It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Tame' leapoard kills TV crew member

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

'Tame' leapoard kills TV crew member

uk.news.yahoo.com

A leopard that was believed to be tame has tragically killed a member of a German television crew while on location in Namibia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Why is it that when humans are STUPID enough to be in the direct presence of a potentially dangerous and non-domestic animal, the animal has to be senselessly slaughtered when the inevitable happens?

I'm no animal expert but even I know a 'tame' leopard can lash out without warning.

What are these MORONS thinking? What do they expect? Seriously?

This beautiful creature was shot dead for their stupidity.

Stories like this make me so angry

Opinions?

uk.news.yahoo.com
edit on 17-3-2011 by doobydoll because: correction

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Clearly they kill the animal to teach it a lesson. I mean, after it is dead, doesn't that mean it can't kill again? Seems like common sense to me!

/sarcasm filter activated. Form of: BS!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll

Why is it that when humans are STUPID enough to be in the direct presence of a potentially dangerous and non-domestic animal, the animal has to be senselessly slaughtered when the inevitable happens?

I'm no animal expert but even I know a 'tame' leopard can lash out without warning.

Opinions?

uk.news.yahoo.com

I totally agree, I would not go near ANY animal like that unless it was at a zoo. Perfect example of a darwin award winner right there. Anyone remember the incident years back actually at a zoo, where those punks were taunting this lion/tiger and it got out of its pit and killed 2 of them.

Deebo
edit on 17-3-2011 by Deebo because: To add

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
A lady gets a lion cub and raises it to full maturity. At some point in its adult life something triggers it carnivore nature and it attacks the lady. The animal is to blame for senselessly killing a human and shot dead.

A famous animal trainer has a white tiger that he has kept and trained from a cub. In its adulthood, its carnivore nature is triggered and it attacks the human. The animal is to blame for seriously injuring the human and has to be put down.

I could go on and you can look up hundreds of stories like these all over the web.

Dogs are domesticated because humans spent thousands of years breeding a dependency into them, however the Canus family at large is not domestic and will attack when provoked.
Cats are domesticated for the same reason, but Feline at large is one of the most dangerous families on the planet.
The same goes for elephants, horses, fish and birds.

Humans take for granted that all of these creatures do still have the genetic coding in them to be wild and free. They have in them the desire to hunt and kill, as is evident in cats stalking during play and how dogs fight over territory. Wild cats such as tigers and lions (tigons and ligers as well) and wolves have not been bred into captivity long enough to develop a domestic dependency and bond with humanity. At some point, no matter the upbringing or time spent, the animal is going to snap. Instictively, it knows something is not right.

I think a human who keeps these types of pets should have to sign some sort of federal waiver noting that they know they are getting a wild animal and when (not if) it attacks them, the animal should be taken to a sanctuary or reserve, rather than be killed. The human should have no rights or say in its fate from then on and rely only on their own financial or other ability to repair themselves from the wounds received.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
So they shot and killed the leopard for what leopards naturally do . Should have shot the film crew instead and let the leopard go . We have far too many dumb humans and far to few beautiful leopards . You can partially condition but not tame wild animals and when instinct kicks in conditioning goes out .

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Opinions?

I agree. These AIN'T house cats.

If you are stupid enough to treat them that way if they don't know you (and sometimes even if they do) then the cat is not at fault. Hell, even housecats will sometimes claw or bite if they aren't feeling well or become agitated, no matter how sweet they are normally.

That woman made a conscious decision to put herself there in that place with that big cat. Shooting the cat is wrong. The cat probably felt it was just defending its territory from another female or had a toothache which spoiled its mood.

It wasn't the cat's decision to come in contact with this strange bunch of people it had never met before; it was the stupid humans.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Forgot to S & F.

Wow, everyone so far is in agreement that it wasn't right to shoot the cat

Poor thing.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo

Opinions?

uk.news.yahoo.com

I totally agree, I would not go near ANY animal like that unless it was at a zoo. Perfect example of a darwin award winner right there. Anyone remember the incident years back actually at a zoo, where those punks were taunting this lion/tiger and it got out of its pit and killed 2 of them.

Deebo
edit on 17-3-2011 by Deebo because: To add

I don't understand how it doesn't even occur to these people that just one playful swipe from these animals can be fatal. I mean, just look at the size of them!

It's tragic the leopard was shot dead, it didn't do anything wrong - they did.

I remembered what stand-up comic and actor Chris Rock once said when he heard news about a tiger which got loose in a mall, the news said the tiger went crazy and attacked people:

"The tiger didn't go crazy, the tiger just went tiger".

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
That woman made a conscious decision to put herself there in that place with that big cat. Shooting the cat is wrong. The cat probably felt it was just defending its territory from another female or had a toothache which spoiled its mood.
Maybe the leopard just didn't like her?

This animation is a little scary too:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/46d2fbf8adf9.gif[/atsimg]
The Lion could do that 364 days in a row, and then on day 365 it could have a toothache and decide to rip that person's head off, which it could probably do even from inside the cage.

I'm not sure that big cats can never be domesticated, it's possible but it would take generations and I don't think it will happen, they eat too much for most people to want them as pets.

Even domesticated animals like horses can kill people.

Girl kicked to death by her horse
At least they didn't kill the horse:

They placed Lauren on a drip and put her in a neck brace but she died on her way to the Queen Margaret hospital in Dunfermline, Fife.

The schoolgirl had been given the horse almost a year ago as a present. for her 16th birthday .

Yesterday, Lauren's family said Solo would not be destroyed but will be looked after by her aunt Louise Tait, who runs the stables.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Yea I heard Joe Rogan do this bit about a Tiger getting loose and killing a guy. It's a morbid subject but so true. These cats are doing what they do best. Kill.

If you have enough patience to wait through a commercial then check this out.

Joe Rogan Talking Monkeys in Space: Tigers

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Opinions?

If you are stupid enough to treat them that way if they don't know you (and sometimes even if they do) then the cat is not at fault. Hell, even housecats will sometimes claw or bite if they aren't feeling well or become agitated, no matter how sweet they are normally.

It wasn't the cat's decision to come in contact with this strange bunch of people it had never met before; it was the stupid humans.

GOOD FOR THEM is all I have to say. I feel more sorry for the leopard than I do for the lady. In fact, just think of what TELUS mobility is doing with zoo animals...using them for marketing purposes. The leopard was sick to be held in captivity. The lady didn't have to die. I hope that crew is fired and banned from any future films involving animals.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
This is just vile... I completely agree with the OP. These people are complete idiots.

Hmm... This got me thinking; *licks lips* I wonder what leopard tastes like...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Poor lady and poor leopard. Wild animals are really NEVER tame. Heck even my little house cat is wild enough that I would not want to own him if he were the size of a leopard or a lion. I love him, but he is cranky enough that if he were bigger, he might do some damage to someone.

I love animals and I think big cats are gorgeous. But they are wild very dangerous predators, and they really should not be mingled with random people. Ever.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Absolutely right. I would not want to own a HOUSECAT the size of a leopard. Even domesticated cats if frightened or angry enough "lose it" and will bite the holy hell out of you. And they all have different temperaments too. A pissy housecat the size of a lion would be insanely dangerous. Lol.

new topics

top topics

join