It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Authorizes Military Strikes on Libya

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Drop a few bombs here
a few bombs there,
shouldn't take too long
for us to take the SOB out

AT LEAST I FOR SURE HOPE THE *SNIP* NOT

If they are going to do it. I say get in and out quick as possible ASAP.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly
If they are going to do it. I say get in and out quick as possible ASAP.

I totally agree! Do it and get the hell out.

What makes me think they may not is the oilfields. Are they going to get troops on the ground to protect the oil? This seems like a fairly plausible scenario.

I hope NATO honors the rebels wishes.

Respect,

AS
edit on 17-3-2011 by AeonStorm because: sp

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

I say screw his oil, I really hope they just bomb his palace!

Odds are he will try to blow the oil fields up the ones he controls that is...

The people in libya though could make a honest living off that oil over a trillion dollars worth..

We shall see....

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
Just on CNN. Military action in Libya within hours. I think the brits have a carrier over there so I guess their boys will be going in first.

I know the brits got assets there. The US has a legendary name over there, the USS Enterprise. Hope it's not too late.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This is going to be another mess. Gaddafi isn't stupid enough to try and fight back - his thugs would be no match for my local over-60's bingo club, never mind the combined forces of NATO. So what are we left with? Spending time, money and lives in another country, with no time-frame and no end in sight, chasing North Africans around the backstreets, killing innocent civilians in the process no doubt. Great.

On the plus side, there is oil. And some target practice for the Eurofighter.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by fltcui

The "Arab Street" throughout the middle east is watching to see what we and our western allies do. We westerners always talk a good talk, but fail in their eyes.

Is it about time we do something just because it's right? Save the lives of people who simply want what Tunisians and Egyptians won? The CHANCE for once to have the right to self-determination?

The Arab League has asked for this, to protect the rebels, and at least four countries in the AL are offering to join the effort.

Us westerners have treated middle east people as a commodity, as if Arabs are somehow subhuman and not worthy of the same rights we have.

These people in Libya are begging for help. When they heard the results of the UN vote, grown men were crying in the streets.

Are they not worthy? Are they so less deserving than we westerners are that we tolerate brutal dictatorships?

Time to end that.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
That is why I have been seeing Military helicopters, makes sense now and I agree we should not get involved let them sort it out we never seem to help the rest of Africa out when they are in trouble.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AeonStorm
We, in NATO countries, are on the verge of yet another war. In fact we are possibly "within hours" of commencing operations.

Right now they are talking about air strikes but once you cross that line and decide to jump in there's no telling how far you'll go.

We all know that governments like to use stories like the tragedy taking place in Japan to push agenda's while everyone's head is turned. This development comes as no surprise to me, and to be honest, I think everyone is too busy looking at Japan to put fourth much opposition.

Peace & Respect,

AS

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-3-2011 by AeonStorm because: spelling + clarity

I think this is a fully justified situation to engage in military operations for and many human rights groups seem to agree.

If we had it your way, mass murders and genocides we could just let happen to avoid "dirtying" our hands. I mean if you think this is some conspiracy to take Libya's oil or something to that effect (speaking on a general note, not just to you), then why the huge hesitation? The world, the U.S., does not want another major conflict and they hesitated until the very end to make sure most of the international community was on board.

Letting this maniac stay in power is the greatest mistake we could make especially now that we have abandoned him. He's not Saddam. There was a huge revolt in the country and a very active effort to unseat him yet he has engaged in genocidal efforts almost to clean up the opposition. This is someone who must be stopped. Even the Arab League was calling for a no-fly zone and Egypt has been supplying small arms to the rebel forces.

With wide international support, such humanitarian missions should be engaged in. Sure it's not totally selfless. A more favorable climate in Libya towards the United States and its allies will result, but it's a realistic solution given this guy's tendencies.

I just pray it's not too late...

Frankly though the rest of the world should step up to punish dictators and aggressors. If they had done so previously in history, great tragedies could have been averted including something known as World War II. However false flag operations by the US that are unilateral in nature and long-lasting (and without reasons) are of course bad. Iraq was an example of that type of nonsense.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Some of you need to pull your heads out.

This is a situation where the civilized world needs to act.

The people, who bravely stood up to gadaffi are being slaughtered by this madman because he refused to release power.
Unlike the other dictators who left when it was clear their people didnt want them, Gadaffi refuses to go alive.

This isnt another Iraq or Afghanistan.
This isnt something created in the halls of the CIA.

The people are asking for our help, they deserve it.

If our cries of democracy and freedom are worth anything at all, we'll go in, destroy their airforce, drop one bomb on Gadaffi then leave.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
www.navy.mil...

Tomahawk® Cruise Missile
Unit Cost: Approximately $569,000 (FY99 $).

So who pays a half million dollars a piece for all these bombs were going to use?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Two things here.

1) Pay attention to the economy. If it starts to get better after/during this process, then the American economy is sure enough slaves to the MIC. Don't ask for specifics, I don't know, its just a theory. But I'm paying attention. Gas prices have gotten high, we're attacking a country with oil, now watch the gas prices. If they go back down, you should know what's going on here.

2) Libya is pretty close to Iran. Do we have any bases in Libya as of now? I'm guessing not. So why not drop a couple American bases there. Didn't we get a couple bases in Egpyt recently, too? The March To Iran is here folks, believe it or not. And Iran ain't gonna take our ****, period. And they shouldn't. Their "President" is crazy but we're a fascist state that could be leaning heavily on the MIC. We shouldn't take sides in ANY of these politicians. I fear WW3 might be closer than we think. It might not be called WW3, they might make it a "friendlier" sounding name. But just remember that when you get upset we're at war, you're gonna have the patriots of America calling you a domestic terrorist because you aren't wearing your red, white, and blue bowtie to work.

www.chartingstocks.net...

The United States doesn't care about Libya, we're marching towards Iran and putting up bases.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Except in Bahrain where it's ok to shoot protestors, right?... or Saudi, perhaps? Or Yemen... Certainly Lebanon they're our newest lap dogs in the middle east right? Ivory Coast has a dictator who's openly killed many thousands, but he's cool too. Sudan's dictator is a convicted war criminal who has the blood of hundreds of thousands to answer for - - but no rush.

Of course, you're right. Libyans need to be saved from this brutal dictator, whose army drop bombs hundreds of yards from protestors while they fire aimlessly into the sky. Funny how all the ameteur footage in Libya cannot be verified, admittedly even by the BBC and Sky News in several reports the previous days. But, OK sure, you seem to think it's the most pressing matter to remove this dictator before any other, so cvonvince me of why that is? And not because Libyan 'rebels' are asking for it, because you'll find much needier, more desperate 'rebels' elsewhere. If you can convince me of that I won't even mention the oil.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Who? We tax payers will. So? We've blown Billions for lesser causes and reasons.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I agree that something needs to be done for humanitarian reasons. But my first thought when I heard the news was why did the UN wait so long. Is it because while they didn't want MG in power, they didn't want the rebels to be in power either? Waiting this long gave MG the time to wipe out the rebels, now the UN goes in, takes out MG, and then set up the government they want. Just me wondering.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

It is pressing, because the Administration's lack of followup to "Gaddafy must go" from Obama encourages other repressive regimes who think they can do as they like, and not deal with their people's rightful grievances, and gives a tacit approval.

EDIT: The us doesn't get a drop of oil from Libya.
edit on 17-3-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
How about we get the UK to do this one so they can make up for those back room deals to release terrorist for oil rights.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Some of you need to pull your heads out.

This is a situation where the civilized world needs to act.

The people, who bravely stood up to gadaffi are being slaughtered by this madman because he refused to release power.
Unlike the other dictators who left when it was clear their people didnt want them, Gadaffi refuses to go alive.

This isnt another Iraq or Afghanistan.
This isnt something created in the halls of the CIA.

The people are asking for our help, they deserve it.

If our cries of democracy and freedom are worth anything at all, we'll go in, destroy their airforce, drop one bomb on Gadaffi then leave.

You can't stop violence with violence. It always turns into some huge war, EVERY SINGLE ****ing time. When will we ever learn? Every single time it's always so clear and simple... How quickly we forget, the world isn't so.

Not like saving lives was the intention of the UN anyway. It's all about money and power. War has never been about peace.
edit on 17-3-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanescence

Evanescence and Agit8dChop: Thank God somebody sees it that way. I think it may all be grand theater though, so late a vote when they've been begging for help for weeks, and no one has stood up for them.

Of course, no one saw Tunis or Egypt either; maybe these people will surprise the money handlers once again.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
Just on CNN. Military action in Libya within hours. I think the brits have a carrier over there so I guess their boys will be going in first.

We have only got Illustrious in service not sure where she is at the moment...but I know we have some frigates around there.I guess Italy or Malta will be considerations.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

So, you'd like me to believe that the US backing the Saudi occupation of Bahrain is not giving its tacit approval of middle east dictatorships holding onto power?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join