It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Clear & Present Danger to ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Tecumte

I bet sock puppets love to post in threads about sock puppets too, dont you?

I bet they find the irony exhilarating.

I think Springer made a good point. Here on ATS there is at least a good chance we will be able to out argue them. I like the fact that we have our join date posted so we can notice if there are a lot of brand new people posting in political forums or other threads that might be of interest for propaganda purposes. I find that helpful, personally.

We just have to stay vigilant, and continue to deny ignorance. Awareness of the problem is half the battle. If we can just continue to remind members that there ARE people paid to come on forums and manipulate the flow of information, we are halfway home.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
the membership here would destroy it with facts.

Damn right we would.

Not only that, but the poster would come under added scrutiny for pushing a deliberate agenda and maybe put on a few naughty lists.

Originally posted by Darkk
ATS is a money generating site for the owners nothing more.

Err, don't the members figure into your equation? While the owners are running a business, it is a business that thrives on our imput and without us there is no active site.

ATS is bigger than just the owners, and while I understand your comment about revenue, they provide their members with one of the greatest platforms available today for an individual to really make a difference.

ATS is unique. It's why we all keep coming back and participating and I'm SURE TPTB pay attention. They may not interact as the OP has reported with sock puppet agendas but I for one am sure they have members. If they posted to promote an agenda, like Springer mentioned, members would pounce like lions.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLaughingGod

Very weird indeed.

Although thats one thing the ATS leadership does not like us to do, unfortunately. Is discuss openly if we think someone is a shill or a bot. I understand WHY that is the case, so I dont need a mod or someone to give me a lecture. I do see how not keeping a leash on that could make things crazy, but it does make it harder to out them.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

i dont think we should start fetching the pichforks just yet...

I have a different view to what springer said, but I can see why he said it. and yes alot of groups have been ousted before on websites like this, galactic federation of light, that jewish one, and scientologists.

I think this is different, this is goverment work, and not some random volenteers, these people will be fully trained, like a spy. there could even already be sleeper accounts with them posting randomly for now. they might even hijack accounts.

Plus it wont be some kind of AI, posting, it will be actual people. who manage many different personalities, they will have constant reminders of who they are supposed to be, on notepads, and on the software itself.

This will be a hell of a lot harder to detect, every single user will have a different IP adress, some thousands of miles apart.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by Springer
the membership here would destroy it with facts.

Damn right we would.

Not only that, but the poster would come under added scrutiny for pushing a deliberate agenda and maybe put on a few naughty lists.

ATS is a money generating site for the owners nothing more.

Err, don't the members figure into your equation? While the owners are running a business, it is a business that thrives on our imput and without us there is no active site.

ATS is bigger than just the owners, and while I understand your comment about revenue, they provide their members with one of the greatest platforms available today for an individual to really make a difference.

ATS is unique. It's why we all keep coming back and participating and I'm SURE TPTB pay attention. They may not interact as the OP has reported with sock puppet agendas but I for one am sure they have members. If they posted to promote an agenda, like Springer mentioned, members would pounce like lions.

Nobody of any importance is paying any attention to ATS. And sure the users have something to do with it but the contributors just bring people to come,see and click on the adds. This whole thing is just a marketing business that happens to cater to the conspiracy crowd. I like conspiracy so i come and read.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

That reads as though he was high on last week's drug of choice, "Charlie Sheen".
I'm sure that was nothing more than spoofin' on da Sheen.

Springer...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkk

of course it is a buisness, how else can they pay for the servers..would you rather have Adverts everywhere, OR a pay per veiw forum . also You would be stupid to not try and profit from a site like this.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

You bring up some very good points.

Hijacking accounts is very possible. Sleeper accounts made at random times to avoid the "born on" date issue, are also very possible.

It sucks, but one bright side I see, if the PTB push too hard on social media, we will go around it. The LAST thing they want is for us to abandon media and to start talking to each other in person. But if it gets to the point where I feel I cant trust anything online, you can rest assured thats exactly what I will do.

Maybe thats what we need to do for the betterment of society anyway. Get off the electronics and get together. At least until we get Frankenstein's monster under control.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkk

You can not believe what you are stating can you? You think a site called above top secret is not being scrutinized by the gov/corp security apparatus? Really? I know that is some tongue in cheek humor right?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayouttheredude
reply to post by Darkk

You can not believe what you are stating can you? You think a site called above top secret is not being scrutinized by the gov/corp security apparatus? Really? I know that is some tongue in cheek humor right?

Tell me please what real conspiracies are breaking out of ATS? Another JFK or 9/11 theory?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkk

Your account is very new so I will cut you some slack. Once you have been around here for a few years and have seen the day to day information flow here you will see that the news breaks on ATS faster than any other site. I will not side track this thread by continuing this back and forth with you.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
To me i don't tHink that thEy (ats) should ever be concerned with protecting this website at all since prettY much everything that Site has to offEr has been discussed in some other boards or other forms of media why would those shilLs that came here probabLy are just some ppl who has nothIng better to do, also where do you thiNk users here get their inFo from? yeah your right it came from the internetz sO why would they choose atS to monitor? they would be just wasting their resources here.

hope there's someone...who would...........
edit on 17-3-2011 by MarkofCain because: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkofCain

Because information can be generated at ANY of the sites that deal with conspiracy. A lot of what we get is available elsewhere. But some of the members that analyze the information are only available here.

So, if someone here went all radical, and became a legitimate threat to our nation, or a specific politician, you would not know that if you were monitoring another site. Only if you were also watching here. And, we are a very popular site, with a lot of traffic. Why would they not keep someone here?

To anyone who might know,

Is there a way to see how many new accounts are made in any one day, week, month? So that we can look for unusual spikes in membership ourselves?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayouttheredude
reply to post by Darkk

Your account is very new so I will cut you some slack. Once you have been around here for a few years and have seen the day to day information flow here you will see that the news breaks on ATS faster than any other site. I will not side track this thread by continuing this back and forth with you.

What are you talking about? The news that "breaks" in this site is just copy/pasted from some news site. So the LA times or some other news site writes a story then it is just pasted here and called alternative.So it is not about "alternative" news it is just about news and getting people to come here instead of the news site they would normally go to, It is the same news different site.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkk

maybe you should stop posting off topic for a second, becasue your posts will get deleted. if you want to rant about the site, go to another forum, maybe david icks one im sure you will find plenty of people who will agree, and you wont be gagged.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

What are you talking about? The news that "breaks" in this site is just copy/pasted from some news site. So the LA times or some other news site writes a story then it is just pasted here and called alternative.So it is not about "alternative" news it is just about news and getting people to come here instead of the news site they would normally go to, It is the same news different site.

There is a HUGE difference between the various news sites and ATS. I'll try to explain it...

ATS members gather news stories from around the world, right? It doesn't really matter where a story initially comes from (unless it's Sorcha Fail
), it is going to get discussed. That's the #1 primary function we have which is seperated from the source.

Secondly, in the same thread and on the same topic, there is going to be further information posted by our members which comes from other sources and countries, which may then either detract from or validate the information of the Original Post. This cannot happen by only knowing the information in the original source.

Thirdly, ATS threads carry on discussions over as long a period of time as it remains of interest to any one of our members. One post puts the thread right back on top of the Recent Posts page. As things change and added information comes in, the full truth of the matter may finally start to emerge.

Now, take the above information and please explain to me how any bot pumping disinformation onto the net is going to bamboozle our generally astute membership? Not going to be successful over the long term, imho
edit on 17/3/11 by masqua because: sp & grammar

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Oh, may be so.. was that like a 'thing' in the US, a meme?

And why was my post removed, was it really that off topic.

I'm getting suspicious here.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
quote: "Nobody of any importance is paying any attention to ATS."

Well, you really might be surprised, I feel fairly certain that probably most ALL social network sights are monitored and very likely *Total Information Awareness" type tax payer wasting little trolls are logging, filing, and adding to their little files on most all citizens.

I posted quite a bit as I mentioned years ago on many many sights including both here at ATS and at such places as AJ's Infowars among others and I am POSITIVE I have been *flagged*, not due to any violent or otherwise type of comments, simply because of the info I posted and my opinions. I won't go into deatils but along time ago when I used to post on a board dealing with the Waco massacre I got a personal 'visit'. So people can believe what they want, but really, I highly reccommend not being naive for your own sake.

As anyone can see by my signup date I just resumed posting (no I'm REALLY not a sock puppet honest, read my posts) after a long time of silence and rest because I got so caught up in being on these boards it displaced other things in my life I need to attend to a bit more. But I enjoy the dialogue, I learn, and I share as well and I think for now it is a mutually beneficial use of my time and hopefully for others as well.

As for the sock puppets, I agree, they probably can't really derail the conversations here as well as they do on smaller boards, or sway opinion as they attempt on maintream chat rooms, but what they do on places like ATS here is they simply dilute topics and threads by shear volume of posts and replies, and run down and out of the limelight topics they don't wish to see there. There really really is so much more than meets the average eye as far as attempts to sway the herd, it is a HUGE (as many astute old times here and elsewhere know) business with massive effort and funding, never think for a second that 'they' aren't here. THEY are everywhere. Really.
edit on 17-3-2011 by Tecumte because: all thumbs typos

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkk

Dear Darkk,

Once you have posted here longer than more than a week, lurker beforehand or not, you may begin to understand how things work on ATS.
Your opinions and comments hold no water for those who have experienced the ups and downs of this sites in and outs. Scrutiny is everything, even our bosses and staff don't go unchecked.
What may seem impossible to you can seem possible to others and probable to some, it all depends on the information and mindset one uses to judge each event. Sock puppets, disinformation, trolls, hoaxes and personal and corporate agendas are all here and to assume that the power of this site has no influence within intelligence communities is naive. Even if "they" never post regarding a subject (likely), where better to gain information but from a global conglomerate of discussion regarding current affairs and news minute by minute, and more importantly are the personal opinions (always added to an OP's breaking news story) which provide information as to general consensus and trends. Useful stuff.

Stick around, have fun, and learn. If you don't keep an open mind and believe in possibilities then you don't really belong here do you? Anything CAN happen. We are here to poke sticks and find out what does. When something dodgy happens in a thread you are involved in or authored you will see what I mean.

The only other conclusion I can come to is that you are just another boat-rocker who is not going to stay dry for very long, will not be part of something powerful and will dissappear into internet obscurity. I'd rather hope you enjoy your stay, stick around and take the time to feel more enlightened than you presently do.

cheers

ps...nerbot is not a "bot"

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join