It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING : UN Security Council authorizes no-fly zone over Libya

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
Can someone please tell me WHY THE HELL we would do this when our country is completely broke...and at the same time there are sweeping cuts to social programs all across the country...and at the same time we extended bush tax cuts....

So what do we do next?

START ANOTHER WAR!!

Great solution!

I swear to god everything that happens anymore is nothing but destructive.

Oil spills, earthquakes, wars, huge deficits, corrupted governments, major wealth disparity, crazy weather, inflation, nuclear plant explosions, massive hurricanes, tsunami's.

The people on this planet have been taking an absolute beating in just the last 3 years alone.

MERCY!!!!! UNCLE!!!!!

edit on 17-3-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

So oil men can rob us even more with out of sight manipulated energy prices.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkey53
Lolol, Canada are going to send Warplanes according to Sky News, do they have any over there? Can just imagine the Pilots saying "Over and oot"!

Anyway, I reckon it will all be over in 24 hours.

There will be a barrage of Tomahawk Cruise Missiles going into Gadaffi's Buildings, Runways and his Army etc.

Fired from the US Submarine and it's ships just off the Libyan Coast.

Then the UK's Eurofighter's will patrol the skies to finish the job off.

I've just been out to get the beers in to watch, cool..!

No...Canada is just going to send imaginary fighters! what is wrong with you???

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

Its called NATO intervention.

We have been through this rodeo before in Bosnia and Kosovo.

edit on 17/3/11 by MikeboydUS because: s

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Well, couldnt happen to a nicer guy.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Us, and them
And after all were only ordinary men.
Me, and you.
God only knows it's not what we would choose to do.
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died.
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.
Black and blue
And who knows which is which and who is who.
Up and down.
But in the end it's only round and round.
Haven't you heard it's a battle of words
The poster bearer cried.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

I mean, they're not gunna kill ya, so if you give em a quick short,
Sharp, shock, they wont do it again. dig it? I mean he get off
Lightly, cos I wouldve given him a thrashing - I only hit him once!
It was only a difference of opinion, but really...i mean good manners
Don't cost nothing do they, eh?

Down and out
It can't be helped but there's a lot of it about.
With, without.
And wholl deny it's what the fightings all about?
Out of the way, it's a busy day
Ive got things on my mind.
For the want of the price of tea and a slice
The old man died.

Pink Floyd - Us & Them

edit on 17-3-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
And Minkey boy might want to reflect upon "The bravery of being out of range" when sucking back the beer!!!

People will die whilst your brain numbs itself...Not all of them BAD GUYS!!!
edit on 17-3-2011 by minkmouse because: spelling don't ya know!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
This absolutely has to be coordinated with the African Union, the Arab League, NATO, and the UN.

The question is whether the US has the ability to only impose a no-fly zone, and when all is done, get completely out of the country.... Or, like a junkie after a fix, will the US establish a permanent presence in Libya once Qaddaffi is out of the picture?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by aCurious1
This absolutely has to be coordinated with the African Union, the Arab League, NATO, and the UN.

The question is whether the US has the ability to only impose a no-fly zone, and when all is done, get completely out of the country.... Or, like a junkie after a fix, will the US establish a permanent presence in Libya once Qaddaffi is out of the picture?

It is being coordinated with the UN, NATO and the Arab League.

It is a joint NATO-Arab League operation, not a US operation.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
So...a few thousand people rise up against leadership.. leadership tries to put them "back in their place" and suddenly U.S. led forces are authorized to help these people overthrow their country leadership? We are going to be very busy and, possibly go bankrupt, if this is the way the United States continues to handle internal uprisings in other nations.

On 3/15/2011 Secretary-of-State Hillary Clinton said that the U.S. "Will Not Tolerate" the actions that Bahrain's government is taking against its citizens who oppose that country's leadership. I guess Bahrain is next for a no-fly zone??? Then Syria, South Korea, China, etc?

It's too bad our United States government leaders don't put the same zeal into improving the lives of its own people!

-cwm

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

Actually one of things thats helping to bankrupt the US is the "help" for the people.

The DOD budget for 2011 is around $700 billion

The entire 2011 budget is $3.8 trillion

Healthcare costs were over $800 billion. Pensions were over $700 billion. $400 billion on welfare.

edit on 18/3/11 by MikeboydUS because: $

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Its called NATO intervention.

We have been through this rodeo before in Bosnia and Kosovo.

edit on 17/3/11 by MikeboydUS because: s

Another, protracted civil war. This one will only serve to allow speculators, cough, energy producer's capital, clear throat, to manipulate oil price up even further beyond the realm of true supply and demand pressures because we don't have any "position limits" imposed on the N.Y. Merc anymore.

Note: www.thenation.com...

Tell Obama to appoint someone this June that will vote to impose position limits.

Western intel actively works to destabilize the Middle East in order to create excuses for manipulating up oil futures.

STOP THE INDUSTRIAL WAR COMPLEX /slash/ OIL PRICE MANIPULATION RACKET THAT IS PUTTING US ALL INTO THE POORHOUSE!

TELL THE PRESIDENT AND CONGRESS "NO MORE. WE ARE WISING UP TO THE SCHEME THAT"S BEEN MINING OUR POCKETS FOR YEARS NOW."

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
If ANYTHING good can come out of this. The UN today became almost relevant. Was I the only one who noticed that the only countries to no vote for this no fly zone bomb Libya vote were the countries that have a history of murdering their own people.

On another note how are they going to be able to tell a rebel from a pro Quackdofi fighter. When that precision guided bomb is dropped. The US will be using Raptors out of Langley AFB in VA. I hear.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by carewemust

Actually one of things thats helping to bankrupt the US is the "help" for the people.

The DOD budget for 2011 is around $700 billion

The entire 2011 budget is $3.8 trillion

Healthcare costs were over $800 billion. Pensions were over $700 billion. $400 billion on welfare.

edit on 18/3/11 by MikeboydUS because: $

DoD takes up nearly half of the budget. Add the black budget to it, and it's over half. Nothing else comes close. Your figures are skewed.

It's madness!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by JerryB08
If ANYTHING good can come out of this. The UN today became almost relevant. Was I the only one who noticed that the only countries to no vote for this no fly zone bomb Libya vote were the countries that have a history of murdering their own people.

On another note how are they going to be able to tell a rebel from a pro Quackdofi fighter. When that precision guided bomb is dropped. The US will be using Raptors out of Langley AFB in VA. I hear.

Both the rebels and Libyan forces use the same hardware. There is no way to differentiate who is who. Triple A etc.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

I'm curious what is your credible source on the DOD taking up half the budget?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

$3.8 trillion total for 2011

DOD is over $700 billion. That is not half.

Half would be $1.9 trillion

Healthcare, pensions and welfare take up half though.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by NNEECE
Originally posted by Discover
reply to post by NNEECE

Chine does indeed have an airforce and they have been spending a crap load of cash on new arms..

Sorry, they are one of the few known so called 'super powers' that claim to not have nor want an air defense team. They are spending little money on new arms but nothing air borne for defense or attack.

edit on 17-3-2011 by NNEECE because: (no reason given)

Red China alert: China unveils new stealth fighter
Posted by Staff
The Wall Street Journal reports:
January 5, 2011
Red China alert: China unveils new stealth fighter
The first clear pictures of what appears to be a Chinese stealth fighter prototype have been published online, highlighting China's military buildup just days before U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates heads to Beijing to try to repair defense ties. The photographs, published on several unofficial Chinese and foreign defense-related websites, appear to show a J-20 prototype making a high-speed taxi test—usually one of the last steps before an aircraft makes its first flight—according to experts on aviation and China's military. The exact origin of the photographs is unclear, although they appear to have been taken by Chinese enthusiasts from the grounds of or around the Chengdu Aircraft Design Institute in western China, where the J-20 is in development. A few experts have suggested that the pictured aircraft is a mock-up, rather than a functioning prototype of a stealth fighter—so-called because it is designed to evade detection by radar and infrared sensors. But many more experts say they believe the pictures and the aircraft are authentic, giving the strongest indication yet that Beijing is making faster-than-expected progress in developing a rival to the U.S. F-22—the world's only fully operational stealth fighter. China's defense ministry and air force couldn't be reached to comment on the latest photos. Even without official confirmation, however, the photographs are likely to bolster concerns among U.S. officials and politicians about China's military modernization, which also includes the imminent deployment of its first aircraft carrier and "carrier-killer" antiship ballistic missiles.

Just sayin'...

www.lauraingraham.com...:-China-unveils-new-stealth-fighter/-43996324354015128.html
edit on 18-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I'm being told Via CNN FOX we can't pass a budget because of the criminals in Washington DC that call themselves politicians working for the people. Which is a Joke. What they are agreeing on is a reduced DOD Bill for the year. As China and Russian and India Ramp up their Military's

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

That's an act of war - another war, just what this world needs

2nd line

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by NNEECE

...and we as Americans are looked to to make stands and defend honor and be the first to serve. Sometimes it is in our best interest and sometimes it isn't but we do what we can! Freedom is earned.

Noble sentiments, and if current wars were fought with honor, one might agree.

However, just look at the so-called 'freedom' Iraq obtained: Depleted uranium is still killing and maiming the population, the same liberated people who, years after that contrived occupation began, still do not have electricity, etc..and who are now saying on TV that Saddam would be preferable.

That war involved spitting and stomping on the Geneva Convention, (I still am clearly able to picture Donald Rumsfeld replying to this) the US Constitution, removing habeus corpus, removing the freedom of citizens in other countries by kidnappings and torturing in extraordinary renditions from all over the planet, opting out of The International Criminal Court agreement. I could go on.

War history has been re-written and redefined. It has not tipped the scale on the side of honor, nor good.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join