather work surviving on $900 a month aint easy street.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by thorazineshuffle
You guys act as if the worst possibly thing ever is to take a drug test. How hard is it to pee in a cup? If I ever lose my job, and needed assistance, I can tell you that I would have no problem peeing in a cup, I would pee in 5 cups, if it meant that someone would give me assistance. Welfare was not supposed to be a career choice, it was only supposed to help you when you were down. Now, I can tell you that welfare is severely flawed, as it seems that it has turned into something that is designed to keep you in a certain place, with no chance of improving your lifestyle, or the very lest making it very hard to do so. I will explain.
In order to qualify for federal assistance a single parent with 2 children making 17,500/yr or less qualifies. But lets say that one person gets a raise, now they are making 20,000.00/yr They will lose their benefit. The amount of the raise does not offset the aid that the are receiving, so there fore it makes more sense for the parent to not take the raise, not move up the ladder, and staying in the same place that are at. Kind of stuck in a rut. So, I think that the welfare system needs to be re-configured to make it less of a crutch, and more of the successful program that it should be.

I have no problem peeing in a cup, other than the invasion of privacy and assumption of guilt of course. Just becasue I am on welfare, I am a drug addict? Why not drug test for any government loan or grant? Why just welfare?

But anyway, more importantly. Drug testing is a total waste of time for two reasons. First. Most drugs are out of your system in 24 hours, except for pot. Second of all, okay, someone comes up positive? What happens then? they still get their welfare, but now you have to pay for a rehab program for them. A useless rehab becasue if they don't want to quit, they aren't going to quit.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

You guys act as if the worst possibly thing ever is to take a drug test. How hard is it to pee in a cup? If I ever lose my job, and needed assistance, I can tell you that I would have no problem peeing in a cup, I would pee in 5 cups, if it meant that someone would give me assistance. Welfare was not supposed to be a career choice, it was only supposed to help you when you were down. Now, I can tell you that welfare is severely flawed, as it seems that it has turned into something that is designed to keep you in a certain place, with no chance of improving your lifestyle, or the very lest making it very hard to do so. I will explain.
In order to qualify for federal assistance a single parent with 2 children making 17,500/yr or less qualifies. But lets say that one person gets a raise, now they are making 20,000.00/yr They will lose their benefit. The amount of the raise does not offset the aid that the are receiving, so there fore it makes more sense for the parent to not take the raise, not move up the ladder, and staying in the same place that are at. Kind of stuck in a rut. So, I think that the welfare system needs to be re-configured to make it less of a crutch, and more of the successful program that it should be.

I have no problem peeing in a cup, other than the invasion of privacy and assumption of guilt of course. Just becasue I am on welfare, I am a drug addict? Why not drug test for any government loan or grant? Why just welfare?

But anyway, more importantly. Drug testing is a total waste of time for two reasons. First. Most drugs are out of your system in 24 hours, except for pot. Second of all, okay, someone comes up positive? What happens then? they still get their welfare, but now you have to pay for a rehab program for them. A useless rehab becasue if they don't want to quit, they aren't going to quit.
The right wing pisses and moans about helping thier own citizens but has no problem pissing money away on forign countries.

link   

Originally posted by wantsome

I have to say, as left-winged as I may sound in any posts, I am dead against welfare for immigrants.
Personally I'm not against it for leagal immigrants. 99% of the people I see are not of the illegal type. I'm from michigan and most of the immigrants I see are of the middle east or mediteranian background.

I have worked closely with social services in my area for years, and have seen a HUGE influx of illegals getting benefits. Not just illegals either, but KNOWN gangbangers from MS13 and so forth. And on top of that, I have seen locals, lifetime locals, be DENIED, even though they met the criteria set forth by SS.

link   

Been on welfare for 6 years and I know people that have been on it longer. Go ahead and test us I'm clean and so are the people I know. Hell I don't even drink.

My guess is they'll just be wasting money.

Have any of you been to a welfare office? I have lot's of times. It's mostly single mothers, forigners, people down on thier luck and people with disabilities.

This whole stigma of people on welfare are drug addicts is BS.

Of course not everyone on welfare are drug addicts, just as everyone on wall street aren't drug addicts, I think this whole thread has morphed into this thing that everyone who has ever had assistance are drug fiends, and that is not true.
You must remember that welfare is a privilege, not a right, just as driving is not a right, and you can lose your right to drive, in extreme cases, permanently. I think that certain requirements should be met in order to qualify for aid, beyond the obvious. People need to be held accountable for themselves. There is no law that says just because you live in a low income area, that you should be allowed to not live responsibly. Just as celebrities living on the opposite side of the spectrum or political figures, for that matter, should be able to live irresponsibly. We all need to govern ourselves accordingly.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

One other point too though. For all the complaints I hear about some people, who say that people on welfare, people in prison have it so good, complaining about how hard they have it, how hard they have to work...

...I don't see any of them going on down to the welfare office to get "free stuff."
I didn't understand it either till one day I had to apply for disability. Personally I'd rather work surviving on $900 a month aint easy street.

Abso-effin-lutely.

I would rather EARN a no string attached $900, then have my snout stuck in the mud every month.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

well. its both sides on this one. I believe that is true. we should help our citizens out first, then take care of the world second. We have plenty of starving people right here. I have actually been thinking of a way to start a charity that would actually help people in need and not just turn into a tax shelter.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I always thought people who get welfare should at least be expected to work for the city they preside in. Maybe these people can help reduce property taxes if the city can use them to offset city payroll expenses. To many recipients use it as a way of life. Their kids grow up on welfare and become unmotivated to make anything of themselves because mom and dad got free hand outs. Why should they be any different?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Abso-effin-lutely.

I would rather EARN a no string attached $900, then have my snout stuck in the mud every month.
Not me I was making $500 a week working. Eating Rahmen noodles 6 days in a row because I have to pay $3.50 for a gallon of gas isn't my idea of the American dream.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

Wow,
I had to skip all the bad mouthing so I'm not liable in a court of law, but as an employer so to speak, the Goverments, just as a buisness, believe they should have right to test reciepients of the monies they pay out to be tested for drug use. They, the Governments, are beholden to the people whom entrusted them with the money we give them to spend it wisely.
Gee, does that make cents?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Of course not everyone on welfare are drug addicts, just as everyone on wall street aren't drug addicts, I think this whole thread has morphed into this thing that everyone who has ever had assistance are drug fiends, and that is not true.
You must remember that welfare is a privilege, not a right, just as driving is not a right, and you can lose your right to drive, in extreme cases, permanently. I think that certain requirements should be met in order to qualify for aid, beyond the obvious. People need to be held accountable for themselves. There is no law that says just because you live in a low income area, that you should be allowed to not live responsibly. Just as celebrities living on the opposite side of the spectrum or political figures, for that matter, should be able to live irresponsibly. We all need to govern ourselves accordingly.

Ya know, I am sick and tired of this "priviledge not a right" excuse every time the fascists move the goalposts.

Government is a privilege, not a right. And a whole lotta people are ready to burn the house down and show you who has what right.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

well. its both sides on this one. I believe that is true. we should help our citizens out first, then take care of the world second. We have plenty of starving people right here. I have actually been thinking of a way to start a charity that would actually help people in need and not just turn into a tax shelter.

I used to control a large amount of financial resources, and used my power to construct low income housing. Not welfare mind you, but worker housing, for people that work flipping burgers and so forth. I also built up the local infrastructure for local food pantries.

I got sued and all my worker housing project were # down by the mob, in favor of high income housing.

Now peep the irony, I eat at soup kitchens and food banks that I established.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
I always thought people who get welfare should at least be expected to work for the city they preside in. Maybe these people can help reduce property taxes if the city can use them to offset city payroll expenses. To many recipients use it as a way of life. Their kids grow up on welfare and become unmotivated to make anything of themselves because mom and dad got free hand outs. Why should they be any different?

The problem with that plan, is that you are actually perpetuating and creating unemployment for a slave wage, rather than a living wage. If you get welfare people to mow lawns for free, then my landscaping business goes out of business, and I am on welfare now too, doing the same job for 10% market value.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Ya know, I am sick and tired of this "priviledge not a right" excuse every time the fascists move the goalposts.

Government is a privilege, not a right. And a whole lotta people are ready to burn the house down and show you who has what right.

So, I guess that you think that welfare is a right, and no one should do anything except collect a check from the government? someone has to pay for it. Oh wait! I get it. Everyone should quit their jobs, since the dollar is going to be worthless anyway. The federal can just print money and hand it out to people. Brilliant!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by StigShen

sorry to hear about that.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Taking a drug test does not in anyway imply that you are guilty of anything. It, simply, is a way, even in a broken system, to try to weed out those that are taking advantage of our tax dollars. I drug test employees for a living, am I discriminating because our rule is; in order to work for us you have to be drug free? As far as I know taking a hair sample is not invasive. As, invasive means IN, such as blood work. Private businesses have the right to test for drug use why doesn't the government? Oh wait, PC...

Too many people use government assistance as a "career" choice. I do not feel sorry for them. If any of us find ourselves legitimately in need of government assistance then we should be able to abide by their rules. Do not be offended by drug testing, it is not an accusation... simply a precaution. The best way for me to put it is.

I Do not know you. I am not you. Therefore you must prove yourself if you want something from me.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Not me I was making $500 a week working. Eating Rahmen noodles 6 days in a row because I have to pay $3.50 for a gallon of gas isn't my idea of the American dream.

If I could make $500 a week working, welfare wouldn't even know my name.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Who is paying for the millions of drug tests? The people who don't have any money to begin with? I don't want people exploiting the system either but sometime I don't think people stop and think about details.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

So, I guess that you think that welfare is a right, and no one should do anything except collect a check from the government? someone has to pay for it. Oh wait! I get it. Everyone should quit their jobs, since the dollar is going to be worthless anyway. The federal can just print money and hand it out to people. Brilliant!

So long as the government collects taxes FROM the people, they have a responsibility TO the people. I paid taxes all my life. Far more than I will ever recover in food stamps. I take my food stamps with no shame.

You want to quit your job and go on welfare? Then do it if you think it's so great.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
First thank you all for posting here...

I did not realize this would get such a response....

@donttreadonme
thank you for your diligence... I realize a little better now just how much work yall do put in here..

the points seem to divide up really quick...

So I decided to go to the horses mouth... All I ask that is that everyone gives the office the time to respond...

here is what I sent...

new bill a few questions
Kent Walls
To: [email protected]
Well good sir thank you for taking the time to at least read this e-mail

I had a few questions that have come up since I have talked to a few people. I want to be able to post a response or two on a website I go to with your response...I merely am a poster there... one among many

first this is where I got the story

www.wwltv.com...

First my full opinion on what I have read is good. I completely agree and hope Texas follows suit... I know it has not passed yet in Louisiana...

With this in mind I have a few simple questions... I want to clear up a few misunderstandings that have arisen in conversation

1)What is the full bill as it sits now?

2)If I understand so far, any who popp/test positive for medication they have no prescriptions for or illegal substances, must get treatment to 'continue' receiving benefits?

3)Do they continue receiving benefits while undergoing treatment? Or is it completely cut off?

4)Is the information considered covered under hippa since they are/will be receiving medical treatment?

example- ex-cons or parents or cops or court officials....

is the failure reported from the test or is it considered private medical information

5) how are the drug test being paid for?

the reason I asked this way is the thought that since most recipients (I assume) also get medicade/care... and it would be the cheapest way to test is during a doctors check up.. (also an assumption)

I think the cheapest would be like the sports one you have to get before you play sports in hs or college...just part of a normal exam

6) I am also curious if their is a copy of your bill proposal to pay for females to have their tubes tied.... From what I heard it is not that bad an idea... but I have no facts only hearsay... it is why I asked...

The only reason I am asking about these things is because I wanted to have these answers and post them in response to some of the questions like these that are being applied to the news story... Any answers you could give I would love to have and will post with no editing any response you chose to send back...

Again, I applaud your efforts to reduce the long term cost in your state...

Kent Walls

Again thank each of you for maintaining your decorum even though we do have a huge gulf of disagreement...

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join