It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HAHAHA... Thats a good one man.! Where did you hear that???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Ok.... Just heard something today that made my head hurt. Wonder what you guys think of this..

The total rebuild and clean up cost for the Japanese tsunami and earthquake come to around 120 billion dollars. WOAH!!! Alot of cash right.... Now, the punch line?

The estimated cost of reimbursing Ireland failed banks and lenders.....???????

160 billion dollars and that's predicted to rise further to 180-200. What the hell is up with that? I mean, does that even make sense? Im no expert on economic monetary issues but that seems absolutely ridonculous. Anyone who's been to Ireland recently need only look around and ask where the hell that money went..

Ough...

(Possibly in wrong forum)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
thats true i wonder if theres anyone in irlend who will just go wait a minute theres something wrong here

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by nikkibee

Nope, as an Irish native. (And I love Ireland) The people here are brainwashed capitalist sheep. Ireland bought big into ''American Ideals'' it's not Ireland on the East coast. It may well be better off being called Little England. Its depressing to think about.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Wow, that's a lot less than I was expecting. I was thinking more along the lines of $500 billion. But then I tend to over-estimate because it looks better to come in under budget.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TuXXXeR

Simple.
Overinflated mortgages and lending by banks.
CEO bonuses
CEO pay cheques
Cost of welfare

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
i think that they just pluck a figure out of the air and spin it in the media.

i mean... who knows what costs they will have to pay after this problem in japan...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TuXXXeR

You got that right.The whole situation here stinks and it doesn't look to get better in the foreseeable future. The fact that they now have the taxpayers(the ones lucky enough to still have a job) paying back the money that the banks basically threw out to any developers that wanted it to build houses, hotels, office complexes etc. that are now lying empty because there wasn't the need for them in the first place is just criminal. And to top it all off, we are now stuck with a newly elected government that in my opinion will have no option but to abide by the terms of the agreement made for repayment of loans to the Irish state. No matter what promises and pledges they made during their campaign!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by martinthemartian
I think that they just pluck a figure out of the air and spin it in the media. I mean... who knows what costs they will have to pay after this problem in japan...

Bingo. You are correct sir. That number is complete hogwash and has absolutely nothing to do with Ireland? Isn't there a thread running right now talking about how people in the US are trying to make this crisis about themselves and now we're talking Irish bailout and its all because of US capitalism? Give me a break.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I think the OP is trying to make a comparison for the amount of MISSING BANK billions in Ireland, to the nuts and bolts costs of repairing Japan. That's fair enough, BTW the banks don't pay welfare in Ireland
and it is with great irony that it is the working folk in Ireland who are paying welfare to the banks in the form of a government tax levy on working citizens, the money of which goes to pay back the bailout to the banks. Although N. Ireland is not involved with the Eire directly, it is intrinsically linked. There are a lot of fat-cats strutting around Belfast as in Dublin, and out of dubious origins, but only a few heads have rolled. We even had a huge bank robbery of £26.5 million, (about $43m) + other currency, in Belfast in the middle of the city a few years ago, supposedly the money was for the IRA pension fund
That money was never recovered if it ever existed, Who knows?
edit on 17-3-2011 by smurfy because: text.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Great point OP - the U.S.'s annual military budget is about $600 BILLION - To rebuild half of japan is only going to cost about $120?

Shows you how little money we have and how much money the big bankers have. Either that, or somebody is grossly underestimating how much money it's truly going to cost to rebuild Japan.
edit on 17-3-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join