It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top lawmaker protests 'whistle-blower' demotion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Top lawmaker protests 'whistle-blower' demotion

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – The Department of Homeland Security demoted a senior career employee who confidentially complained to the agency's internal watchdog that political appointees were improperly interfering with requests for federal records by journalists and others.

The chairman of the House committee investigating those practices told the Obama administration that the decision "appeared to be an act of retaliation."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Daddybare just forwarded me this story..

Now I don't get it...
She goes to his bosses and complains about Politico trying to take short cuts in how they go about getting information and when she does they slap him down for it????

"Obstructing a congressional investigation is a crime," said GOP Rep. Darrell Issa of California, who leads the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee."

was the next quote but she wasn't Obstruction just bitching about not following the proper channels.

Well of course they say she wasn't really demoted but she did get moved to another department and someone else now has her old office and title

Makes my head hurt

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Yup
Janet Napolitano got a slap by Issa when he demanded she remind employees about their rights and whistle-blower protections, to make agency managers "aware of the consequences for retaliation against witnesses who furnish information to Congress."

As if that was ever going to happen

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The Federal Whistle Blower Law has no teeth in it. The person retaliated on has to sue with their own money to get any compensation and has to prove their loss to a court. The law says one thing and allows any of those who are in a position of power to retaliate with impunity! Of course their court costs are payed by the tax payers even if they loose!
Typical government BS. Do as I say and not complain or else!

Zindo

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This paradigm exists separately from political influence.

The fact that "by definition" whistleblowing requires a breach of protocol; makes it immediately subject to retaliation under that policy. Negative consequences are interestingly imposed on proper civic conduct, while those to the perpetrators are diluted. All because political expedience is valued over civic duty, good faith, and 'doing the right thing.'

The net result will be (and seems reasonable that it already has) that those operating within the halls of power will now resort to conspiratorial conduct to accomplish the goals they hold so politically important. "Getting away with it" is the game..... Catching them is discouraged if you want to be considered 'loyal' and 'trustworthy.'

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Really not sure if this charge by Issa has any teeth. Seems to me to be a way to shine some light on himself as "Van Helsing" the Obama slayer. I think he is well intentioned but the cases of fraud perpetrated by so many in our government are so blatant and bold he should be opening and shutting cases weekly. He gets bogged down because he himself has to operate in the bloated bureaucracy that is the Federal Government.

How can we trust bureaucrats to seek out and punish other bureaucrats. Their solution is to grow the government in order to watch over the government.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteRabit

It boils down to how the whistle blowing statutes work at the FEderal level. While local whistle blowers are protected under state laws, which have reltaliation clauses in them, some FEderal whistel blowing laws do not have such a clause.

Weird - yes..

Gimme some time to find the info for it. Its an intresting read and to an extent makes sense (not saying I agree with it though).

new topics

top topics

join