It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

La Bruzzo wants to drug test welfare recepients...

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I completely agree with drug testing Welfare recipients.
I think the whole program would work better if Street drug addicts werent posing as hardshipped citizens.
But I want All public funded and paid employees/ elected tested and treated in same manor as well.
Might just cut down on the druggies in the law and govt ladder as well.

edit on 18-3-2011 by VType because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Michelle129th

Just a side note also, the last time I checked doing any kind of drugs was ILLEGAL...rich or poor. If anyone chooses to do drugs then they should have a consequence for breaking the law.

You must not check that often then.
Ever heard of alcohol? tobacco? oxycontin?
the partnership for a drug free america must be doing their job well.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by johngtr

Ok.....do you know how silly this idea of sterotyping the welfare by having them all pee in a cup for a bit of pocket change is on this whole thread?

Perhaps people will sit back and read everything they typed and think about the mischief they cause when it's very clear as day who they should really be targeting.....

I never kick a horse when it's already down

Having a reasonable idea of how much it would cost to drug test any large portion of the population would be better spent to try and properly rehabilitate the drug addicts and those in prison on minor offences who deserve a second chance. Those in power scoff at any kind of rehabilitation, why? Because drug addicts and prisons are big business in the USA.

To take a drug addict off his/her fix is not as simple as A B C. They need help.....and they need help long term.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This is bad news people, what are you talking about great news? How backwards propaganda has changed the public opinion of drugs.

It depends what they are testing for, if they are testing EVERYTHING this is horrible news, even more constriction of the human experience, however, if they are only testing for hard drugs like crack, heroin, ect then that is good then.

Not to mention that the government is the ones bringing the heroin in this country, ever seen those pictures of soldiers PROTECTING HEROIN FIELDS??? If you think those greedy scum are going to just leave that money go?

Also mentioning that the greatest substance on the planet, that every single human being is wired to experience and does every night for 9 hours, '___'. It also has like an 80% recovery rates for heavy drug/alcohol addicts, YET THEY SAY ITS HORRIBLE FOR YOU , meanwhile you can look online and find THOUSANDS of videos of people saying that it helped them recover, Meanwhile its extremely illegal .

Plus, what do you think these drug addicts will do when they dont get free money? [ which by the way has little effect on our debt, the warS is why] THEY WILL START ROBBING/KILLING RANDOM PEOPLE FOR MONEY TO LIVE/DRUGS.

Not forgetting the only reason these drugs are illegal in the first place, is so they can make money off of prisons/healthcare. Think of it, they actually got away with BANNING NATURE? That is a crime against humanity. If 1 person says I know whats better for you, you cannot do this, then that is CRIMINAL.

Everything should be legal, get out of here big brother, nobody needs you or wants you here to begin with.

This world is soooo backwards

edit on 18-3-2011 by Quasar_La-Zar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

"Welfare recipients who test positive would have to receive treatment or lose their welfare check."

All for it.
One obstacle; resources for 1/2 + of welfare recipients to receive treatment.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TopherWayne

I don't care what people do who are not being funded by tax payer dollars.

If you support yourself an like to party, that's not an issue.

The issue is people that view welfare as a lifestyle and choose to use drugs as well. How will they ever find gainful employment if they are drugged up?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by johngtr

Ok.....do you know how silly this idea of sterotyping the welfare by having them all pee in a cup for a bit of pocket change is on this whole thread?

Perhaps people will sit back and read everything they typed and think about the mischief they cause when it's very clear as day who they should really be targeting.....

I never kick a horse when it's already down

Having a reasonable idea of how much it would cost to drug test any large portion of the population would be better spent to try and properly rehabilitate the drug addicts and those in prison on minor offences who deserve a second chance. Those in power scoff at any kind of rehabilitation, why? Because drug addicts and prisons are big business in the USA.

To take a drug addict off his/her fix is not as simple as A B C. They need help.....and they need help long term.

Well put sir,
Drug addicts aren't criminals, they're people with a problem and should be put into treatment, not prison (slave labor), where they can get more drugs, or get right back on drugs after released.
The privatization of the prison system related to drug incarceration is outlined in a great movie called "American Drug War: The last white hope", that all ATSers should see. Truly a conspiracy in progress.

To weigh into this thread though, I do agree that welfare should not be spend on drugs when there are people trying to get on welfare who really need it and don't use drugs, and people who spend their welfare checks on drugs.
As a recreational drug user myself, I believe that drugs should be legal, but I don't believe the government should pay people to use them on welfare. Welfare is a system that really does help people and it is a shame to see people who need it, not get it, while some abuse the system giving it the terrible name it has.

The drug testing policy I'm a bit up in the air on, however; as of right now I think its our best choice.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Maybe they only test people who have had a history of drug abuse? It will cost somebody somewhere to do the drug testing whether it be the tax payers or the government or the people who are being tested.
Funny when it comes to spending money to give something to people some people complain about the tax payers money but when it comes to taking something away from people the same people do not complain about the tax payers money.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I'm all for it.
I went to nursing school with a couple of girls who bragged about their food stamps and not having to pay a dime for the education I paid $30,000 for. I watched these same girls smoke marijuana (one with her 6 year old sitting on her lap) and take any pills they could get their hands on. It made me sick! I still get sick when I think about it. These girls had designer clothes, expensive cell phones, smoked a pack a day, and somehow had plenty of money to go out and "party" EVERY weekend! They didn't work and neither did their boyfriends. They went to the most expensive restaurants in town weekly. They also spent hundreds of dollars on tattoos while in school. They always had cash on them. These girls are now nurses. Granny is being cared for by trashy skanks.

I am not a tight wad but I don't blow money like a rock star either. My husband and I go out and do things. If we couldn't afford groceries, we sure as hell wouldn't be blowing our HARD EARNED money on booze, drugs,cigarettes, or expensive dinners and clothes!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by sumthinfishy
I'm all for it.
I went to nursing school with a couple of girls who bragged about their food stamps and not having to pay a dime for the education I paid $30,000 for. I watched these same girls smoke marijuana (one with her 6 year old sitting on her lap) and take any pills they could get their hands on. It made me sick! I still get sick when I think about it. These girls had designer clothes, expensive cell phones, smoked a pack a day, and somehow had plenty of money to go out and "party" EVERY weekend! They didn't work and neither did their boyfriends. They went to the most expensive restaurants in town weekly. They also spent hundreds of dollars on tattoos while in school. They always had cash on them. These girls are now nurses. Granny is being cared for by trashy skanks.

I am not a tight wad but I don't blow money like a rock star either. My husband and I go out and do things. If we couldn't afford groceries, we sure as hell wouldn't be blowing our HARD EARNED money on booze, drugs,cigarettes, or expensive dinners and clothes!

My thoughts exactly,

Using drugs and living it up should be a right, and after you slave to the grind for 40 hours a week you should be able to smoke a joint if you ask me (maybe not with your 6 year old in your lap though, haha), but welfare is for feeding that 6 year old when you try and try and try to find a job, but can't.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
how about an ethics and lie detector test performed on every louisiana state senator and governor.

whoever or fails to keep campaign promises and doesn't pass the lie detector on basic questions such as corruption and cronyism gets booted out of office.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129th

Yeah, that was a generalization, with all the dangers of such. If you have first-hand experience with the flaws of the current system, then no, clearly the propaganda machine will be less effective with you.

Just for grins, I did a search on the google for "government subsidies to exxon" and got back many interesting articles... seems one Joe Barton is all up in arms about making sure Exxon keeps its welfare... all 3.6 billion according to one article.

So the folks in your neighborhood are abusing welfare to the tune of hundreds or thousands of dollars. And we see thread after thread here with people getting all fussy about it. And I agree, it is waste and fraud and should be cleaned up.

But how many threads do we see about the redistribution of wealth, and our tax money going to subsidize one of, if not the most profitable companies in the history of company-ism? Zero to none that I have found.

And that is in my opinion the result of the right-wing propaganda campaign.

Personally, I'll be happy to wait on cleaning up the Welfare abuse in your neighborhood until after the Corporate Welfare cleanup has been accomplished and we have a net gain of billions. Then we can worry about recovering the thousands.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Open_Minded Skeptic because: possesive "its" does not use apostrophe, duh.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by amcdermott20

My thoughts exactly,

Using drugs and living it up should be a right, and after you slave to the grind for 40 hours a week you should be able to smoke a joint if you ask me (maybe not with your 6 year old in your lap though, haha), but welfare is for feeding that 6 year old when you try and try and try to find a job, but can't.

Thank you. While my husband and I do not use any drugs except alcohol occasionally, I usually don't judge people's lifestyle choices. But if I see you smoking grass with your child in the room, I JUDGE. If you brag about your food stamps while puffing on a Marlboro...I JUDGE. If you are doing these things and may someday be my child/grandma/sister's nurse....I F***ing JUDGE.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Also, the hypocrisy of those who, in other threads, claim their rights are being taken from them by this or that to then come in here and wish to take away the rights of others is a complete joke.

No rights are being taken away.

There is no right to other peoples money.

If people are unhappy taking a drug test, they are more than free to not apply for welfare.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ripcontrol
Now this is a good way to lower what is spent... half to 30 % will stop applying...

Drug test every recipient, those that fail either get treatment or nothing...

then add in random surprise drug test for all involved...
why it failed four previous time I do not know but...

I think Texas should consider this....

No... What will happen is that many will test positive, and then you will have many you now not only pay welfare for but also the costs of "treating" them. And frankly, I see this as a move to put $$$ in the pockets of "treatment" facilities.

Also... What do you suggest for people who have a preference for using a highly effective natural drug, with zero detrimental side effects and zero chance of death from it, over pharmaceuticals with side effects that need other pharmaceuticals to treat (ad infinitum) and which have all caused death?

Only in Cali at the moment is that a legal option.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by VType
I completely agree with drug testing Welfare recipients.
I think the whole program would work better if Street drug addicts werent posing as hardshipped citizens.
But I want All public funded and paid employees/ elected tested and treated in same manor as well.
Might just cut down on the druggies in the law and govt ladder as well.

This is quite foolish. The "drug problem" is a manufactured problem based on puritanical views that there is something inherently wrong with altering One's Consciousness and a self-righteous belief that it is the task of government to ensure such alteration never happens.

All this will to is strain the System even further budget-wise. Pay for the testing ($$$ in the test facilities' pockets), pay for the "treatment" ($$$ in the "treatment" facilities' pockets).

Just let go of the drug "issue."

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join