<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno

Originally posted by Village Idiot
reply to post by wayno

And there are Children all over the World starving, everyday

Do you still enjoy your Christmas Turkey?

I hate turkey actually.

This man is right there in the midst of the suffering; yet he has the gall to brag about his posh circumstances. Tokyo is only one of his many homes across the Pacific region. I have no sympathy or appreciation for his accomplishments in terms of personal gain while others around him suffer. We got a slight glimpse that maybe he is having some second thoughts about his priorities. I certainly hope so.

Thus far most people here have been sucking up to an egomaniac whilst attacking anyone who dare question him. It is deplorable.

tough nuggies!

get your butt over there and douse them reactors!

you ever eat kobe beef and drink crystal in the middle of a triple disaster?

there are 130mil people in japan, what is he really gonna do?

blame the hotel for not going into 3rd world mode.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Nice to see your back, ST. Keep safe and don't listen to the fools. Thanks for the updates. I'm not the only one who appreciates what you can tell us about the situation there.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

who said living well is the best revenge? lol!

i have some cool night pics of shijuku from last month.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Welcome back Silent Thunder! Glad the "force" of ATS was too much to resist.... It can be quite powerful as you know....

One thing I was wondering about is if you would comment on this thread: (not mine)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It doesn't make sense to me from the standpoint of my understanding & knowledge of Asian cultures and the level of respect they normally exhibit towards their elders. Can you shed any light, or possibly provide us with more insight or any more details on this issue?

Thanks!

edit on 3/20/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Silent thunder is the perfect example of someone with a disposable income and zero self awareness.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The pictures below are not directly germane to the quake or radiation, but some of you might find them of interest. These are members of an Uyoku Dantai, a kind of far-right paramilitary group. These groups play a strange role in the Japanese social ecology, which is not really relevant to our purposes here, but fascinating nonetheless and well worth a bit of net research for those interested.

This group drove up in several vehicles to the front of the controversial Yasukuni Shrine, which is a magnet for the Japanese far right and a perpetual focus of international bickering. They drove up, trucks blaring chants and music, stopped, stood in a line, and bowed deeply to the shrine. I don’t know whether this is a routine thing they do (these guys drive around Tokyo a lot, making noise and occasionally trouble), or if it had a special significance at this particular time. Anyway, pictures below taken today in the late afternoon, maybe 4:00 or so.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Psychological notes (early AM, March 21, Tokyo):

I believe a very, very strange and hard-to-define emotional and cognitive milieu has blossomed here. It is something I think will be very difficult for “outsiders” (by which I mean not non-Japanese per se, but rather any human who doesn’t happen to be within Tokyo city limits at this moment) to understand, but I’ll give it a go.

For starters, there appears to be a huge disjunction in the way this tragedy is perceived in Tokyo versus the way I am seeing it lensed through the media around the rest of the world. Now, this is tricky stuff, because ultimately I can’t speak for others, and my own slightly-ragged mental state calls my own perceptions and observations into question. It’s not that there is any less grief, or shock, or horror, or fear…of course all of that is there, far more vividly for the Japanese people than for non-Japanese. But along with this, the people in Tokyo have slapped a patina of “normalcy” on everything, and this is quite logical. It can be called “sheeple” behavior on one level, but actually, it goes beyond that, because the threat of radiation (plus all the grief and other difficult emotions) is so enormous, so close, and so out of anyone’s hands, that most people simply can’t spend all day wallowing in it, or they wouldn’t be able to go on. It’s the “elephant in the room,” the unspoken thing on everyone’s mind that people can’t speak about or process yet.

This lends the city a curious, hyped-up fin-de-siècle ambience. A sort of lurking nihilism, flashes of hedonism from within a fog of subdued shuffling, and desires to get lost in something, anything (work, drink, love, a hobby, whatever). Meanwhile, this jittery, adrenaline-fueled form of chirpy denial butts up against a turbulent goo of unprocessed heavy emotions. Like two weather systems colliding, an unstable state is the result. Thus we have the second phenomenon I’ve been noting constantly, both in myself and others: a tendency toward emotional 180-degree-turns on a dime, very unpredictably over nothing at all. (Witness my own poor behavior in this thread, for example.) The feeling of normalcy can go on and on, and it is like sinking into a warm bath on a cold day…but then, suddenly, tempers flare up over nothing, before subsiding just as quickly. I’ve seen similar behavior in people before in difficult situations, and I speculate that when it sets in on a mass scale, it is a sign of community-wide emotional fatigue and dissonance. I have seen some “odd behavior” on the street; people doing obsessive-compulsive type routines, stopping stock-still in the middle of the street and staring, and so on. In a big city that sort of thing is always around, and maybe I just notice it because I’m looking for it, but notice it I did.

Other notes of possible interest: Dawn will be coming soon. The sky is lightening. I do not think it has rained yet, but it may within the coming day. I have seen taxis from Tohoku in the streets – people must have taken them all the way to Tokyo at enormous cost. The lack of foreigners in the streets (not that there are ever all that many to begin with) is conspicuious. There have been unconfirmed rumors of a kind of “scavenging” in the afflicted areas up north. I’m not sure this can be called “looting” because its not smashing windows and grabbing things, but rather surreptitiously picking through another person’s rubble. Today is a national holiday, so most businesses will be closed. If it rains, I will not risk contamination by going out today, so you may have to wait for more pictures.

"What was missing was felt irretrievable. The extreme uncertainties...made excesses necessary and breaks definitive."
-Guy Debord, 1931-1994

edit on 3/20/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Thanks for posting.

Don't let the rude posters shut you down, their comments just show your eyewitness account is valuable.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
So happy to see you have returned ST! How much longer do you think you will be staying in japan? Stay safe my friend!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Dear Silent Thunder --

Thank you for your incredible post. You and all of Japan have suffered a series of major traumas exasperated by the fact that the stress just continues. The behaviors of the people on the street as well as your own demonstrate the emotional devastation that has occurred and everyones attempts to cope.

www.trauma-pages.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">symtoms & coping strategies

So, be good to yourself and do comforting things for yourself. You are writing and sharing your experiences and that in itself is healing.

Robyn

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
March 21, Tokyo

Secure. Expect to stay in Tokyo through the middle or the end of the coming week at least. If airports are shut down or egress is otherwise impossible at that point, I will reevaluate.

A few quick notes about the developing situation in Tokyo, as follows.

1. Radiation:
The topic on everyone's mind.
I have been unable to locate another Geiger counter, and the issue is simply not being discussed in the Japanese media(!), so it is very hard to know the true levels of radiation. Some of you may recall on Tuesday the radiation in Tokyo jumped some twentyfold, I believe, before subsiding. There was brief talk of a radiation "plume" arcing south toward Tokyo, but that line of inquiry seems to have subsided ( or been snuffed out).

Today's heavy rain brings with it particular worries. Radiation can be transmitted via rain with terrible effect, and there are long-term consequences for the water-table, food, and so forth. But right now the city needs to get through the short term. I find it disconcerting that the US military (if I understand correctly) has asked personnel to stay indoors and take basic radiation precautions in areas south of Tokyo, while the Japanese govt has not issued any instructions for the millions of citizens in Tokyo. Is the Japanese government more worried about fear than radiation?  

How bad is radiation in Tokyo now? The source for the following readings is of questionable validity, but the are the only up to date radiation figures  I could find today.

Readings below allegedly taken in Tokyo within 2 hours prior to this writing at the locations listed.
0.13 μSv/h: Meguro, Tokyo
0.17  μSv/h: Meguro, Tokyo 
0.15  μSv/h: Odaiba area, Tokyo

These are low numbers within the normal range.

Social order/coherence:
 the MSM TV news (Japanese) is reporting a growing number of people leaving Tokyo. The implication seems to be that they are seeking supplies in nearby Saitama prefecture or other neighboring areas. The reports do not mention radiation  as a motivation for leaving the city, which strikes me as a glaring and telling omission. And even if people are leaving the city for "supplies" rather than radiation, what exactly does that say about the situation?

This development is worrisome, and as noted earlier, I see mass human flight from Tokyo as one of the biggest potential dangers at this point. It would be likely to happen rapidly, and it would almost certainly entail a massive humanitarian tragedy and untold chaos. As of this writing, there is no reason to expect this as a given, but I see it as one ugly possibility. Keep your eyes on any sign of panic or mass exodus from this city. Judging from what I saw yesterday, the mood of the city was much more upbeat than one would expect. But keep in mind my psychological comments above, too -- just as individuals can experience sudden mood swings in times of stress, cities can too.

3. Other conditions:
Due to lack of contact with the outside for the past 16 hours or so, I won't hazard to speculate at this point on traffic, food and supplies, or the other topics I've been touching on. However, confidence  bolstered by the low radiation readings, I plan to go surface-side for a quick walk within the next hour so I will see what I can discover if anything

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by paperface

What are you doing here being sarcastic and making a nuisance of yourself by picking on a person who is just trying to be of service to members who is interested to know firsthand what goes on the toyko.
Have you got nothing to do other than making enemies at forums. If you do not like what members are doing here DO not read or post offending comments.Make a thread of your own and see what people will do to you.Get the hell out of this thread!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Radiation just spiked in the one region here,

www.targetmap.com...

The max reading for their scale is 2040 and it is there now, up from 630 yesterday. Hitachinaka city is where the reading is from at the bottom of the page.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Thanks for your update. It is appreciated.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Fantastic update Silent Thunder!

That is the most information I've seen about what's going on in Tokyo than I've read from the MSM all day.

The only thing I've heard the last day or so from the MSM was that low levels of radiation were beginning to already show up in some milk and spinach products. I imagine that the agricultural areas in the North Eastern areas of Japan that haven't already been destroyed by the tsunami are going to be wiped out from the market reaction to the radiation falling onto the ground. Time will only tell exactly to what level.

So it sounds like you are hunkered down a bit - staying away from what little fallout there has been - and it seems like there is quite a bit of distrust of the government going on right now. I should imagine so.

Keep us posted ST!!
edit on 21-3-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by soaringhawk
reply to post by robyn

Ahhhhhhhhhh. He was there before this came. He has chosen to stay. He's not Japanese. He's not suffered one zilch!

I don't think that is either fair or true.

He will be having trouble keeping calm. Even people with money can't buy something if it isn't there to be bought.

You don't know what he is really going through. My guess is he'd be feeling creeping panic if he dwells on the reality of the situation and he is doing exceptionally well to stay rational and write clearly.

I'm in Japan as well, but I'm well away from the immediate dangers in Tokyo.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperface
reply to post by soaringhawk

I agree with you,I am bewildered by all the people praising him like he actually did something important.

Its basically just sneering at the Japanese and using the tradgedy as a way to gain attention.
It seems some people are very easily impressed to be giving him so much praise.
As my mother taught me "The bird of life will peck off your nose".In other words enjoying misfortune will get back to you.
edit on 20-3-2011 by paperface because: (no reason given)

It's not praise so much as encouragement.

He is NOT sneering at the Japanese - or anyone else.

Just because he isn't your usual foreigner here who abuses the host and ridicules people who are informed and worried about the dangers resulting from the March 11 quake means he is worthy of attack for being different?

There are BBS for foreigners in Japan and if you were to read what most foreigners write you'll soon get angry with their rudeness and complacency.

ST will likely have to leave at some point because until the nukes are prevented from spewing radioactive material, Tokyo is an accident waiting to happen.

And ST will be acutely aware of a coverup and also be aware there are tens or hundreds of thousands of people apparently being neglected when they could be being helped.

He is a relatively sane voice amongst total ignoramuses and a silent media.

* And no one's perfect.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
March 21, Tokyo

Secure. Expect to stay in Tokyo through the middle or the end of the coming week at least. If airports are shut down or egress is otherwise impossible at that point, I will reevaluate.

A few quick notes about the developing situation in Tokyo, as follows.

1. Radiation:
The topic on everyone's mind.
I have been unable to locate another Geiger counter, and the issue is simply not being discussed in the Japanese media(!), so it is very hard to know the true levels of radiation. Some of you may recall on Tuesday the radiation in Tokyo jumped some twentyfold, I believe, before subsiding. There was brief talk of a radiation "plume" arcing south toward Tokyo, but that line of inquiry seems to have subsided ( or been snuffed out).

Today's heavy rain brings with it particular worries. Radiation can be transmitted via rain with terrible effect, and there are long-term consequences for the water-table, food, and so forth. But right now the city needs to get through the short term. I find it disconcerting that the US military (if I understand correctly) has asked personnel to stay indoors and take basic radiation precautions in areas south of Tokyo, while the Japanese govt has not issued any instructions for the millions of citizens in Tokyo. Is the Japanese government more worried about fear than radiation?  

How bad is radiation in Tokyo now? The source for the following readings is of questionable validity, but the are the only up to date radiation figures  I could find today.

Readings below allegedly taken in Tokyo within 2 hours prior to this writing at the locations listed.
0.13 μSv/h: Meguro, Tokyo
0.17  μSv/h: Meguro, Tokyo 
0.15  μSv/h: Odaiba area, Tokyo

These are low numbers within the normal range.

Social order/coherence:
 the MSM TV news (Japanese) is reporting a growing number of people leaving Tokyo. The implication seems to be that they are seeking supplies in nearby Saitama prefecture or other neighboring areas. The reports do not mention radiation  as a motivation for leaving the city, which strikes me as a glaring and telling omission. And even if people are leaving the city for "supplies" rather than radiation, what exactly does that say about the situation?

This development is worrisome, and as noted earlier, I see mass human flight from Tokyo as one of the biggest potential dangers at this point. It would be likely to happen rapidly, and it would almost certainly entail a massive humanitarian tragedy and untold chaos. As of this writing, there is no reason to expect this as a given, but I see it as one ugly possibility. Keep your eyes on any sign of panic or mass exodus from this city. Judging from what I saw yesterday, the mood of the city was much more upbeat than one would expect. But keep in mind my psychological comments above, too -- just as individuals can experience sudden mood swings in times of stress, cities can too.

3. Other conditions:
Due to lack of contact with the outside for the past 16 hours or so, I won't hazard to speculate at this point on traffic, food and supplies, or the other topics I've been touching on. However, confidence  bolstered by the low radiation readings, I plan to go surface-side for a quick walk within the next hour so I will see what I can discover if anything

Pursuant to the above: Went out and had a look around after writing that. Brief impressions (by their very nature subjective) are as follows.

Transportation: More cars on the road, more pedestrians despite the rain. Approaching normal levels of traffic flow. Trains seem to be running regularly. 

Commerce: Again, it was a hodge-podge of open and closed stores and restaurants. Most offices closed for scheduled national holiday. The larger the establishment, the more likely it was to be open, but this was not a hard-and-fast rule. Chains are generally open (but some branches shut) Some things I saw on my walk, in no particular order: An Indian curry restaurant, open for business but empty. A photography studio where a proud mother was fussing over her children dressed in chidren's kimonos and getting their pictures taken. Fast food restaurants open and doing a thriving business. A watch repair man with customers. Plenty of shuttered stores as well.

Power: Electricity seems to be widely available. Lights are still radically dimmer than normal, but I see a bit more light today (although this may be a function of it being dark and rainy). Rolling blackouts seem not to have come to Central Tokyo, and I heard some takj about this causing some grumbling among those in suburban areas, etc., but I can't verify this.

Food: The big (and pleasantly optimistic) change today was a sudden abundence of food, both basic and otherwise, in grocery stores and other shops, in this area of Tokyo, at least. (see pictures below). The situation in the grocery stores was an enormous step up from what it had been several days before. A few days ago, the same store had a security guard posted, and they were only letting in small clumps of shoppers at a time. Now the store was open to all, with much more in the way of goods, and the people of Tokyo rushed enthusiastically (but not chaotically) to stock up depleated pantries. THE RETURN OF RICE: Sacks of rice are back (see pic below). Note the sign: One per customer (no hoarding).

Public sentiment: Again, like yesterday, seems almost normal. I did not spend enough time interacting with people to be sure. I spoke briefly to the grocery store manager and asked if the food situation had stablized for good, He said nobody in the company -- even the higher-ups -- could say for sure, and they were just relieved to be able to meet demand steadily and abundantly for now. A bit suprised to see so many people out and about despite the potential dangers that radioactive rain could present.

A well-stocked fruit section. Note some gaps in the lineup, but the picture is a substantial change from the much-barer shelves of few days earlier.

Below: Rice is back in the grocery store, and there seems to be enough to meet demand, at least today. Note the "one per customer" regulation.

At a department store grocery. Fruit, meat, and vegetables of all kind were available. The mood in the grocery store was unhurried and there was no sense of panic or urgency.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join