It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop panicking US, You already live in a Radioactive fallout Zone!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Folks

Please take a look at this video. It has been posted here before however this is CERTAINLY worth looking at and bearing in mind given the current level of panic going on.

Given the footprint that Chernobyl left, and the effect that had on Europe, even if this is AS BAD as Chernobyl, it will STILL NOT mean the end of the world

Sorry to disappoint

Nuclear Tests Worldwide

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
sad, sobering, senseless, stupid

crazy and criminal

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Lets just hope for the better and believe that Japan's nuclear incident does not reach Chernobyl levels, one of the world's most technologically advanced nation has just been decimated by mother nature

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

WOW, thats alot however I assumed it might be close to 2000.

I wonder how many after 1998.......

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
Given the footprint that Chernobyl left, and the effect that had on Europe, even if this is AS BAD as Chernobyl, it will STILL NOT mean the end of the world
I wonder if all this testing has any effect on global cancer rates? I knew there were a lot of tests but I didn't realize it was over 2000.

It would be interesting to know how many of those were underground (where the radiation doesn't disperse globally, like it does in atmospheric tests).

But your point is well taken, a few more particles of radioactivity from Japan after those 2054 nuclear explosions won't add all that much to our exposure on a global basis. Just like Chernobyl, the biggest risk is to people witin 30 km of the facility who get exposed to elevated levels of radiation.

I'm surprised we don't glow in the dark already (just kidding).

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I think maybe most of them were underground. However "some" of the radiation has to have seeped out. After all isn't radiation only blocked by lead!!

Or is that superman??

However it remains, that after thousands of detonations, land and sea, that this, even if it goes Chernobyl, really should not be cause for wide spread panic in the US (12,000 miles away). To the point where everyone is buying up Thyroshield.

But taking this stuff, doesn't stop you getting radiation poisoning though. or does it (I don't know) I suspect not.

I just feel the reaction is driven by the MSM fear machine, and another good crisis isn't being wasted.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Not the end of the world, just a few hundred-thousand additional cancer deaths, it sure won't feel like a big deal when it's your child nope, nothing to be worried or upset about. Just because things are already bad doesn't mean worse is no big deal.
By the way, there are many hundreds of times the amount of radioactive material at this plant than at Chernobyl, and multiple reactors each much larger than Chernobyl are melting down. There are more than 600,000 spent fuel rods stored at this facility. This certainly has the potential to be magnitudes worse than Chernobyl. Downplaying it is not wise. I like you Jakius, but I do not like your attitude about this.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
When Chernobyl happened most parents didn't do anything much. (Mine did nothing!) I think one of my friend's mother gave them kelp as a precautionary (they are health nuts anyway). I was on the West Coast as a child at the time and I am fine. No glowing or extra body parts, my cat is not a zombie and NOONE keeled over.

But as far as nuclear repercussions before the Japanese tsunami and radiation scare - 40% of American women have fibroids or other reproductive ailments, thyroid issues are getting worse, not to mention the regulation of hormones in the body - whether this is diet, radiation, or a mix, I have no idea. But these things do contribute.

There are conflicting reports coming out of Japan. The media is playing everyone.
IF and its a really big IF anything happens, we WILL be notified. They are already stepping up the monitoring process.
www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by defenestrator

DS: That is exactly what I am talking about. Where you do have these figures from. Are you privy to information that the people at large are not?

I am sure it won't feel the same when it is not child???

Although MY CHILD inhabits and area close to the pacific, although not within the confined of the borders of the USA. I am sure he will be safe, as SURELY the radioactive plume will respect those borders and thusly affect ONLY affect the United Stated of America!!!! ????

Just one fact.

I was a young boy at the time of Chernobyl.

The plume from that spread and covered all of Europe. including the UK.

Thousands of sheep were culled due to radioactive infection, to the point that affected herds in Northern Counties were not used for many years. In fact I am not even sure if they are now.

On that day, It was raining. It rained all over me in fact.

No one dropped dead, then or even shortly afterwards.

The distance from Chernobyl to the UK is a quarter of that from Japan to the Western shores of the US.

Please keep things in context, and try and understand that there are those of us who have seen this before and lived.

I understand the need to take precaution. But reactions should be tempered with fact, and clear thinking. not fueled by media speculation.

IMO these are times when thoughts of conspiracy should be put aside. And decision made based on fact. No one is doubting that the situation there is severe. However within 48 hours of this breaking, there were rumblings that this would turn the US into an uninhabited wasteland, coupled with panic buying of thyroshield, and people pleading on here for instructions on where to obtain it and how to use it.

I find that kind of unnecessary overreaction to be most distasteful, given the circumstances

edit on 17/3/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Sorry, but I still consider this to be "kind of a big deal".
Do we even know exactly how much radiation is being/has been released??
Or how much radiation the Pacific ocean can handle before life forms living in there are adversely affected?
Okay then, i'm still worried.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Keep in mind many of the tests int the American Southwest were above ground. I have it from a very reliable first person source it used to be good fun for those living around Las Vegas in the 50s and 60s to go and watch the mushroom clouds in the distance.

Yes there is a higher Cancer rate in these areas. No it is not immediate death to anyone, in fact there are several I know of that were in the area and lived very long lives.

I don't know if a bomb or a power plant melting down releases more into the atmosphere. But until I can find any real info (which is sparse among all the propaganda) I'm going to have to with the logical thought that an explosion meant to kill in the early dirty bomb era is more dangerous.

This shows above / below ground for US:

www.johnstonsarchive.net...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Folks

Please take a look at this video. It has been posted here before however this is CERTAINLY worth looking at and bearing in mind given the current level of panic going on.

Sorry to disappoint

Nuclear Tests Worldwide

The U.S. isn't panicking. Only idiots are, and idiots are worldwide.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
www.cancer.gov...

Here is a nice map provided by the US National Cancer Institute showing thyroid exposure to I 131 from nuclear testing in the US.

Just a bit more fuel to the "We're already glowing in the dark" argument.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by totalmetal

That is certainly true, However you don't hear so much about panicking Canadians.

I guess it's a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

i think Canadians are just quieter about their panicking or more subuded. They're still buying out Iodine and Iodide in Vancouver, I already have iodine in my first aid kit and eat loads of spinach (like i'm horrendously addicted to spinach, I eat about 7 bags of baby spinach a week) so I'm not worried. I just asked if there was any left at three places yesterday out of curiosity and it's all gone

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

reply to post by defenestrator

I was a young boy at the time of Chernobyl.

The plume from that spread and covered all of Europe. including the UK.

Thousands of sheep were culled due to radioactive infection, to the point that affected herds in Northern Counties were not used for many years. In fact I am not even sure if they are now.

On that day, It was raining. It rained all over me in fact.

No one dropped dead, then or even shortly afterwards.

The distance from Chernobyl to the UK is a quarter of that from Japan to the Western shores of the US.

Please keep things in context, and try and understand that there are those of us who have seen this before and lived.

I understand the need to take precaution. But reactions should be tempered with fact, and clear thinking. not fueled by media speculation.

IMO these are times when thoughts of conspiracy should be put aside. And decision made based on fact. No one is doubting that the situation there is severe. However within 48 hours of this breaking, there were rumblings that this would turn the US into an uninhabited wasteland, coupled with panic buying of thyroshield, and people pleading on here for instructions on where to obtain it and how to use it.

I find that kind of unnecessary overreaction to be most distasteful, given the circumstances

True facts.
Relevant cautions were taken as regards to livestock. (I remember New Zealand lamb being all the rage following the distaster). If we were at school, we all got rained on. We still went to work & went to school.
I havent met anyone with two heads, none of us glow, my fertility sure as hell wasn't effected.

Be concerned by all means, but it's just mindblowing watching all the sympathy turn into all this panic, chest beating and gnashing of teeth. For one fleeting moment I thought the world might actually come together in its sadness, but no..it's back to the old everyone for themselves supermarket grabathon.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Don't worry Americans... Japanese...

CHERNOBYL

Large areas in Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia were evacuated, and over 336,000 people were resettled. According to official post-Soviet data, about 60% of the fallout landed in Belarus.

Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus have been burdened with the continuing and substantial decontamination and health care costs of the Chernobyl accident. More than fifty deaths are directly attributed to the accident, all among the reactor staff and emergency workers. Estimates of the total number of deaths attributable to the accident vary enormously, from possibly 4,000 to close to a million.

Another study critical of the Chernobyl Forum report was commissioned by Greenpeace, which asserts that "the most recently published figures indicate that in Belarus, Russia and Ukraine alone the accident could have resulted in an estimated 200,000 additional deaths in the period between 1990 and 2004."

A 2009 English translation of an earlier 2007 Russian language publication titled "Chernobyl" presented an analysis of scientific literature and concluded that medical records between 1986, the year of the accident, and 2004 reflect 985,000 deaths as a result of the radioactivity released. The authors suggested that most of the deaths were in Russia, Belarus and Ukraine, but others were spread through the many other countries the radiation from Chernobyl struck.

en.wikipedia.org...

At the very least everyone in Japan will receive dangerous levels of radiation, and millions will have to be relocated. If it turns out to be worse than Chernobyl then it has the possibility of killing millions and affecting people around the world for years to come.

Don't panic, but don't act like it's not a big deal either...

edit on 18-3-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

After all isn't radiation only blocked by lead!!

Just about EVERYTHING blocks radiation...to some degree...and that's the kicker.

Inch per inch, lead is best, but other materials such as concrete, dirt, even heavy clothing also provide varying levels of protection.

While the vast majority of tests are underground, there were plenty of above ground blasts too, and not just by the US, but Russia is right there with us in number, and then there are other contributors as well (Britain, France, etc.).

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

.... However you don't hear so much about panicking Canadians.

British Columbia was one of the first areas in North America to panic buy and run out of KI pills.

B.C. residents snap up iodine pills
B.C. residents grabbing iodine to guard against Japanese radiation
B.C. public reacts to nuclear radiation fears by stockpiling potassium iodide

As for the original article:

Nuke Testing: The majority of nuclear weapons testing is underground and only use a few kilograms of fissionable material per test.

Real Nukes: The "Fat Man" atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki used 6.2 kilograms of plutonium and the " Little Boy" atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima used 64 kg of uranium. Both cities were re-inhabited after the war with 80% of the residual radiation gone by 24 hours.. Today, background radiation in Hiroshima and Nagasaki is the same as most regions on Earth.

Chernobyl Disaster: Reactor contained 180 tons of uranium fuel and Pripyat, Ukraine is still an uninhabitable death zone 25 years later.

Fukushima Meltdown: There's over 1.7 million kilograms of above ground fissionable material in which the region may become uninhabitable for 1000s of years while spewing more radiation than 9 Chernobyls with the added danger of vaporized plutonium oxide.

How Much Spent Nuclear Fuel Does the Fukushima Daiichi Facility Hold? ScientificAmerican

How Much Spent Nuclear Fuel Does the Fukushima Daiichi Facility Hold?
• Reactor No. 1: 50 tons of nuclear fuel
• Reactor No. 2: 81 tons
• Reactor No. 3: 88 tons
• Reactor No. 4: 135 tons
• Reactor No. 5: 142 tons
• Reactor No. 6: 151 tons
• Also, a separate ground-level fuel pool contains 1,097 tons of fuel; and some 70 tons of nuclear materials are kept on the grounds in dry storage (1700 tons of spent fuel also being reported).

Further reading:
Nuclear Fallout Wiki
Chernobyl Versus The A-Bomb And Your Radiation Dose
edit on 18-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: typo

new topics

top topics

join