It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An ATS member reports from central Tokyo: Part 2

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
Can you please let us know how the local television stations are responding to the events? Is coverage wall-to-wall, spotty, or nonexistent? I'm very intrested in this information and if your opinion is that the government is minimizing the events or responding/reporting appropriately.

Please be safe!

I haven't been watching TV too much but it has indeed been wall-to-wall. They started to introduce some "normal" programming last night for maybe the first time in a few days (?)

An interesting aside: Because of the sombre content, most commercial advertising has been pulled from the news shows, except for a handful quasi-public ads by bureaus related to the govt etc, that play over and over. TV stations have gotten complaints from viewers that their kids are driving them crazy singing the jingle to one of these becuase its on all the time.

Do I think they are minimizing the risk? Probably. Their reports are more optimistic than the US ones. But I suspect incompetence and small-midedness rather than out-and-out evildoing as the culprit.
edit on 3/17/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Please take lots of pics.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I want to add my voice to thanking you for continuing. This is a rare window into what is happening. I'm particularly interested in the US Navy and what they are doing. It appears they are ready to evacuate non-essential personnel. They are also moving Carrier Air Wing Five, which belongs with the CVN George Washington. Captain of the base said they were going north to assist, though F/A-18s don't work too well for humanitarian assistance. I heard another report the Hornets were being sent to Guam and elsewhere while the other airplanes, including small cargo planes such as the C-2 Greyhounds, were the ones pressed into service. We have several amphibious ships in the area that are reportedly carrying Japanese military, and the USS Ronald Reagan Strike Group is entering the area.

At first glance this may seem inappropriate, but the Reagan has two full-service hospitals on board and can generate electrical power for a small city. They also have numerous helos that can be used in various missions. Apparently some of the helos took on some radiation and 17 sailors had to be decontaminated. All in all we could have at least 30 ships in the area very quickly, insofar as they are useful.

If you happen to come across any info on these guys I wpuld appreciate knowing. Thanks and good luck. I think I'm going to go find a geiger counter, But what could you do? Yup! This here thing is ticking. Too late! Oh, pooh!
edit on 3/17/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
I want to add my voice to thanking you for continuing. This is a rare window into what is happening. I'm particularly interested in the US Navy and what they are doing. It appears they are ready to evacuate non-essential personnel. They are also moving Carrier Air Wing Five, which belongs with the CVN George Washington. Captain of the base said they were going north to assist, though F/A-18s don't work too well for humanitarian assistance. I heard another report the Hornets were being sent to Guam and elsewhere while the other airplanes, including small cargo planes such as the C-2 Greyhounds, were the ones pressed into service. We have several amphibious ships in the area that are reportedly carrying Japanese military, and the USS Ronald Reagan Strike Group is entering the area.

At first glance this may seem inappropriate, but the Reagan has two full-service hospitals on board and can generate electrical power for a small city. They also have numerous helos that can be used in various missions. Apparently some of the helos took on some radiation and 17 sailors had to be decontaminated. All in all we could have at least 30 ships in the area very quickly, insofar as they are useful.

If you happen to come across any info on these guys I wpuld appreciate knowing. Thanks and good luck. I think I'm going to go find a geiger counter, But what could you do? Yup! This here thing is ticking. Too late! Oh, pooh!
edit on 3/17/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

I will be sure to inform you if I hear anything about the Navy. I heard a rumor yesterday that most US soldiers were being evacuated from the area in waves but I don't know. Lots of others foreigners seem to be fleeing in droves.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

You are cordially invited to place your pudgy, cheetoh-dust-stained fingers on your mouse and click the "x" in the upper-right-hand corner of your browser. The rest of us are trying to get stuff done here.

That gave me a great laugh - thanks for the good vibes - be safe in the storm.

The confidence in the safety of Tokyo hangs by your will alone.

I hope you find a geiger counter - I'd like to hear some of the readings from you personally.

Blessings to you on your journey,

-GM

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
You sir are a true ATSer.
PEACE LOVE AND LIGHT BROTHER

Stay safe
Look forward to pictures

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Just try not to let the haters get at ya', ST. I am very glad that you are keeping us informed, with real on-the-spot info. Where the hell else are we gonna get real updates? The MSM?! NAW!

Again, thanks.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
**ATTENTION**

As already pointed out by the OP, this thread is for the discussion of Tokyo, the Japan Crisis and his views, commentary on the situation. We are lucky enough to have somebody here who is willing to do this and provide us with this information.

Any posts that are off topic, rude or not entirely about the subject matter at hand will be removed without warning. Consider this the one and only warning in regards to T&C breaking behaviour.

Thank You

~Keeper
ATS Moderator

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I would also like to thank you and I don't think you have to explain yourself to us at all. Most of us are more than happy getting your updates from the ground. Please keep them coming.

I have a question if I may? Where on earth does one start when wanting to locate a geiger counter? I wouldn't know where to begin ...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
i loved the comment about the "dedicated tin foil hat..."... great!!.. it sounds like no info is being handed to the public - kinda leaving everyone in the dark. can you get hold of a police scanner? shortwave radio?.. again good luck and god speed!!! i just hope godzilla doesn't appear soon...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Best of luck to you. Thank you for sharing! S&F from me!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
OK, a few quick pics to tide you over. Not all that exciting but still...

Top: Borded-up shops in an alley in Tokyo's Akihabara district, yesterday around 11:30 AM. Normally these would be a hive of activity. Some die-hard venders were doing business. They gouged me for a flashlight but I was just happy to get one.

Bottom: A police car zooms by a conveniece store, this morning. There has been a conspicuious uptick of wailing sirens and emergency vehicles of all sorts since the quake, and with the streets emptier than usual, they stand out.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a51e729b2ecb.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cb45eb194a24.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

nice to have you back!

do you have any "before/after" photos of the lights of tokyo? like in your first thread.

i was there beginning of feb and it was great, (first time visit) shinjuku and shinano onsen hotel. hung out around kabukicho.

my friend lives about 3 stops (on the train) from there and he says things are pretty cool.

edit on 17-3-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Glad you're still ok.Is the government trying to get you to leave? I see on the news that Americans are being encouraged to leave...you getting any pressure to leave?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

nice to have you back!

do you have any "before/after" photos of the lights of tokyo?

Yeah, I thought about doing this. Good call.

Top: The picture I took the other day from Shibuya overpass, showing the turned-off neon. (Skeptics note the "silent thunder" logo on the scrap of paper in the lower-right-hand corner of the pic).

Bottom: A picture of the same interection from a slightly different angle in happier, more normal times. (Note: I did NOT take the second picture.)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e506c5c46103.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8abd5b0bda10.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
Glad you're still ok.Is the government trying to get you to leave? I see on the news that Americans are being encouraged to leave...you getting any pressure to leave?

I'm getting all kinds of pressure to leave, from my family and friends as well as from business associates.

The US government? No. The government seems focused on evacuating government personnel, which is understandable. They will make evac planes avalable for others but they aren't forcing anyone to leave. As for me, I make my own luck...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by luminaut
This thread would be a whole lot more interesting if it had ANY information. I don't know why you started it, because there is next to nothing of substance in it. And I don't get why everyone is praising you for doing not much of anything. Total fail, as far as I'm concerned. What a waste of time.

Got any spedific information in mind you are looking for? I'll do what I can to answer any questions.

I'll try to post more photos and give little updates as time goes by. Sorry if that's not cool with you, bro. Remember, you get what you pay for, and I'm posting for free here.

There are lots of Charlie Sheen threads elswehere on the net to occupy you, I'm sure.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Thank you for posting ..honestly i'm little jealous on you ....i want to be in Tokyo now

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Greetings silent thunder. I am happy you came back, and sad that people treat such a good news source like that. Some people are just like that. John Lear and a few other got the same treatment. Pay it no mind. My heart goes out to you and your people, as you mourn your dead and try to stay alive in a disaster area, the wold is watching you, and we can see how brave and strong the Japanese people are. I wish you well, and ask the a Goddess Kwan Yin bring your people peace and calm in these times. Bless you all.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join