It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do any of you raise chickens?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
We used to raised chickens about 10 yrs ago and they could roam freely on our property so of course they were considered "free range"...

My question is, if a we have to keep them enclosed (ie pen/coop encloser) how much space is needed for them to just eat off the ground and not have to be constantly fed. We really never really fed our chickens in the summertime but had to supplement feed over winter months. We live in town now but do have a large enough lot to raise chickens (3 at most, 2 hens/1 rooster) of course we cannot let the roam all over the neighborhood so we will have to enclose them.

thanks

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
You need to buy or build yourself a chicken tractor. They are movable housing that allows you to move it around so they can graze and still be controlled.

edit on 17-3-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I think your best bet would be to have the enclosure portable so that when the Chickens clean one area you can move to the next. I have seen people in a more urban area "hide" a few chickens under a trampoline. There are many diagrams out there of more suitable portable enclosures available. plans

I feel this is the best method to minimize supplemental feeding.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
You might try a "chicken tractor" which is basically a mobile pen. Usually it can easily house 6-12 chickens...come in a variety of shapes and concepts...everything from a sled that can be pulled to a cage on wheels...

All the benefits of free range with none of the concerns. Can be made from wood, scrap lumber, PVC, etc. Easy to find designs on the internet.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I think the votes in. Chicken tractor it is.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
We have chickens. I have 6 in a 10x10 area, and 4 in a 10x20 area. They both lay the same and are generally healty.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Here are some links to help with your inner city farm. The video shows a farmer getting 3 tons of food per year in 1/10 of an acre. Amazing!

They also raise chickens. The urban homestead Site will also have more of the info on chickens. (link below) Hope this helps.

urbanhomestead.org...

attra.ncat.org...

www.organicproducermag.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Yes, the chicken tractor is a great idea. A few friends have it and it's the way to go for a small area.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

That is an awesome video. That family is incredible and makes me envy them. You've just kicked off my urge to build the ultimate garden this year.

new topics

top topics

join