It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does a nuclear meltdown work? (w/ Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Link to full article ...

(PhysOrg.com) -- When working properly, nuclear reactors produce large amounts of heat via nuclear fission reactions. The heat converts the surrounding water into steam, which turns turbines and generates electricity. But if you remove the water, you also remove the most important cooling element in a nuclear reactor and open up the possibility for nuclear meltdown.

I wasn't sure where to put this - either in the Science forum or the Japan forum, but I thought I'd go with the latter due to the video. The article and video explains what causes nuclear meltdowns and what went wrong in Japan's plant.

Interesting article for those who are interested.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The closing line "once again Mother Nature has challenged man's best efforts.".... That pretty much sums it up!
Thanks for posting the Video.
Peace,love and safety to all my brothers and sisters around this intresting time we are living in.
RED

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by redzareptile
The closing line "once again Mother Nature has challenged man's best efforts."
Yeah except the seawall wasn't all that high. I don't think it was that hard to predict we'd get a larger tsunami so I'm not sure it was really "man's best efforts".

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Here is an idea, lets add another safety feature that pumps liquid nitrogen to the rods to prevent meltdowns, has this ever been tried or considered?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by LordofHades

Liquid Nitrogen is far to cold, this would crack the containment vessel. Then you have a bigger disaster on your hands. It's like pouring super cold Ice water on a hot engine block. It will crack.

edit on 22-3-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
i think Japaneses should take care of there...nuclear reactors.....& all thing
it should be dangerous to local people

www.mynetpharma.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SJE98

what would be worse meltdown or cracked equipment, and if ur refering to the container, it can be altered with a bladder system to prevent damage from temperature change

top topics

join