It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"High radiation level detected 30km from nuke plant" (march 17th)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
i just stumbled across this, after checking out the link on Another_Nut's thread about the evacuation of 30,000 people near fukushima

i did a search here, & couldn't find anything...
not much info on it, but at least there's an admission of high readings...

"Japan's science ministry says radiation levels of up to 0.17 millisieverts per hour have been detected about 30 kilometers northwest of the quake-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
Experts say exposure to those levels for 6 hours would result in absorption of the maximum level considered safe for 1 year.
The government has instructed residents living within a 20 to 30 kilometer radius of the plant to stay indoors.
The ministry gauged radiation from 9:20 AM to 3:00 PM on Thursday at 28 spots, in areas 20 to 60 kilometers from the plant.
The ministry also observed radiation levels of 0.0183 to 0.0011 millisieverts per hour at most of the observation points.
It says these levels are higher than normal but pose no immediate threat to health.
Thursday, March 17, 2011 21:20 +0900 (JST)"

www3.nhk.or.jp...

i couldn't get it to embed the full quote as "external text", so i just copied & pasted...i'm new & still finding my feet, it's only my 2nd thread

thx to Another_Nut for pointing me in that direction

edit on 17-3-2011 by pattonisit because: mike patton

edit on 17-3-2011 by pattonisit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by pattonisit
"Japan's science ministry says radiation levels of up to 0.17 millisieverts per hour have been detected about 30 kilometers northwest of the quake-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
Experts say exposure to those levels for 6 hours would result in absorption of the maximum level considered safe for 1 year.

edit on 17-3-2011 by pattonisit because: mike patton

edit on 17-3-2011 by pattonisit because: (no reason given)

Not quite .... the average radiation dose for an Americans is 6.2 millisieverts per year.

.17 millisieverts per hour times 6 hours = 1.02 millisieverts.

i'm not saying this isnt high, but was this an instantanous peak reading or was it a time weighted elapsed average and how long was the reference?

Remmeber that the people wrtiing these news articles know about as much about radiation as they do about the Hilbert's Nullstellensatz theorem.
edit on 17-3-2011 by SirMike because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2011 by SirMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

i'm trying to grasp things, though a lot of it's over my head

certainly, more info on the data collection & analysis would have helped...
anyway, i just put the link out there for what it may be worth

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Not quite .... the average radiation dose for an Americans is 6.2 millisieverts per year.

Yeah but maybe the American average allows for plane travel..
We know what those body scanners do...

new topics

top topics

join