It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATSers, what does DENY IGNORANCE mean to you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I've been on ATS for a while and notice people saying this motto with affection and reverence, as the uniting force behind what people on ATS believe or should believe; the motto is used almost as a reminder "wait, wait, shouldn't we deny ignorance?", but honestly I have no idea what it really means. Does it mean you should deny the ignorance that you have? Because that would mean you would have to know that it's ignorance? Because what if you don't know its ignorance? If you knew it was ignorance it wouldn't be ignorance. Or is it to deny when people are being ignorant, which is people doing things you don't like?

What are your thoughts and interpretations of this phrase?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
That's actually a good question.

For me it means....damn it...ill be back.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

I would say deny the ignorant. People that does not bother to look further than the facts, people that do not question things, the sheeples that follow, but never lead.

In order to do that, you need to deny your own ignorance. Question things, and research topics.

When i joined ats i was rather ignorant, but i was quickly set straight. Through correction and own discovery.

vvV

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
In my own words "to deny the dumb masses of ignorant small/closed minded individuals who either choose not to dissect important topics or simply live carefree and believe all is well" Kinda like the "ignorance is bliss" saying. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
it always seemed to me a to have a broader sense then what you suggest.

It would seem, that in the context of this forum we are to work togetehr, to provide information for eachother and to accept information when it is provided for us. Not to be known or understood as truth but that in such a context of this site truth may never be known, so we should avail ourselves to as much information as possible, allowing ourselves the ability to question everything and think outside the box so that perhaps in some instances we can find the truth through all the mayhem...just my take on it.

I suppose in order to truly deny ignorance in this case we would have to appeal to the ownership and creators of this site to truly learn its intended impact in this context

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
To me it means don't take everything at face value, investigate, dig. It also means don't believe the official story, and don't automatically believe everything some random dude says on youtube.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
In my own opinion of its meaning, my signature is very similar...

When I tell people about the things I see coming and they reply with..."You're Crazy!"

I simply say: "If I'M wrong...no harm done.
But if YOU'RE wrong..."

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Denying ignorance (to me) means that one is able to change their mind when confronted with evidence of truth and/or fact. It means we are free thinkers that look for logical answers to many questions/events instead of just blindly accepting whatever tripe is handed to us. It means being able to admit you are wrong instead of going down with a sinking ship.

Some think it means agreeing with them. At the first sign of disagreement they label one ignorant for not falling in step with their ideals, and/or theories.

I guess the definition would vary depending on who you ask.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Stay neutral..
Don't believe everything you read, even on here!
Dont dismiss anything no matter how bizarre it may first appear.
Try to refrain from occupying a position...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

It means both. It means working hard to identify and eradicate your own ignorance, because we all have it in one form or another. It also means confronting and opposing ignorance in others. I'm a waiter and I work in a town that is predominately white middle class. Among servers, there is a dirty little rumor that "black people don't tip." Whenever I hear another server complaining about black people not tipping, I'm quick to point out that the race and the tip don't have anything to do with each other, that other factors like class and education come into play, coupled with the simple fact that we wait on ten times as many whites as blacks, so getting stiffed by blacks sticks out more. Now, knowing all of this, not being ignorant about the situation, I still have those rare moments of weakness when a particularly difficult table of black folks leaves me no tip, or the coins from their change, and I have a gut reaction and start thinking about their race. Now in those moments, I deny my own ignorance the chance to take root and correct my own prejudiced thinking. For me, DENY IGNORANCE is a credo to live by. One thing it clearly DOES NOT mean is to deny the fact that ignorance exists, though it seems like some of our members have taken it this way.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

whoops, double post!
edit on 17-3-2011 by RicoMarston because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Happy 1 year anniversary. Congratulations on making it and staying sane(ish).

Deny Ignorance.....

Never let anyone stop you from revealing truth.
Never be afraid to admit you could be wrong.
Enlighten those in the dark instead of chastising them for it.
Use Occam's Razor....a lot.
Understand the difference between Proof and Evidence.

cheers

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Never stop searching for the truth, if something resonates with you there is probably a good reason for it. If it happened to you and you are sure it was real then no one else can convince you otherwise. It is ignorant for them to continue to try, and a disservice to yourself to allow them. Never stop questing for knowledge. Do not be a blind follower, but don't fall for every possible theory out there either.

It does not mean bash people because they share a different opinion or go to great lengths to prove yourself right, gloat about it and look like a donkey's butt either.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
It mean to deny the ignorant state of mind. Open your mind's eye so to speak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
ok...you deny ignorance...then what? how do you use it in a way that is believable? this is basic propaganda 101, you take "some" fact that can be verified, and grossly expand on it to suit the desired purpose. even if this is discovered, you have put doubt into the target audience, either leading to confusion, apathy, or both. in the end you have nullified the orignial percieved threat.
edit on 17-3-2011 by jimmyx because: punctuation

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Well it's supposed to mean to do your own research, thinking, and analysis. Figure things out, find more information, and gain more knowledge. But apparently a lot of people on ATS seem to think it means to not be stupid.

Ignorance is not the same as intelligence. You can be extremely intellectual and extremely ignorant at the same time.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
For me it means to research, research and research. Learn as much as you can, pay attention and do not ignore things going on around you.

To Deny This:

World English Dictionary
ignorance (ˈɪɡnərəns) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
lack of knowledge, information, or education; the state of being ignorant

edit on 3/17/2011 by Missing Blue Sky because: to add definition

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Question everything before accepting it as truth.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It means to work hard to uncover the truth. To find the falsities out there, and show them to the world. Working together to find answers and make a difference...

If you embrace ignorance, you refuse to take a look at other viewpoints and to consider them. If you embrace ignorance you continue to spread ignorance and do harm to those working to find truth, what ever it may be.

Deny ignorance and you will find the truth... Working together, with all people, despite differing viewpoints and opinions, considering all possibilities and examining them thoroughly, we will find truth....

If you just deny other possibilities and blow off the people who bring them to the table, by calling them some ridiculous name such as "Dis-info agent", you are not denying ignorance. You are embracing it.

That is denying ignorance, to me.
edit on 17-3-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

top topics

join