It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEI: Nuclear Energy Institute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a link to these guys was in my e-mail, sent by a friend i trust.
i'm assuming he passes this trust to the institute.
anyone familiar?
seems to me they are not making the mistakes concerning coverage that the msm and different governments are.
i was surprised to search their name and have absolutely nothing come up on ats.

nei link

Japan Earthquake: NEI Updates for Thursday, March 17 **NOTE: THIS PAGE SHOWS UPDATES FOR THURSDAY, MARCH 17. FOR THE MOST CURRENT INFORMATION ON THE SITUATION IN JAPAN, CLICK HERE.** UPDATE AS OF 5:45 P.M. EDT, THURSDAY, MARCH 17: NEI has uploaded three new videos to its YouTube channel. The first features Art Stall (Retired), President and Chief Nuclear Officer of NextEra Energy, discussing how the U.S. nuclear industry prepares for natural and man-made disasters. The second and third videos feature Jeff Merrifield, former NRC commissioner and senior vice president at The Shaw Group, discussing next steps for implementing lessons learned from Japan and confidence that construction of new U.S. nuclear plants should continue. UPDATE AS OF 5:00 P.M. EDT, THURSDAY, MARCH 17: It is unlikely that radiation released from the nuclear reactors in Japan will harm anyone in the United States, President Obama said in a press briefing this afternoon. "We do not expect harmful levels of radiation to reach the United States, Hawaii, Alaska or U.S. territories in the Pacific," Obama said. He added that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention "does not recommend that people in the U.S. take precautionary measures other than staying informed." Obama said "our nuclear plants have undergone exhaustive study and have been declared safe for any number of contingencies." However, he said that when there is an event such as the Fukushima accident, "we should learn from that. That's why I have asked the NRC to do a comprehensive review of our nuclear plants" in light of the natural disaster that has happened in Japan. In a briefing earlier on Thursday, Gregory Jaczko, chairman of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, said, "There can't be any harm to anyone in the United States" from the Japanese nuclear power plant. Dan Poneman, the deputy secretary of energy, said today that two U.S. flights to Japan collected information on radiation levels. These readings informed the decision to recommend that Americans evacuate an area 50 miles from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear energy facility. Poneman expressed confidence in the safety of U.S. nuclear power plants, saying they're evaluated on a "minute by minute" basis. Taking safety precautions "goes back decades," he said. Tough safety standards have been in effect and upgraded since 1979, he said. Status of Fukushima plants In Japan, engineers have laid a power line that can connect reactor 2 of the Daiichi facility to the off-site power grid, the International Atomic Energy Agency reported. Workers are working to reconnect the power to reactor 2 after they complete spraying water into the reactor 3 complex to provide additional cooling to the used fuel pool. Reconnecting to the power grid is expected to enhance efforts to prevent further damage at the plant. Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency reported on Thursday that the backup diesel generator for reactor 6 is working and supplying electricity to reactors 5 and 6. TEPCO is preparing to add water to the storage pools that house used nuclear fuel rods at those two reactors. UPDATE AS OF 1:30 P.M. EDT, THURSDAY, MARCH 17: Radiation readings at the Fukushima Daiichi site boundary were measured today at a lower level, between 2 and 3 millirem per hour.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The Nuclear Energy Institute doesn't have any political agendas. They deal in facts
about nuclear power. I trust them.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
ooopppssss, sorry about the obama quote.
i c&p'd the wrong thing.
here is what i meant to post.

Status of Fukushima plants In Japan, engineers have laid a power line that can connect reactor 2 of the Daiichi facility to the off-site power grid, the International Atomic Energy Agency reported. Workers are working to reconnect the power to reactor 2 after they complete spraying water into the reactor 3 complex to provide additional cooling to the used fuel pool. Reconnecting to the power grid is expected to enhance efforts to prevent further damage at the plant. Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency reported on Thursday that the backup diesel generator for reactor 6 is working and supplying electricity to reactors 5 and 6. TEPCO is preparing to add water to the storage pools that house used nuclear fuel rods at those two reactors. UPDATE AS OF 1:30 P.M. EDT, THURSDAY, MARCH 17: Radiation readings at the Fukushima Daiichi site boundary were measured today at a lower level, between 2 and 3 millirem per hour. UPDATE AS OF 11:35 A.M. EDT, THURSDAY, MARCH 17: Fukushima Daiichi The reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant are in stable condition and are being cooled with seawater, but workers at the plant continue efforts to add cooling water to fuel pools at reactors 3 and 4. The status of the reactors at the site is as follows: Reactor 1's primary containment is believed to be intact and the reactor is in a stable condition. Seawater injection into the reactor is continuing. Reactor 2 is in stable condition with seawater injection continuing. The reactor's primary containment may not have been breached, Tokyo Electric Power Co. and World Association of Nuclear Operators officials said on Thursday. Access problems at the site have delayed connection of a temporary cable to restore off-site electricity. The connection will provide power to the control rod drive pump, instrumentation, batteries and the control room. Power has not been available at the site since the earthquake on March 11. Reactor 3 is in stable condition with seawater injection continuing. The primary containment is believed to be intact. Pressure in the containment has fluctuated due to venting of the reactor containment structure. TEPCO officials say that although one side of the concrete wall of the reactor 4 fuel pool structure has collapsed, the steel liner of the pool remains intact, based on aerial photos of the reactor taken on March 17. The pool still has water providing some cooling for the fuel; however, helicopters dropped water on the reactor four times during the morning (Japan time) on March 17. Water also was sprayed at reactor 4 using high-pressure water cannons. Reactors 5 and 6 were both shut down before the quake occurred. Primary and secondary containments are intact at both reactors. Temperature instruments in the spent fuel pools at reactors 5 and 6 are operational, and temperatures are being maintained at about 62 degrees Celsius. TEPCO is continuing efforts to restore power at reactor 5. Fukushima Daini All four reactors at the Fukushima Daini plant have reached cold shutdown conditions with normal cooling being maintained using residual heat removal systems.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
So, according to their reports, things seem to be calming down to a reasonable level at Fukushima?

Could they be seeing some good news at last?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jomina
So, according to their reports, things seem to be calming down to a reasonable level at Fukushima?

Could they be seeing some good news at last?

i'm leaning towards yes, trusting my friend, and we have one
from a fellow poster above.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
also, i'd like to add,
does anyone know of other organizations where information is obtainable?
besides any sort of msm.
links appreciated.

new topics

top topics

join