It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: UN to vote on "No Fly Zone" at 6EST

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

BREAKING: UN to vote on "No Fly Zone" at 6EST

The U.N. Security Council will vote on a Libya no-fly zone resolution at 2200 GMT Thursday, two diplomats tell CNN.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Time for Obama to get off the fence. Regardless of choice, Obama will be HIGHLY critisized; however that's part of his job.

I'd like to say just arm rebels and let them over throw their gov't themselves... but we saw how that turned out in Afghanistan in the 80's.

I believe they will implement a no-fly-zone, which will immediately detail miltary strikes against airports, military bases, AA batteries etc.. The questions are, what will Libya's response be and will this ultimately save more lives in the long run?....

www.cnn.com...
edit on 17-3-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Good thread, please could you keep this thread updated, this could be a very important outcome, if they vote YES then there could be many more implications to follow.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Everybody say "YES WE CAN"!
YES WE CAN implement a no-fly zone! I SAY "YES WE CAN"!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1
Good thread, please could you keep this thread updated, this could be a very important outcome, if they vote YES then there could be many more implications to follow.

Yes.

UPDATES:

UN Security Council members agreed on a draft resolution that will impose a no-fly zone over Libya, diplomats in New York said. The decision will be brought up for a vote later in the day.
www.ynetnews.com...

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton urgently asked the head of Egypt's military junta Field Marshal Mohammed Tantawi for permission to use Egyptian air bases for American military jets to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya.
www.debka.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
OH Jeeze,
were in Japan,
Azcrackistan,
Icraq,
next stop libyakyakyak!

WE are USA!!!

So glad a canadian is interested...

BIG news indeed......

I'm up in arms about it...

I wish we spent so many resources on getting some Jobs in the USA
so WE can feed our family and live..

I understand the world needs help i'm glad someone is there to help THE WHOLE WORLD!

Just gets frustrating...

After the no fly zone is implemented thats already
getting in THEIR business..

Civilians should not be slaughtered

Just makes you think OH NOT ANOTHER COUNTRY!!

edit on 17-3-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
As I just said elsewhere
Obama is gonna be pissed if he has to miss the opening game of March Madness..
you know his picks for this year were Ohio State and Kansas...
DHS is gonna make sure his teams make it too

I can hear a Obama administration official now.. the Pres asks you all to wait and not jump to any rash judgements, mostly because he already bought front row center tickets

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Although i wish we could help the people in Libya, can we really manage it? the US and UK are stretched to the limits already, i really dont think both countries could take much more and you know if a no fly zone is put in place something more worse will come of it, like full scale invasion or something, and if this predicted earthquake happens in california then the US will be really in the #

the feeling i got right now is that we are too stretched, we got our fingers in too many pies, but only time will tell.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

The UN can and will arm the rebels, but first they have to save them at Benghazi or there won't be any left to help.
There is talk at the UN of taking the frozen assets from Kaddafi and letting the rebels buy arms with that, but that will take time to pass, distribute the money, and ship the arms then get the arms distributed to the actual people.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I don't know why TPTB keep trying to put on the facade that they are listening to the World and will vote on this. The vote is unnecessary as it has been decided behind closed doors already. This isn't our first dance.

The vote is just for public viewing and propaganda as they continue to treat us little ones as children who know absolutely nothing of what the World is really like and what our leaders (loosely termed) are up to.

The UN also showed its might when it came to IRAQ and Baby Bush's Agenda so it wouldn't really matter what came out anyway.

I can't believe that there is actually going to be another war/occupation/humanitarian mission....whatever.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Whats the point now he already slaughter the innocent along with the rebels.

Same on all the arab countries for not doing something. Why should the us get involved to only be rediculed by others that we are meddling iin there buisness.

Ok well look where that got them.

Sad peeps really sad.

What is the casulty count at. 10k I suspect higher....

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I am aware that Gaddafi and his minions are monitoring sites such as ATS.

My insignificant and nobody plea to Gaddafi.

The writing is on the wall. You know full well what you had done. Your bloodstained hands upon your own unarmed people can NEVER be washed away, no matter how glib you and your sons are. The dead screams for justice. And it must be served.

To continue on with the madness will only mean more will die. How many more thousands of precious human lives does it take to make you realize the errors of your mismanagement of Libya?

Step back, step down, walk away, before the unanimous vote is taken, and leave. Salvation is for all, but retribution is a price all mortals must pay. And it will be your redemption. Step down now and cease even more bloodshed. Your time is over.

My plea to the intel monitoring officers-

You and the brainwashed troops are only our fellow brothers and sisters. We have no wish to see you harmed as well, for the evidences are far too clear to be whitewash away with insane propaganda by your leader. No one believes it or can even believe it if they want to turn a blind eye.

To continue on, is to be an accomplice to the beast that Gaddafi had become, and like all dangerous beasts, it is no crime to destroy them before they destroy the rest of humanity.

Step down, stand back, walk away and inform your fellow troops to do the same. There is no need for further bloodshed. With a new Constitution, everyone will be freed, for it is only reason the Rebellion is fighting for, not wealth or plunder.

Amnesty is still within your reach now, but when it is too late, you and your fellow troops would have lived your lives in vain and be spat upon for generations to come. We came into this world with nothing and will leave with nothing. It is what we had done that will be remembered by our loved ones, and you with your troops were not born out of a rock. You and I can end further bloodshed. You too, are a human, seeking for aspirations we human all seek....

edit on 17-3-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
^
^

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Either way, you don't even have an avatar
How are they going to take you seriously!!

Originally posted by Itop1
Although i wish we could help the people in Libya, can we really manage it?

Easily, if you ask me, even without boots on the ground.

USA has 11 aircraft carriers, sure some are deployed elsewhere and under repair, but we're talking about a lot of jets.
+ all the aircraft hardware U.S already has in the Middle-East + other UN countries aircraft.

Compared to even Canada, the Libyan army/airforce is a "joke".
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I thought this was being pushed by the UK and France, tho it seems they have failed each time they have pushed a no fly zone, if they've failed to get support enough international support so far I'm not betting they'll get it through this time.... but feel that perhaps some might end up taking unilateral action.. I guess we're in a waiting game now.
edit on 17/3/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
What and where would they need to bomb? what could possibly come from this. Only thing that comes to my mind is that it clears the way for yet another invasion from the US. If in a month from now we are watching identical footage when the USA first invaded Iraq etc ... than you know this was the plan all along when they where giving the green light for a noflyzone

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Good find! I wasn't even aware of this because of all of the other stuff going on. This is actually huge. I am keeping an eye on this thread for sure.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Hears a quick update, been watching live news....

Apparently there are def at least 2 arab states that will take part in the no fly zone, france, UK and US are all for it and they are NOT expecting a veto but 1 abstein on the vote...

The UN plan to push it through tonight so they can act to protect the people of benghazi from gaddafis assault tonight, there are 1 million people in benghazi and gaddafi has just threatened they will come and kill the enemy and search the houses for weapons and anyone found with a weapon will be ENEMY.

This is the latest update.

in a nutshell:
"Gaddafi: We are coming tonight to benghazi and there will be no mercy"
This is the reason the UN vote is in 3 hours, benghazi could turn in to a blood bath if nobody acts.... 1 million people in benghazi and its the rebels main stronghold, currently thousands of rebels celebrating in benghazi now, shooting guns and chanting.
edit on 17-3-2011 by Itop1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
If a No Fly Zone is imposed you can bet a World War Three will happen
worldhistoryatyhs.wikispaces.com...

just look at what happened in Iraq with its own no Fly Zone

link   

link   

Originally posted by Wolfcomplex
What and where would they need to bomb? what could possibly come from this. Only thing that comes to my mind is that it clears the way for yet another invasion from the US. If in a month from now we are watching identical footage when the USA first invaded Iraq etc ... than you know this was the plan all along when they where giving the green light for a noflyzone

Let's see....how about all the artillery and tanks surrounding Benghazi on 3 sides at this moment as they stockpile artillery rounds to wipe the city off the face of the earth. This is the last stand of the rebels, when Benghazi goes that will be the end of it all, the clock is ticking and it appears that Kaddafi is gonna win with time on his side. The only way to turn this around is to start dropping bombs as soon as they pass this at 6pm est.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join