It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: Eiffel Tower Evacuated After False Bomb Threat

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
A bomb threat was received by Eiffel Tower officials today which resulted in the evacuation of the popular landmark. An estimated 4,000 visitors were rushed from the tower within 40 minutes of receipt of the threat.
A search of all areas is underway. Information now released states that this threat was a hoax.

news.com.au
July 22, 2004

FRENCH authorities rushed thousands of tourists out of the Eiffel Tower in Paris today after receiving an anonymous warning of an undisclosed threat, the management of the Paris landmark said.

Around 4000 people were evacuated from the 324m high structure as a measure "of precaution and security" after "an anonymous message" was received, the company said in a statement.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Parisian landmark reopened late Wednesday afternoon after being closed for 2 hours. Tours and visits are continuing as normal.

Related News Links:
Reuters

[edit on 21-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
well, it is the french....what do you expect?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Suprised they didn't evacuate the whole city. And let me guess. There was a bomb threat but no bomb. If I go to Paris I could have all kinds of fun making prank calls. Just joking.

[edit on 7/21/2004 by cyberdude78]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Poetic, sad but poetic.

I never wish bad on anyone but if the worlds most spineless nation can't get it through their collective cheese eating head that appeasment is a failure then oh well...

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I am english and for some unknown reason i hate the french. Born into us i think, maybe have something to do with python's holy grail?

Seen the photos, tasted the wine .......but i still would not wish any of them to be hurt due to a terrorist cell. Besides there would likely be British and, US and other nationalties on site, not just french.

Hope its nothing serious.

Regards

Boon_Dog

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
All of you French bashers, have you fought in Iraq? Neither did France, now you have something in common. When the WTC was hit, Le Monde proclaimed, "We are all Americans" Would the New York Times do that if the Eiffel Tower was hit? I don't think so. Read some of these posts. Americans just don't have any class.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Crikey their good, its only the 21st and they are telling france whats happening tomorrow

and if I was any more blonde I wouldnt have noticed the post at the beginning

/me is stoopid

[edit on 21-7-2004 by Dreamengineer]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
For %*^& sake, can't we (not me) post a comment that does not imply, 'you deserved it'.
Sanc'.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Wow....I know I'm new, but I haven't ever seen anyone totally bashing whole people and nation so blatantly...a person, an idea I have seen...but not a whole nationality

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
All of you French bashers, have you fought in Iraq? Neither did France, now you have something in common. When the WTC was hit, Le Monde proclaimed, "We are all Americans" Would the New York Times do that if the Eiffel Tower was hit? I don't think so. Read some of these posts. Americans just don't have any class.

From a British point of view, disliking the French is part of our national tradition, much like US dislike of communism. Personally I see it more of old rivals thing. We'd miss them if they weren't there, but we like to take the opportunity to hurl a few verbal rotten tomatoes across the channel when we can! I don't think they mind at all.. the feeling's mutual, and it's all in good fun.

One a serious note, if they get a warning they were right to act.. just one of those things. It would take one heck of a bomb to do much damage to the tower though. It's something you have to see in real life to truly appreciate just how big it is..

[edit on 21-7-2004 by muppet]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Here here Muppet...

It (Eifell tower) is almost as well known as the twins themselves...were...

I think we all dislike the Germans as well.......equally as much....mainly cos they started it! (what ever IT was they started it)

Please do not ask me to prove it.

BoonDog

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Can anybody of the US citizens that posted here, tell me what's their intention of posting the trash they posted?

If an anonymous call would come to the Jersey City Police department they would evacuate the Statue of Liberty as well.
Same with every big attraction all around the world.

Waiting for your answers.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by shoo]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boon_Dog
Here here Muppet...

It (Eifell tower) is almost as well known as the twins themselves...were...

I think we all dislike the Germans as well.......equally as much....mainly cos they started it! (what ever IT was they started it)

Please do not ask me to prove it.

BoonDog

So explain to me, does this mean you guys do not anyone who is German or French?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by sublime4372
well, it is the french....what do you expect?

i am completely baffled by what you mean. they're french so... they evacuate the eiffel tower due to a bomb threat? sounds like common sense to me.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The French are no angels when it comes to creating animosity within religions. They're hated by the extremists just as much as the US is.

While France was decrying the invasion of Iraq, it was busy passing laws which strengthen it's position as a secular state - eg. the banning of religious dress and imagery. I'd have to say that the timing for these new laws seems pretty suspect to me. Whilst the rest of the world is diverted towards events in the Middle East (and events which France supposedly opposes) it's been quietly bringing in some of the most radical religious laws ever seen in the West.
Although it may not be a target because of events in Iraq, it nonetheless has earned it's hatred from the extremists through these actions.

link   
I am totally disgusted by the content of this thread. I am HIGHLY disappoitned in the people who are posting in a thread that is in regards to what could be a major tragedy. Filling it with this trash.

Bad form.

Refelcts badly on ATS as well. This is a NEWS thread. You're turning into a french bashing free for all.

Rediculous. I hope you all feel good slamming a nation of people. Good going!

Good reputation to start for ATSNN.

link   
Why is it somehow cool to bash the french? Perhaps I will recount the glorious victory of the American empire over 13,000 iraqi civilians. Not cowardly at all

It is a good thing they evacuated it, 4000 is alot of possible casualties.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I'd like to know the nationality of all who were evacuated.
Many, I bet.
Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I still want to know if they actually hate all people French and German? I'm confused by his whole thing. Maybe being Native American makes me a bit more sensitive to hate things, I dunno...but I would like an answer.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
While France was decrying the invasion of Iraq, it was busy passing laws which strengthen it's position as a secular state - eg. the banning of religious dress and imagery.

And becoming a secular country is bad? Or what's your point?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join