It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: Eiffel Tower Evacuated After False Bomb Threat

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
It is called freedom of speech, whether it agrees with you or not they have a right to their opinions.

My view is that the French reacted properly to this threat and did what it could to prevent the harm to thousands of people.

Do I hate the French people? No

Do I disagree with alot of the French governments policies? Yes

This thread does not put a bad light on ATS, it just shows that there a lot of different opinions here and people feel free to express themselves.....

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by shoo

Originally posted by Leveller
While France was decrying the invasion of Iraq, it was busy passing laws which strengthen it's position as a secular state - eg. the banning of religious dress and imagery.

And becoming a secular country is bad? Or what's your point?

Did I say it was bad? Read my post again.
I'm stating that France could be a victim of terrorism because it is viewed by extremists as being bad.
I'm stating that Iraq has nothing to do with France being a target but that it could be singled out for other reasons.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
It is called freedom of speech, whether it agrees with you or not they have a right to their opinions.

Technically, you're wrong.

This is the internet, you have no freedom of speech, what you have is the oppurtunity to express yourself in a fashion that is not derogatory to other nations or cultures.

I'm sure warnings will be handed out like candy if the slurs against other countries continue. Consider this a warning to all.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Yes its bad!

Ethic people had to abide by the french rules or none, if they didnt like and leave....! how neanderthol

We are all flesh and bone with different believes and life styles....we should pray to whom we like, when we like. We should wear what we like when we like, eat what we like when we like....etc.. etc.. etc...

So yes its...bad we should not descriminate in that way...but here in england/france and germany the rivalry is purely freindly and benign in its nature. its part of our heritage, and is not really meant. Its what we do...its banter...please do not read too much into it.....blair does it publicly as does cherac.... its the way we are....

Regards

Boon_Dog

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
no one wishes harm on anyone.....

or should i say we shouldnt do.....

Regards

Boondog...

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Can you say Lafayette???

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Technically, you're wrong.

This is the internet, you have no freedom of speech, what you have is the oppurtunity to express yourself in a fashion that is not derogatory to other nations or cultures.

I'm sure warnings will be handed out like candy if the slurs against other countries continue. Consider this a warning to all.

A warning?! You have got to be kidding, there is more country and culture bashing going on at this site it boggles the mind. Now because some folks tried to voice their feelings about France, it becomes taboo? I don't buy it and if you want to start issuing warnings, you had better plan on spending your time 24/7 on censoring these views because there are examples everywhere on ATS. Good Luck....

sp:edit

[edit on 21-7-2004 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
Did I say it was bad? Read my post again.

That's why I ask for a more detailed answer it wasn't totally clear until now.

"Consider this a warning to all."

That's idotic and if I get a warning for saying something is idiotic that actually is idiotic it's even stupid. Most people just asked for the reason of the extreme opinions of American citizens that posted here. No need and no sense in warning all. Even as a writer, mod, admin or whatever.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Just because theres alot of it doesn't make it ok.

I'm talking about extreme nationalism and xenophobic comments that will result in a warning, along with national and racial slurs. This is ATSNN, people will not be allowed to push their agenda like that.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'm fairly new here. Who is JacKatMtn? Why is he issuing warnings? I don't see moderator or anything under his name, just "member"

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
I'm fairly new here. Who is JacKatMtn? Why is he issuing warnings? I don't see moderator or anything under his name, just "member"

Well, its always good to meet a new member. Welcome to ATSNNN.

He's not a moderator, i think you misread his statement.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Discuss the issue. Please remember ATS terms & conditions .... no hate speech.

There are no warnable posts on this thread at this time. Let's keep it that way.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Hate speech is not protected by the Bill of Rights. Plus to degrade an entire group of people is just flat out bigotry.

Any time there is a bomb threat, anywhere through out the world, the proper reaction of the authorities is to clear the area, then check for explosives.

This was not the reaction of "chickens" it was the prudent reation.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The Eiffel Tower is the most recognizable landmark in Paris and is known worldwide as a symbol of France. Named after its designer, Gustave Eiffel, it is a premier tourist destination, with over 5.5 million visitors per year.

Read Tourist! This means many visitors of all Race, Religion and Citizenship/Nationality.

en.wikipedia.org...
Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Just because theres alot of it doesn't make it ok.

I'm talking about extreme nationalism and xenophobic comments that will result in a warning, along with national and racial slurs. This is ATSNN, people will not be allowed to push their agenda like that.

Nobody said that it was "OK", there are many examples of bad taste in threads here at ATS, it reflects on the poster and not on the site. From what you are saying is that ATSNN needs to censor these views so it's news page looks more "correct?"

I still don't buy that, the ability to voice your opinions no matter how far off they appear reflects only on the poster and not on the integrity of this news site. To censor views would only fall into what our regular news outlets already do with their left/right leanings, at least here you can hear all sides to a story.

I enjoy this website for exactly that reason, I want to hear all views on an issue not just what "someone" says I am allowed to say about a story.

I agree with the ATS policy against personal attacks banning ie. member against member, this does not add anything to a story,and also the criminal activities discussion ban ie. hackers, modifying weapons,etc., but going beyond that starts bordering on censorship and when/if ATS starts doing this it will be the beginning of the end of this wonderful site.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
The Eiffel Tower is the most recognizable landmark in Paris and is known worldwide as a symbol of France. Named after its designer, Gustave Eiffel, it is a premier tourist destination, with over 5.5 million visitors per year.

Read Tourist! This means many visitors of all Race, Religion and Citizenship/Nationality.

Sanc'.

True. But it is the symbol of France more than anything else.
Rather like the Statue of Liberty is to the US.

Any casualties caused would probably be a secondary consideration to any extremist group planning to attack it.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by Leveller]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Leveller, point taken.
But it still doesn't detract from the issue...where next?
Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
All I see is how not only our nations have become divided after US when into Iraq, not only that but the reality of the US policies and actions in the middle east has brought up to the rest of the world a sense of insecurity not nation is safe from attack from terrorist.

The sad thing is that anybody with nothing better to do will go around and make a call and instigates fear and chaos.

How depressing to leave like that everyday of your life thanks to Mr. War happy Bush.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
It is really really funny reading this threath. US people are saying the French goverment is over reacting. My god, you should watch your own country. With every major event or whatsoever your country talks already about terrorist treaths and makes everyone scared. If there is one country that is over reacting with almost everything then it is America.

The dicision of France was very correct and and wise. Let's not forget that all the terrorist treaths we have in Europe is a result of the stupid war which America started. I also hate my own Dutch goverment for taking part in this. But they always seem to follow America, don't know why. I don't hate America, infact I would die to live there, but I hate your goverment, especially Bush.

Yes, and i also support the French goverment. With all those foreign people, especialy Islamic and Moslim, which is ok, we have the right to protect our culture and language etc etc. If they want to live in a certain country they have to live by their rules. It's the same thing when I emigrate to America, I have to live by their rules.

Exucse my for my English and if my words are a bit violent. I dont mean it like that.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The sad thing is that anybody with nothing better to do will go around and make a call and instigates fear and chaos.
How depressing to leave like that everyday of your life thanks to Mr. War happy Bush.

Hi marg, you are spot on.

Sanc'.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join