It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Sandy Berger Resigns from Kerry Campaign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Following a PR nightmare when allegations of misuse and theft of classified documents surfaced this week, former Clinton national security advisor Sandy Berger resigned from John Kerry's Presidential campaign. Berger admitted to removing classified material from the National Archives without permission, stuffing them in his socks and underwear before leaving the Archives.
He is being investigated by the FBI.

WashingtonTimes.com
Amid a classified document scandal, former national security adviser Sandy Berger has resigned as adviser to U.S. Democratic presidential hopeful John Kerry.

Berger has admitted he took classified documents -- some of which he himself wrote -- from the National Archives while preparing material for the commission looking into the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, and the FBI has confirmed he is being investigated.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Berger has served as a senior advisor in John Kerry's bid for President. Last year, he removed sensitive materials from the National Archives while preparing his statments to the 9-11 Commission.

Berger maintains the removal of the documents was "an honest mistake."

Related ATSNN Stories:
Clinton Official Sandy Berger Removed Classified Papers

[edit on 21-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Hard for me to accept as an "honest mistake" from reports that this occured on possibly five occasions and the undisputible fact that Berger knows and has experience with classified document procedure. To say it was a simple mistake is stretching the imagination.

It also speaks volumes about how bad this is when Berger was booted - opps I mean resigned from Kerrys campaign.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
This is a very smart move by the Kerry campaign, this election is far from over and the excuse by Berger is not acceptable for anyone who is or has been involved in National Security issues. There is no way to spin this event to enable the former NSA to continue his involvement with Kerry's bid for the White House.

Anyone who has had any dealings with sensitive information knows the lame excuse "It was a mistake", "I was sloppy", doesn't fly when you are talking about any types of Top Secret information.

As the former NSA he of all people should know this..........

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I have heard this bit about him stuffing his socks and undies refuted on several programs...

Yet I have not heard Berger deny it. Do we have any proof he really did this? If so, then there is NO WAY he claim an honest mistake. PLEASE!

m...

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
This definately turns the tides, now doesn't it? I wonder what else the Bush administration will dig up. I'm afraid that this, along with the President's new powers given by the patriot act we could be seeing more of george in the white house. We'll have to see what comes next. Hopefully a major scandal will be unearthed by the kerry campaign against Bush.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
I have heard this bit about him stuffing his socks and undies refuted on several programs...

Yet I have not heard Berger deny it. Do we have any proof he really did this? If so, then there is NO WAY he claim an honest mistake. PLEASE!

m...

There is no dispute that the FBI found the documents in his home nor from Berger himself who returned some but not all documents when asked by archive staff.

Its kinda moot whether he put them in jacket pocket or socks.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I really enjoyed conservative commentator Neil Boortz opine on this earlier...

WHO CARES?

Was that the ONLY copy of this old memo?

It's a story of mass distraction, plain and simple. His main point being How does this even hurt Kerry? And he encouraged people who think they're helping Bush by still fighting the old Clinton administration to wake up and smell the new decade

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
He did this in October 2003. The investigation had been going on for the past nine months, but we hear about it now? Right before the 9/11 report and the democratic convention? Is this just the latest salvo of mud slinging, that both sides exchange back and forth?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

At least one Archives employee reportedly witnessed him stuffing documents in his socks, jacket & skivvies.
Of course, his lawyer denies it.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
I really enjoyed conservative commentator Neil Boortz opine on this earlier...

WHO CARES?

Was that the ONLY copy of this old memo?

RANT I suggest a turn of the tables and wonder what the reaction would be if it had been a republican that had done this - my guess is that the other party would already be talking of impeachment - yet when the shoe is on the other foot its no big deal.

My real question about this whole affair is just what was so darn important to remove that Sandy Berger, a politician with hopes of office in a Kerry administration, lawyer and an ex NSA with lobbying influence would jeapordize
most if not all career possibilities for? That is the real crux of the matter and why people should have a care.

As far as the timing of this annoucement is concerned "when would have been a good time?"

No matter when, it would have appeared politically driven anyway.

In a possibly related move the Kerry/Edward campaign website removed the linked page titled "John Kerry Unveils Comprehensive Plan to Fight the War on Terrorism" I believe this was originally dated in February on that site.
Could it be that details in Kerrys speech to closely matched the missing information? Its very strange that this info was removed from the site right after details of the Berger case broke in the media don't you think?

[edit on 21-7-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Berger probably gave the documents to Kerry, which is akin to Walker giving classsified information to the Russians. He is a spy and should be treated like one. You do not give code-worded information to anyone, even if they have the same clearance. It all comes down to "need to know."

[edit on 21-7-2004 by jrsdls]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I used as have others "NSA" to mean National Security Advisor, not National Security Agency.

We are probably using the abreviation NSA incorrectly.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Phoenix, I just figured that out. That's why I edited my post. Still, Berger should know the rules. What a mess for the Democrates.

join