It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Higher prices for food are about to get worse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Get ready for higher food prices this year. And the subsequent uprisings around the world.

news.yahoo.com...

Higher prices for food are about to get worse

Wed Mar 16, 4:24 pm ET

WASHINGTON – Americans are noticing higher prices at the grocery store, and it's about to get worse.

Food prices at the wholesale level rose last month by the most in 36 years. Cold weather accounted for most of it, forcing stores and restaurants to pay more for green peppers, lettuce and other vegetables, but meat and dairy prices surged, too.

Paul Ashworth, an economist at Capital Economics, says his firm has warned since last summer that spikes in commodity prices would eventually work their way down to wholesalers and consumers, "and here it is. There is plenty more to come over the next few months."

...Last month, the World Bank estimated that higher prices for corn, wheat and oil have pushed 44 million people into extreme poverty since last June.

Americans spend a much smaller portion of their budgets on food — about 14 percent — compared with 40 percent to 50 percent in developing countries. Labor makes up a bigger portion of food prices in the U.S., while in developing countries people are more likely to buy items like wheat to make their own bread, making them more susceptible to swings in commodity prices.

Who this really hurts is the poor, who besides on housing, spend most of their earnings on fuel and food.
edit on 17-3-2011 by dbriefed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
BEcause thier trying to collaspe the middle class into poor slave labor. I havnt heard of anyone having a payraise at work, providing thier legal workers not ripping off the tax and SS system, nor do you hear of any job opening at some fancy not so shmansy corporate office. if things had been made in USA, we wouldnt have so much a problem like this. our oleaders wnated globaliaztion, telling us it was a good thing..and it isnt is it

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I think we should all resort to growing our own crops its way affordable and healthier. This inflation has been noticed on my part where in some stores milk is 4 dollars a gallon.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
And yet, they still claim that there is no inflation...

I guess that's easy to say when you can exclude food and fuel prices from that figure. Nothing like creating your own rules whenever it suits your needs.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
paid $1.60 for a single (green) bell pepper this week.
soon it will raise restaurant prices.
if u have land, think about a garden!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by works4dhs

Here, here!! Could not agree more with that statement. If you have the means a garden will greatly help with the budget. I have one and have preserved alot of what I have grown over the years and it's amazing just how much it is now assisting with offsetting food costs.

Also something to think about here, visit your local farmers markets. Usually the prices there are a little lower than at the super markets and if you are fortunate enough to live in a rural enough area ask around at the farmers market about local sources of meats and eggs as they may also be lower in cost..... they would be more than happy to help set you on the right track. If interesed, here is a site that will help you find local producers and growers.

localharvest.org

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by dbriefed

If you have one of those Mexican super markets in your town, pay them a visit . I got that tip from a ATS member on the board; best advice I had all year. The food is fresh, No chemicals, the coca cola is made like it was in the 1970. only it's from Mexico in glass bottles. It does taste different than what the American super markets sell. no fake stuff in it. Same goes for just about everything those Mexican markets sell and it's less expensive.

I did notice one thing different at these large Mexican markets, nothing in the stores is made in china , not one thing. Durable good were in the USA or Mexico. Pans, Iron skillet pans, have not seen those in years, made in the USA. $ 9.00 Picked up a large tin wash tub for my dog. not one store had one, but the Mexican market did , made in Mexico. You find some nice items at these stores. The peppers red, yellow green were .69 a pound. then they have these roasted poblano peppers from Mexico $ 1.00 a bag. Never had them before , but they are good. Tomatoes are .89 a pound. lots of good deals at these type of store. . An entire isle for all kinds off different beans. Mexican pastry goods made fresh, you have to try the pastry. you never want a dough nut or pre-packed pastry again. They sell very healthy food.

Oh, the bar soap is cheaper at these places. I don't know why? but it.s like .39 cents for a bar of named brand soap, needless to say I stocked up. same with bathroom tissue.

Farmers markets are a great . lots of deals there too, support your local farmer. This Mexican market also buy some of it's produce form local farmers.

I save quite a bit buying at these markets. Its pretty much the same if not exact items sold in large US chains for much less and is fresher.

some of the stores are kind of crappy looking inside, but I don't care. I have $40.00 to $60.00 bucks in my pocket that I saved. Now I can spend that on 1/3 tank of gas for $4.00 a gallon.

Oh, and this story I read the other day in form MSM about how the Mexican produce markert was hit hard during the cold weather and prices will go up on Mexican produce. NOT TRUE ! My wife asked the produce manager at the market this. He said no the Mexican market produce was not hit by the cold weather. he makes the orders for the store himself. he said the big chains are doing that, and telling lies, he said that to my wife in Spanish. lucky for me my wife speaks three different languages. or else I would not have known about that big lie.

edit on 18-3-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
www.torontosun.com...

according to this article tomatos and other produce were severely damaged by cold in Mexico this year.
may explain why the peppers are so high.
one wonders if we'll wake up one morning and Mexico will say it's keeping its veggies for itself.

tomatos and peppers are very cold-sensitive. maybe other veggies aren't so much.

top topics

join