It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING : UN Security Council authorizes no-fly zone over Libya

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
So why aren't we getting involved in places like Zimbabwe but we are getting involved in places like Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya - one answer

Oil

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by blackcat99

One phrase for you on that question "To the victor go the spoils". May the mightiest side win! lol lol lol

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcat99
So why aren't we getting involved in places like Zimbabwe but we are getting involved in places like Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya - one answer

Oil

Afghanistan has a pipeline going through it but no developed oil fields.

Iraq almost no development contracts for the US as far as oil is concerned.

The US is not the one taking the lead in Libya. The Brits, the French, and
the Arab League are.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by IsraeliGuy

I agree. Too many people post here without facts but with a lot of bias against the US for no apparent reason. Here we're getting ready to save thousands of civilian lives and some posters think this is bad. This will not add to US debt, the military budget is paid to run every year regardless of what they do, this may as well be a training exercise for them but it's real so it's even better. This year the return on investment on maintaining the military will be freedom for Libya. Hell yeah.

Some people are suggesting we bomb Bahrain too. Are you delusional? Bahrain and Libya don't even compare right now not to mention the Saudis are an important ally due to their Oil. This is how the world is so let's be real. We're not going to attack the Saudis, lose them as an ally and drive the price of Oil up damaging our economy in the process because a few people got killed in Bahrain. It doesn't work like that newbies.
edit on 18-3-2011 by JohnnyWarbucks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
As much as some will take a pop at America, a no fly zone is going to be impossible without US support, even if they don't lead the attack their logistics and expertise will be essential.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

US and everyone who will sends plane there is invading sovereign country ..period ... and by helping other countries ..another loooooooooool ..... we all see how you helped Iraq and Afghanistan ..they are now free developing democratic societes
and with bombarding Serbia with depleted uranium now cancer there is common like a flu .... cold bloody murderers i would say

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Hyperbole, insults, name calling.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Why in gods name would you renounce your citizenship... you can launch a rebel uprising, completely illegal, and against your own government and laws, and if the big nasty army comes to quash your rebellion/large scale riots then the big friendly UN will help you.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Hyperbole, insults, name calling.

No.No. calling the US goverment

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBogmonster
Look people wanting the removal of this tyrant are DYING!!!!

the USA have been complicit in many many invasion & overthrows over the years (as has the UK) so either way some nutball will attempt to attack you and us for that - if you take the view that it's their business and Gadf should be allowed to slaughter his own people then you should be ashamed of yourself.

there are very few recent military actions that can be properly justified (Iraq, Afghan etc were obviously illegal) but this is NOT about us, it's about people trying to defend their rights and freedoms. I was under the impression that was what your whole constitution was about!

I hate to quote Woody H, but "it's time to Nut Up or Shut Up!"
Iraq was about wanting to defend their rights too. The line between isn't clear.

If you hit rewind there were plenty of americans wanting to give democracy to iraq.
edit on 18-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Someone in the commons just asked if we should develop a foreign policy which would mean we would be involved in other countries where there are attacks on civilian populations e.g. Bahrain, Yemen, Oman etc as we could be involved with Libya for some time to come

And the prime minister turned round and said just because you can't do the right thing everywhere doesn't mean you can't do it somewhere.....

That is the lamest excuse ever
edit on 18-3-2011 by blackcat99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Update 12:34 According to Cameron 'no-fly zone saves lives. "The British government will later today with a list of requirements that must meet Gaddafi.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
We have to be careful, though. Sometimes military action is right.

History will tell whether this is just about violence against protesters or not.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I didn't mention anything against the US, I am talking about why is the British government getting involved in things like this *again*, sounds very much like Iraq, as in the amount of resources we are going to need to put to this will grow and grow.

My point is against the British government not against the American one - not everyone is out to get the americans

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

cold bloody murderers i would say

Well you might say but others don't see it that way. The Western world should be applauded for their miraculous work in these third world nations, relieving them of pain and their dictators! The "Western World" are all heroes for their efforts to relieve the innocent Libyans from this oppressive dictators. t does not matter what the "Tin Foil Brigade" think on the issue ....... Who Cares!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
This is insane, who's to pay the bill? We're all broke, the country cant make up its own mind, so who are we to impose democracy/invade?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcat99
Someone in the commons just asked if we should develop a foreign policy which would mean we would be involved in other countries where there are attacks on civilian populations e.g. Bahrain, Yemen, Oman etc as we could be involved with Libya for some time to come

And the prime minister turned round and said just because you can't do the right thing everywhere doesn't mean you can't do it somewhere.....

That is the lamest excuse ever
edit on 18-3-2011 by blackcat99 because: (no reason given)

Well you can be sure there will be no military action or no fly zones over Bahrain or Saudi Arabia. Balancing peoples freedoms and oil supply is a tricky business.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I notice the expressions on Nick Clegg and William Hagues faces say a lot as well , very dour

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Trelane

Yep I would also want to know where all this money is coming from when our government is cutting back left right and center

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Ok then, let's look at the assertions in your post:

Originally posted by xavi1000

US and everyone who will sends plane there is invading sovereign country ..period ... and by helping other countries ..another loooooooooool ..... we all see how you helped Iraq and Afghanistan ..they are now free developing democratic societes
and with bombarding Serbia with depleted uranium now cancer there is common like a flu .... cold bloody murderers i would say

Invasions require the destruction of military assets, and an occupying ground force. This is not happening and won't be happening. The US isn't even taking the lead on this, they are providing logistical support and intelligence. So no, NOT period.

Iraq was most certainly a mistake.

Afghanistan was, in my opinion, retaliation for an act of war supported by the Taliban. We've been there a long time trying to rebuild a country destroyed by decades of war, that too is a mistake. We should have bombed the crap out of the Taliban, capture bin Laden while we were in Tora Bora right next to him damned near and came home. That didn't happen because JSOC and the political establishment believe that nation building is good PR. It isn't.

No one has EVER use DU as a bomb. NO ONE.

DU doesn't cause anymore cancer than does lead. If you breath the particulates in after DU munitions have been fired, yes I can see that. But DU is currently only used as anti armor munitions. Cancer rates are affected by many things in war torn regions. Pollution due to hydrocarbons seeping into the ground, contaminated water because water reclamation and other infrastructure has been destroyed or disabled, and a whole host of other things.

You have any green glass in the house? How about orange ceramic dishes? That's DU.

How about getting your facts straight before making ridiculous claims. All emotion and reactionary BS based on anti-US propaganda.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join