It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING : UN Security Council authorizes no-fly zone over Libya

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
On Sky News TV Libya has just closed its airspace to all traffic - how will that work now

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Indulge me, it's four in the morning and I can't sleep with this horrible news. I am having a daydream that the AF will turn those planes around boys, and do some kind of cleansing exercise on Wall Street and then fly inland and dropkick something that will wipe out each and every Fema camp. I hope the military will learn to see that the master it serves does not always represent the people. Anyhow, wishing you Godspeed and a quick aboutface.

So here's my take on this UN decision. While the world is focused on Libya, .
Israel has suddenly stopped yelling at the world to bomb Iran. And do not ask me for proof of this yelling, because it's been its only cry for a long while now.

Libya and Iran may not be bosom buddies, but the've dropped by for coffee on occasion in the recent past.
"IF" what Russia says is true, then there may be a strategy going on to induce Libya to launch something into the Mediterraneam (and intercept it of course). At that point what would it take for Iran to get involved? With the world focussed on the Mediterraneam, all the US has to do is visit Iran from Afghanistan, and, well you fill in the blanks.

But back to the initial article of this thread, didn't Libya's foreign minister offer to negotiate? Since when does war pre-empt one very strict final chance regardless of UN decision?

Asian Times Libya/Iran

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JerryB08

It wouldn't get with in 150 miles of one the US Navy's super carriers

Umm, guess you missed this then? Chinese Surprise
edit on 18-3-2011 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Did anybody notice the very modern looking Chinese Missile cruiser off the Libyan coast? It looked like a knock off of an Aegis class US cruiser. Fox news stated it's the first Chinese warship ever to be in the Med Sea.

You said it right. The Chinese are the knock-off masters of all time?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by blackcat99

With my last post link and if what sky news is reporting is true, it looks like Gadaffi may of backed down and gave up.....possibly. The guy is insane so its kind of a guessing game at the moment.

Its near noon in Tripoli right now so we have a couple of hours of waiting time to see if Gadaffi will still strike Benghazi. If he does, I would think the UN ceasefire will then be compromised.

If the UN does strike soon, I would think they would do it under the cover of night, and now that is about 10 hours from now. Just my opinion at the moment.

Edit - Just to add, Al Jazeera is saying France was the one to say action could happen "within hours" and the US and UK said Sunday was the earliest possibility of action.
edit on 18-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

IMO the main weakness in the US military is the fact that it is spread around the globe..
How much can one nation hope to control ?

If the majority of US forces pulled back to US shores, I doubt anyone would dare touch them..
Isn't that what a DEFENSE force is for anyway ?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

You said it right. The Chinese are the knock-off masters of all time?

Well maybe they studied the US..
Operation Paperclip anyone ?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
reply to post by projectvxn

Maybe not, but once Gadaffi is gone, wait and see which major U.S corporations move in on the oil. Christ, B.P can't wait to get back there, but as sure as eggs are eggs, the U.S oil companies will follow. Hi Exxon, I'm B.P, let's screw this country as hard as we can!

BP is Rothschilds, and it looks like UKs Shell and Malaysia Petronus and China got the contracts to develop oil in Iraq. Interesting isnt it. news.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 18-3-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Considering they have said they want to negotiate with the UN why are they currently attacking Misratah with heavy weapons (according to Sky News TV)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
And the rockets red glare... Here we go...

Deebo

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
The no fly zone will be forced within days not hours. there will ask not politey "hey gadaffi ground your air force please if ya dont mind" lol. uk french and u.s will wipe out his air units and anti aa units. it takes planning and time. And stop flapping people ffs just sit back and enjoy the fire works lol

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

I watched a TV interview with some of them.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Freaking disgusting - the double standards applied by America. A no-fly zone for Libya, whereas the evil Saudis are given the green light to aggressively deal with protests in Bahrain. All we get is silence from the US, no word of criticism.

I assume that the US decides what nation needs democracy and which one doesn't. After all, until a few weeks ago, Egypt had no need for democracy and Mubarak was a favorite puppet of the US government.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I just don't see why they can't set up some mobile SAM sites first, few ground units with stingers scattered around.. THEN bomb if all else fails. This is stupid.

Deebo
edit on 18-3-2011 by Deebo because: add

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by JerryB08
Everybody always forgets Canada and UM THE ARAB LEAGUE??? what about them they seem to have the most to gain or lose. And then there are the brave Libyan people. They are also involved... are they not?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
The US secretary of defense said that to impose a no fly zone , means taking out their air control , SAM sites , and such , which means a full scale air force stirke , to destroy Libyas air defense systems and surface to air missles.

So that means invading an sovereign country !
that means WAR

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
guys let me make a few comments :-

Firstly I've seen a lot of comments from Americans about how this UN resolution enables the invasion of Libya - quite simply NO IT DOESN'T! it expressly forbids any invading force on Libyan soil.

Secondly for the last couple of weeks all that has been heard from the American government is harsh words, it's taken France and us (the UK) to push to get this resolution even drafted and now authorised - the fact the the Chinese & the Russians abstained shows everyone that something HAD to be done (both countries have a long standing policy of vetoing ANY resolution involving military action on foreign soil)

And a little comment to the guys comment very early on in this thread about watching the Raptors go in, it isn't going to happen matey! Tornado, Rafales & Typhoons will be doing the work (there is currently refusal from the US government to commit air power, wonder why that is).

And finally to clear up this "a no fly zone is an act of war in itself" crap - rubbish! a no fly zone is a protection envronment, if Mad Gadf is smart he'll stop his forces on the road, the first aircraft from the UK were deploying last night via Cyprus (not conjecture - I'm forces myself so I can confirm that).

Even if he stops his forces, the resolution allows for destruction of forces deemed potentially lethal to the rebels. His entire airforce (30+ servicable aircraft at best, maybe 50+ helicopters) will not last long against Rafales & Typhoons and the Tornados will make short work of ground units as they've been doing in Afghan & Irag since I was there in '91.

So people stop this rubbish about invading Libya under the cover of the events in Japan - the simple fact is this no fly zone should have been active 2 weeks ago - and unfortunately the likes of the USA and Germany have been actively hindering the process because of general fear about what may be revelaed is Mad Gadf falls.

The people of Libya deserve the chance to fight their own battle with Gadf, removing his airpower etc is levelling the playing field.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Yay more of the same old crap, of people sticking their nose into the business of other countries... How long until the world gets fed up with it? How long until some retaliation is attemped on american soil? How long until american civilians really start paying for their government's bullying? I wish the brass would grow some brains and balls, and declare war on the real enemies of the people....

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Sorry, but it's not the US's playing field to level.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Look people wanting the removal of this tyrant are DYING!!!!

the USA have been complicit in many many invasion & overthrows over the years (as has the UK) so either way some nutball will attempt to attack you and us for that - if you take the view that it's their business and Gadf should be allowed to slaughter his own people then you should be ashamed of yourself.

there are very few recent military actions that can be properly justified (Iraq, Afghan etc were obviously illegal) but this is NOT about us, it's about people trying to defend their rights and freedoms. I was under the impression that was what your whole constitution was about!

I hate to quote Woody H, but "it's time to Nut Up or Shut Up!"

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join