It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was wondering, since we have so many satellites.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
why cant be have one permanently stationed around the moon to monitor what the hell is going on up there. i've seen so many sites with some good pics that show some abnormalities up there.

� i even heard that a year or two ago that china was gonna send one to do a close pass by, and also to see if there really is a united states flag up there. but i've never heard about it again, has anybody else?

� or has anybody even been able to take a high resolution pic with a telescope and capture a shot of the U.S flag up there, i don't think i've ever come across a pic like that. but i'm sure you guys have seen one or two.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
i heard about the chinese sending a satalite but like you said i never heard about it again......if you could can you post the site were the pics with the abnormalities it would be great to see.... and try to find a chinese space agency web site to see if there is anything there

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by whos_out_there
why cant be have one permanently stationed around the moon to monitor what the hell is going on up there.

Here's why.

$

What politician in his right mind would spend taxpayers dollars for equipment to circle a desolate planet? To what end?

Sometimes even NASA has a hard enough time 'convincing' the general public of their funding benefits, and they're sending real cool probes to Mars! Not to mention the ISS, what has that cost so far?

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
the funny thing is this hasn't stopped them from sending every other piece of metal with a camera on it out there, what's one more thing. that doesn't even include all the stuff they've sent with out us knowing about it.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
sounds really interesting, Have u got a link to a site?

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   

or has anybody even been able to take a high resolution pic with a telescope and capture a shot of the U.S flag up there, i don't think i've ever come across a pic like that. but i'm sure you guys have seen one or two.

The flag actually fell over when they left the moon. It was just stuck into the ground a few inches, and the blast from the rockets when they left knocked it down.

Buzz Aldrin - Nasa Apollo 11 Mission Notes
Liftoff from the Moon, after a stay totaling twenty-one hours, was exactly on schedule and fairly uneventful. The ascent stage of the LM separated, sending out a shower of brilliant insulation particles which had been ripped off from the thrust of the ascent engine. There was no lime to sightsee. I was concentrating on the computers, and Neil was studying the attitude indicator, but I looked up long enough to see the flag fall over . . .

I suppose that one of the Apollo missions could have left a flag standing, but it would be very hard to find. You're talking about searching a large area for a very small object. The intented landing site had a crater and rubble, so Neil and Buzz had to pick another landing site. They had defer the landing for such a long time that when they touched down, they only had 30 seconds of fuel left.

EAGLE: 540 feet, down at 30 [feet per second] . . . down at 15 . . . 400 feet down at 9 . . . forward . . . 350 feet, down at 4 . . . 300 feet, down 3 1/2 . . . 47 forward . . . 1 1/2 down . . . 13 forward . . . 11 forward? coming down nicely . . . 200 feet, 4 1/2 down . . . 5 1/2 down . . . 5 percent . . . 75 feet . . . 6 forward . . . lights on . . . down 2 1/2 . . . 40 feet? down 2 1/2, kicking up some dust . . . 30 feet, 2 1/2 down . . . faint shadow . . . 4 forward . . . 4 forward . . . drifting to right a little . . . O.K. . . .

HOUSTON: 30 seconds [fuel remaining].

EAGLE: Contact light! O.K., engine stop . . . descent engine command override off . . .

HOUSTON: We copy you down, Eagle.

EAGLE: Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed!

Houston didn't even know the actual location of the Eagle's landing point until some time after the mission was over. (Back at earth) Finding the exact location from a telescope on earth would be nearly impossible.

[edit on 22-7-2004 by dbates]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
even if the flag fell to the ground, it should still be there, since there's nothing to blow it away. i just want to see the damnn thing, lol,

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
It'd be easier to look for the rover and the cradle of the lander....

China was going to send one...and they will, in prep for their announced moonshot (not to capture the flag, hehe...), but not for another couple years or so, if I remember correctly.... Ever the capitalist communists though, I'm sure they'll get some pictures and sell them to the highest bidder, hehe....

Check this link btw...

www.tass-survey.org...

[edit on 23-7-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   

? or has anybody even been able to take a high resolution pic with a telescope and capture a shot of the U.S flag up there, i don't think i've ever come across a pic like that. but i'm sure you guys have seen one or two.

There is no telescope that can see something that small, that far away. Even the Hubble doesn't have a big enough mirror to see something that far away.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yep, check my link though, and you'll see about as good as we can get...look at the links, FROM the link, and you can see a small shadow of the lander, and the blast mark from the capsule, etc. but that's about as good as we can get...

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I didn't click the link the first time Gazrok, thanks for pointing it out to me (not enough coffee in me yet to notice the obvious)

Also, this is from the Clementine spacecraft that is orbiting the Moon, too bad it's camera didn't have a higher resolution.

Are all of the telescopes operational at the VLT? Couldn't that array of those telescopes, using inferometry, see something that small on the moon? I am going to do a little research on the VLT and see for myself, unless someone here knows.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Could be the same reason why nothing takes good looks a cydonia-ther is something there and they don't want it know-yet

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
One thing on the moon that we can still see (sorta) is the reflective plate left by the Apollo 11 mission. I've always thought it was neat that we could shine a laser all the way to the moon and have it reflected back to us.

www.space.com...

"For the past 30 years, a small reflective plate about 18 inches square has been sitting on the lunar surface quietly bouncing laser beams back to Earth. It continues to defy the predictions of some early Apollo planners who guessed the specialized mirror would quickly be buried in powdery moondust."

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Could be the same reason why nothing takes good looks a cydonia-ther is something there and they don't want it know-yet

Oh, we got a plenty good look a Cydonia awhile ago, but the "face" was revealed to be a trick of light and shadow so those images were naturally called fake by some

new topics

top topics

join