It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airline passengers incoming from Japan trigger alerts at O'Hare and Dallas-Ft Worth...can we admit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
www.bloomberg.com...

and

chicago.cbslocal.com...

Radiation detectors at Dallas-Fort Worth and Chicago O’Hare airports were triggered when passengers from flights that started in Tokyo passed through customs, the New York Post reported.

Tests at Dallas-Fort Worth indicated low radiation levels in travelers’ luggage and in the aircraft’s cabin filtration system; no passengers were quarantined, the newspaper said

So, the luggage which was outside and put on the plane as well as the filtration systems which bring in outside air are showing you should NOT be outside folks. This is a bit scary and they are now making sure that there are extra detectors at LAX which is another main hub.

edit on 17-3-2011 by esdad71 because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Mar 17 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
No, it shows that people that are coming from Japan are radioactive.

from flights that started in Tokyo passed through customs

edit on 17-3-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Indeed. How odd that the OP didn't grasp this

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

That's what the OP was getting at. The radiation levels in and around the Tokyo Airport are severe enough to contaminate people and luggage badly enough to set off sensors 8 hours later. We're so busy talking about the radiation levels up closer to reactors, and here we are with direct proof that things are measurably FUBAR in the major population center.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Not a good sign.
people are going to start getting sick pretty soon.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
OP's post made sense to me....

If people from Tokyo are radioactive enough to set off sensors then this is clearly not a good situation! Yes, it may not be a dangerous level, but it still brings the seriousness of the whole event into focus.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RobertAntonWeishaupt

That's what the OP was getting at. The radiation levels in and around the Tokyo Airport are severe enough to contaminate people and luggage badly enough to set off sensors 8 hours later. We're so busy talking about the radiation levels up closer to reactors, and here we are with direct proof that things are measurably FUBAR in the major population center.

No I don't think so.
The OP was misreading the situation and perceiving a problem in the local air.
Going by these words... 'are showing you should NOT be outside folks'.
edit on 17-3-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Maybe the OP is in Japan?

That would make it all make sense.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Mmm quite possible. I took it to mean that people in Tokyo (who are doing their best to go about life with business as usual(ish)) need to stay inside etc, but it could be taken to mean "you reading this" should not be outside (wherever you happen to be).

What say you, OP?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
There, is the title better? Do not take literally I am telling people in the US to stay inside
..I am not the MSM...

What this is saying is that anything that has been in contact with the outside in Japan is susceptible to radiation which includes baggage and the air they were flying through. Now, this would mean that all of those people flying from the tarmac and not an airside in private aircraft could very well, in the last 24 hours, been exposed to radiation. One week later and there are 4 broken nuclear reactors with one that is storing spent rods and has been on fire off and on for a few days?

I don't care about acceptable amounts anymore as any is too much. I truly feel for the people of Japan. The US government is starting to evacuate service members and dependents so I think after all of our hi fly bys we finally know what is going on.
edit on 17-3-2011 by esdad71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Well I guess we can all assume that it’s worse than walking by the TSA gadgets.........

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
how come no one was freaking out when the US dropped two nuclear bombs on Japan...wouldn't the radiation have followed the same jet stream to the US?

That probably had a hundred times more radiation than this incident...Yet I never heard about any concerns over that.

so why is everyone over reacting???

.... or am I just taking this too lightly?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Only to receive a dose of radiation that's probably 1000 times stronger from our creepy TSA friends...

How ironic.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish
how come no one was freaking out when the US dropped two nuclear bombs on Japan...wouldn't the radiation have followed the same jet stream to the US?

That probably had a hundred times more radiation than this incident...Yet I never heard about any concerns over that.

Completely different kinds of radiation events. Why do you think people were living back in Hiroshima and Nagasaki (sp?) pretty soon after they were destroyed - and can still live there now? Now ask yourself why nobody is living at Chernobyl or even close to it......and probably won't for quite some time.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish

Actually, compared to the amount of nuclear material in the plants in question and their potential destructive power, Fat Man and Little Boy were firecrackers. As I understand it, actual detonation of the material helped to reduce (somewhat) the radioactivity issue converting that energy into explosive force. The melt down option more directly disburses radiation with no detonation to mitigate it. I could be wrong on the detonation reducing the radiation, but I know that the amount of material in peril is unprecedented.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

To The Redneck

I was just thinking about this problem yesterday. At work, I came in contact with liquid from an international flight. Not sure where the flights are from, but I know 100% that they are international flights. Now, I am not worried about that contact, but it did get me thinking... So after getting this gunk on my hands, I asked the question of a co-worker, about whether or not we should be concerned over the international flights if any of them were coming from Japan? I was assured that we have radiation detection equipment at our entryway which would alarm should we receive any hot materials. And should the alarm sound, we would then use a handhand geiger counter to take additional readings.

Apparently, our entryway detector goes off with very low doses of radiation... We once showed a hot load, and it turns up the guy had a barium enima the day before... And this caused our detection equipment to go off.

Yesterday, I thought I would post a question to those in the know. Our readings are different from the milliservent readings that are being discussed in most of the threads. Our maximum readings are 2000 uR/hr (u being the symbol which I'm not sure how to access without the Symbols function). What is this compared to the milli/micro readings you guys are discussing?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
2000 uR/hr (micro Röntgen per hour) is the same as 2 mR/hr (milli Röntgen per hour).

Note that a Röntgen is *NOT* the same as a Sievert.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
As bad as a nuclear accident is (and can travel in the jet stream).....imagine what would be happening if their was biological outbreak in Tokyo and all of these airline passengers would be spreading it world wide now......

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

Well, there's at least one person who doesn't think you are (me). This is my pov, too. + nuclear testing/ uranium mining/ nuclear "medicine", etc.
Maybe we're just weird. (at least in that way) :shrugs:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

How high was the cancer rate back in the 50's and 60's.................

No one was checking to see if your cancer was related to the big blast........and even today ..........

I am just saying we have no way of comparing..............

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join