It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING : UN Security Council authorizes no-fly zone over Libya

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Interesting how this pattern seems to emerge when it comes to dictators, Father, 2 sons... Just like in Iraq.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

Healthcare, pensions and welfare take up half though.

FYI www.warresisters.org...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I am ashamed as an American that we fight some third world country without a modern military. We need to pick on someone our own size. I am a man dammit, I love my country, but my country needs to act like a man and pick a fight with Russia, china and GB all at the same time for it to be interesting. We should be ashamed...its like a tank vs a Hyundai.

If it was a modern war we would be seeing body bags by the plane full coming, even a possibility of a carrier loss. state of the art SAM systems...but noo..we have to pick on some third world rag tag African country with a lot of oil...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
reply to post by trollz

the same could be said about insurgents in iraq and afghanistan or else there is some huge hypocrisy going on

You're right, and there is.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
So what are they waiting for?
It's been like 7 hours from when they said it would start in a couple of hours..

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
I am ashamed as an American that we fight some third world country without a modern military. We need to pick on someone our own size. I am a man dammit, I love my country, but my country needs to act like a man and pick a fight with Russia, china and GB all at the same time for it to be interesting. We should be ashamed...its like a tank vs a Hyundai.

If it was a modern war we would be seeing body bags by the plane full coming, even a possibility of a carrier loss. state of the art SAM systems...but noo..we have to pick on some third world rag tag African country with a lot of oil...

I'm thinking that might happen one day. China and Russia conduct joint military exercises. For what reason do you think they are conducting them for? It's all about controlling the global energy trade, and China and Russia eventually want to own it all.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Fiscal Year 2011
www.usgovernmentspending.com...

Note they include the VA budget and foreign military aid from the State Dept with the DOD Budget. Totalling in at $964 bilion. Thats still not half.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by JerryB08
Have you even considered the person your talking to may live in Iraq or even Libya? This an International forum. The Iraqi people you are suggesting would prefer to have Saddam insane and his torture chambers back and up and running? I'd love to see your source?

Listen, go back to school and learn to read. I'm not for one moment suggesting the Iraq people would prefer Sadam. What I said was the exact opposite. The Iraq people, in their support for Husseins removal, invited onto themselfs a brutal war and sold their country to the highest bidder.

Why not look now at the facts. Most Iraqis absolutely would turn back time and not have foreign intervention.

And years down the line the Libyans fighting Ghadaffi will be of the same opinion.

IT'S A CIVIL WAR! We have no business being there. Take a step back and ask yourself if you think the British, French and American government care about Democracy in Libya, or care about control of Libya. It's obvious what's happening.

You're cutting off your nose to spite your face, you war monger.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Really I was not aware of sino-ruskie joint exercies. Hmm, it will be difficult for them against US systems, we excel in computers and information technology, which could be our weakpoint as well. The Russians are better at missiles.

Yea but seriously this is getting old. First IraK, then Afghanistaliban, and now Libya, where is it gonna stop...all it takes is one major upset, a kicker to get a major war started. What would happen if all of a sudden the North Korean peninsula erupted into conflict, it would then be a 4 front war and I haven't seen any awesome commanders or tacticians or logistics people.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

we excel in computers and information technology

And most of our comps are made in china..

edit on 18-3-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

True, but still the point is that if we start a war in Libya, we may be able to handle it but what if some war started that used a modern military. What if the NK peninsula erupted and was backed by china, what if the Iran war erupts and is funded by closed dealings. Can we handle a multifront war. This is an enemies dream. They can bog the US down in a major modern battle.

For instance in a scenario...lets say we are fighting 3 battles...all of a sudden NK or Iran sends 50 missles towards a carrier and sinks it starting another war. We are already down a carrier, fighting a 3 front war and now begins a 4th one. They then bomb US air bases with missles, chemical weapons who knows. You attack all food and fuel ships, launch millions of aluminum reflectors in the sky and confuse all US radars and keep lobbing missles at supply ships, it could get ugly fast...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Breaking News Sky ( sorry no link as live on tv) Military action within hours " Coming from France" including the French Military. Now its going to get interesting and worrying how will other countries react? Oh and against the no fly zone Russia China Germany and Brazil. I have a horrible feeling about all this hope we are not witnessing the start of WW3
edit on 18-3-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37
Breaking News Sky ( sorry no link as live on tv) Military action within hours " Coming from France" including the French Military. Now its going to get interesting and worrying how will other countries react?
edit on 18-3-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

The French? Are they already surrendering?

Sorry, couldn't resist a french joke.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I just saw this a few minutes ago. Looks like there may be a ceasfire.

Libya condemns ‘aggression’ but hints at ceasefire

Libya has brushed off the UN resolution. At a news conference in Tripoli, the deputy foreign minister Khaled Kaim said the country would deal positively with it, and he thanked nations who abstained from the vote.

He said Libya had offered a ceasefire, saying it could happen immediately – although the “technicalities” he said would need to be worked out with the UN.

The government’s intention, and that of the police and armed forces, was the protection of civilians everywhere in the country, he insisted.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsraeliGuy
WTF is the problem with you people? Gaddafi threatens to bomb his own citizens for heavens sake.

The funniest thing is if he indeed scrambles his warplanes and massacres his own people, you lot will say "yeah it's their business and we shouldn't bother them".
You guys don't care the slightest for people's lives, you only care about the fact that the oh-so-hated-US is involved.

Gaddafi threatens to bomb rebels that are trying to take him down. Not the whole country as you said.

Gaddafi would say that he's trying to keep the country in peace or something. I'm sure the US killed a lot more than him with their bombings.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

That I can believe, they know they've gone too far and are in for a pasting.Gaddafi will be wanting to get out of this as the reality of being wiped off the face of the earth sinks in.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Everyone is arriving at Downing Street for an emergency cabinet meeting over Libya - so looks as though things yet to be decided here in the UK

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
So, they'll remove Gaddaffi's ability to use airpower, but this seems a bit late in the day as his mercenary backed ground forces ahev made ground using airpower to do so up to now.
If he does take back the ground and slaughter the rebels, well I guess it'll be back to business as usual then?
I did see a couple of reports about 2 weeks ago stating that one of his sons had made a trip to Israel and that an Israeli company was indeed procuring the mercenaries fighting for Gaddaffi. Not seen that mentioned in the MSM, but that is hardly surprising if true. After all, they did fly in armaments for Mubarak to use on the Egyptian people!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
And in respect to the UK we don't have any air force left as they just made a good proportion of the air force redundant (using text messages!!!)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
So do you think NATO will also enforce a no-fly zone over Bahrain when they start attacking their citizens?

Or is it just for dictators who are not total puppets?

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join