It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A novice to rival Nasa? Incredible images of colourful nebulae taken by an amateur in his backgarden

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

These astonishing images show psychedelic nebulae across the Milky Way

They might look like the latest images from a Nasa satellite, but the colourful pictures were actually taken by an amateur astronomer from his back garden.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f5c8bf5fd8c1.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2e557f40cbbf.jpg[/atsimg]

Surveyor Gordon Rogers spent tens of thousands of pounds building a state-of-the art observatory at his home in Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire.

Dailymai l Link

Wow,beautiful,i just stumbled upon this article and thought id share these amazing pictures with you guys because ive seen a couple of similar threads on ATS in the past with amateur astronomy pics which totally blew my mind!

EDIT:Some Similar Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 17/3/11 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Those pictures are really amazing.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
that's awesome!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Breathtaking! But i wouldn´t call him a amateur when he spends thousends of dollars for his new observatory ;-)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Is there a website where he is posting these images, are there more images of the like? It would be fascinating to see him debunking NASA's images! Good for him!

I think this is the guy: Gordon Rogers
edit on 17-3-2011 by TheEnlightenedOne because: To add link

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
He should point it towards the sun

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Yet people still think that with amateur astronomers like this out there, that the gov can still hide huge planets from us and doomsday 2nd suns.........

LoL i point out all the time that there are so many great amateurs out there, they can do just as good a job as some of these scientist.......

There is no planet x coming to smash us, or these masters of the commercial telescopes would have seen it by now

Beautiful pics!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
There is so much more out there than we can even imagine. Truly amazing images.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Wow! Those pics are amazing. That second one is incredible looking. Would definetly like to see some more of this guys work.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
They are amazing,

especially the second!

Star for sure

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
What a setup! After seeing that I don't think I'd refer to this guy as a novice!

I used to take pictures of galaxies but you need to be up a cliff in Arizona for those sort of things...

He's probably referring to light pollution, I've read where even the big observatories are having problems with it.

It's "amateurs" like this guy that have discovered most of the comets in our skies, too.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by lektrofellon

Star and flag for posting this breathtakingly amazing images from the amateur astronomer. We need more like him!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheEnlightenedOne

Thanks for the link!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Excerpt from link in OP:

Mr Rogers' love of astrophotography developed when he observed 'something dramatic on the moon' through a three-inch Zeiss refractor telescope he bought in a sale.

He said: 'Back in 1994, I observed something happening at the moon.

Wonder what he saw?????????????

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Excerpt from link in OP:

Mr Rogers' love of astrophotography developed when he observed 'something dramatic on the moon' through a three-inch Zeiss refractor telescope he bought in a sale.

He said: 'Back in 1994, I observed something happening at the moon.

Wonder what he saw?????????????

exactly, I was going to make a similar statement. wondering what he caught on the moon?
let's dig.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
just sent an email to mr. rogers about his moon experience.
will post any info I get.
p.s. couldn't edit my above post. thx iPad...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by zooplancton

Cool, so far I've found this picture on his site. Seems Mr. Rogers is a real swinger.

Perhaps we are thinking about the wrong type of moon.

ETA: Nice work.
Look forward to your reply.
edit on 17-3-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by verschickter
Breathtaking! But i wouldn´t call him a amateur when he spends thousends of dollars for his new observatory ;-)

Amateur means you're not paid to do it, you just do it because you enjoy it (it's a French term meaning "lover of"). Most serious amateur astronomers spend thousands of dollars on their equipment. Narrowband imaging is an exciting way to do astrophotography. It produces spectacular photos, in the Hubble palette of colors if desired, and allows you to completely block out light pollution so you can image from anywhere.

new topics

top topics

join