It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions the Skeptics, Media and Government(s) Can’t Answer.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

Originally posted by colin42

Of course it is, you cannot make cheap bombs without them.

Are you really trying to say that spent fuel from light water reactors can be weaponized? Wanna think about that a little more?

I suggest you read a little closer. I refered to the nuclear industry.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Based on what I am seeing, in large part “the world's corporate controlled media” seems more interested in populating the airwaves with anti-nuclear talking heads.

I tend to share that observation. Although I would not put in scare quotes that the media is corporate controlled. It is. Thats just a fact.

But I do agree with you that the dominant message is "nuclear power is scary and bad and we should not use it." Right at the time when we were considering a move to more nuclear power to reduce our dependence on oil, too.

Quite convenient for the oil industry.

I am not as knowledgeable as you when it comes to nuclear power plants, but I have worked in and around other plants, and you bring up very good points and I hope your less than stellar bedside manner doesnt cause people to discount what you are saying.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

We love all the acronyms and nuclear lingo that you are using SirMike. I've no doubt that you know what you are talking about. What is your over all assessment of this ongoing tragedy? Is everyone just being silly? Please give us your analysis of what is going on and a guess on what could become of all this.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I think that’s a non starter the oil vs nuclear thing. Nuclear energy is never going to supplant oil as a fuel for transportation … its just not. Maybe in 20 years when batteries can hold the same energy density as gasoline it could replace it for cars, but what about trucks, trains, barges, jet fuel .. etcetera.

I am really sorry if I come across as a prick … but truth is I am a bit of a prick.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Thanks for that reality slap! You're right. Are there really workers on site? God Bless them if they are, but how do we really know? And if you take into account how ineffective they would be in the face of the sheer enormity and danger, it seems even less likely.

www3.nhk.or.jp...
NKH says they pulled the 50 workers back during the water bombing today, also they are the ones trying to reconnect the power lines to the damaged cooling pumps for the cores and spent rod pools. So yes 50 can make a difference.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

MWAP = Maximum Allowable Working Pressure. Not a nuke term just a pressurized vessel term.

MY take … hmmmm … lets see.

Well, things are bad. This aint a TMI. Fortunately though because of the location, on the eastern coast, type of reactor, water moderated vs graphite moderated, and the presence of containment structures it won’t be a Chernobyl. The consequences will depend on how quickly they can get this under control. My belief is that once offsite power is restored, the situation will deescalate quickly. I think this will happen within the next 12-36 hours. It would appear that the stop gap measure are maintaining the present status quo at the site = small amounts of radioactive material leaking.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I am really sorry if I come across as a prick … but truth is I am a bit of a prick.

It doesnt bother me. I dont have anything against people who are cranky, personally. I care more about the content of the post than how nice someone is to me. I just sincerely hope that people DO have a listen to what you are saying, and not just discount you because they dont like your tone.

People have this unfortunate tendency to think the truth should sound and feel good, and often, it just doesnt.

You may be right, that nuclear isnt going to be a major player, and maybe it doesnt deserve to, but I do find it awfully coincidental that just when we were thinking of increasing our investment in that area, we are getting barraged with "oh noes! we are all going to die in a nuclear holocaust!" messages.

You know sometimes you cant really put your finger on what they are trying to accomplish, but you just know you are being led propaganda wise. And I think thats got a lot to do with what is going on in this thread. Not everyone has the technical expertise you do, but the majority of us sense that we are being lied to or manipulated in some way regarding this nuclear thing.

We just arent clear on who is lying or manipulating, or what their motive is, etc.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

MWAP = Maximum Allowable Working Pressure. Not a nuke term just a pressurized vessel term.

Well, things are bad. This aint a TMI. Fortunately though because of the location, on the eastern coast, type of reactor, water moderated vs graphite moderated, and the presence of containment structures it won’t be a Chernobyl. The consequences will depend on how quickly they can get this under control. My belief is that once offsite power is restored, the situation will deescalate quickly. I think this will happen within the next 12-36 hours. It would appear that the stop gap measure are maintaining the present status quo at the site = small amounts of radioactive material leaking.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

S & F Proto. People are getting one story from the Japanese government, several different stories from TEPCO, 6 or 7 more stories from various media outlets both in Japan and abroad, and a ton of different ideas from various "experts".

It's a crazy situation. If it's frustrating here, I can NOT imagine what the poor Japanese are going through after descending through three different layers of hell - earthquake, tsunami, and the nuclear crisis!

Somebody needs to pull their thumb out their butts and start crapping miracles.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by Amaterasu

In a system that has no place for cheating to happen...then there cannot be "cheaters." As for sociopaths and psychopaths, I contend they are a product of the twisting and "love-killing" nature of a money/power/energy (three manifestations of the same thing) scarcity system. In abundance, such twisting will be a very rare case indeed. And Humans untwisted are indeed loving, caring and giving.

You are wrong. And if you wanted to research it, you would realize that. I used to think much like you. The difference is, by nature I am a fact checker. You are certain in your BELIEF, so you will not research to see if your belief is founded in fact. Beliefs may or may not be true. One has to do the work to find that out, and I have been around the board long enough to know that of all the closed minds in the world, the spiritual closed minds are closed the tightest.

Which are you saying I am wrong about? What have I not researched? And I am curious, if it is the idea that in abundance - with everyone equally "rich" and those who care willing to raise our children - that such twisting will be minimal...how would I go about researching this? Never before have we had such a society.

Originally posted by Amaterasu
I don't see a need to balance peace with war. The only purpose for war is to gain something, and in abundance, One can gain without war. Without violence. And without money.

Again, you are wrong. There is another reason for war. Defense. Its why your immune system does what it does. And again, you are closed minded on purpose. You will never see the truth in that, because you dont want to. No where on earth is there a life form that is not engaged in violence on some level. Consider that. Or deny it, as you will.

In abundance why would anyone be attacking? Why cannot Humanity be the "body?" You can call me closed minded, but I suspect you're incorrect. I am trying to grasp your points here. A few examples would go a long way.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I thought that MWAP stood for Mixed Waste Analysis Plan! Thanks for clearing it up for me. Can you let us know what TMI stands for?

I truly hope you are correct in your assessment. Believe me when I tell you this. I see you mentioned the presence of containment structures. Are you referring to the structures around the cores? I believe at the very least two concrete containment structures have blown up. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now if the containment structures around the cores are in place then the passive cooling systems we were referring to in prior posts are still working? This is great news for the cores but what of the spent fuel rods that were in the cooling baths. I saw in the videos that the baths were placed high so as to utilize gravity.

With the lack of water to the baths and the run away temperatures of the spent fuel rods are those baths still able to retain water if in fact they are even still there? Glad to have you on the thread SirMike even if you believe you are a prick! That is not my prognosis at this time!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I had a vision as I watched the Today show this morning;

Ann Curry was in Akita, Japan reporting. And just like on "raiders of the lost ark" her face melted right there on the tv screen.

I made the comment of what I had envisioned to my wife and she replied that Ann's face does look melted.

That is what it's going to take for the populace to see through the lies.

I'm thinking of painting in large letters on my Jeep; NO MORE LIES

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

I'm thinking of painting in large letters on my Jeep; NO MORE LIES

I think you should paint NO MORE ACID TRIPS on your jeep. I'm just kidding loveguy but if I saw someone's face melt, I believe I would be wondering what the hell I've eaten!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

I think the question we all have now, is was she more or less attractive with the melted face?

I do tend to agree with you, it would take about that for people to become alarmed.

Thanks for joining in.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I think that’s a non starter the oil vs nuclear thing. Nuclear energy is never going to supplant oil as a fuel for transportation … its just not. Maybe in 20 years when batteries can hold the same energy density as gasoline it could replace it for cars, but what about trucks, trains, barges, jet fuel .. etcetera.

ATS is a box of assorted nuts, some nuts are a little harder to chew on.
Either way, Id have to support you on your statement that Nuclear energy will never replace oil as a fuel for transportation,,,,, and I would also say within the home and accessories. Its all about batteries isn't it.
...... ( mind is carried away by the Matrix and human batteries) see ya folks

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Thanks again fo another interesting and insightful thread.
After reading through the posts, i still cant believe that some people are still believing the lies of the MSM and TPTB.
When will some people wake up and realise that the governments and the big corporations dont care about us, and that the MSM are just entertainment news designed to dumb the world down with its hollywood style of hype and lack of substance.

There are many questions and very few answers on this disaster and we here at ATS have been able to gather and exchange more factual information than that of which has been presented on all the international news sites put together.( You should all be applauded)

The world cant keep running on the lies perpurtrated by the MSM and the propaganda of TPTB, we have been manipulated for way to long by these people into fighting wars based on lies and now they are down playing the serious nature of this disaster unfolding before our very eyes.( BP comes to mind)

When will the rest of the world wake up and open their eyes

Ps, THEY dont want us to know the truth Proto.
As the TRUTH will set us FREE.
(and they wouldnt want that now, would they?)
S&F
edit on 17-3-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

TMI = Three Mile Island

The containment I refer to would be prestressed concrete structure around the reactors. To the best of my knowledge only one is damaged severely enough that it wont hold pressure and that’s unit 3. There was a sudden pressure spike and then a quick release (the explosion) of the pressure. The fact that its current pressure is unsteady but higher than atmospheric leads me to believe that it is damaged. IF the RV’s on the containment are relieving at intervals it means the damage isnt too bad … if they aren’t then its more severe, but its impossible to tell without a physical inspection.

I don’t think the passive cooling is working on all the units anymore. My understanding is that the passive cooling is only designed to work for a few days … as long as there is water to feed it. I think that’s why they are pumping in seawater to supplement it.

The spent fuel seems to be the most critical issue right now. TEPCO said that the chance is “not zero” that the fuel could become critical but I have no idea what that really means. Based on the information they have does that mean 1 in 10 or 1 in 1,000,000 ….. too many factors to make a guess without more information.

The two sources for radiation at the site are the burps from the containment relief valves and the burning of the spent fuel. The NY Times graph shows this pretty well.

www.nytimes.com...

At first all we saw were the intermittent spikes from the containment RV’s relieving pressure, then as the fuel became exposed and caught fire in units 3 and 4 (I think) the background picked up along with the spikes from the RV’s. I think it would be safe to assume that if they continue to quench the fuel ponds and we still see elevated levels (not including the spikes) then unit 3’s containment may have suffered some really severe damage. If background levels drop off after quenching it would be logical that the containment isnt that bad off.

The pools are just big concrete tubs, I think they are structurally fine even if they are out of water. The helicopters and water trucks are spraying into them. They have to keep some water in them because if the spent fuel gets too hot and they try to quench it, they will have a steam explosion on their hands. Think of a sizzle from dropping something red hot into water, the sizzle is steam forming. With respect to the spent fuel amplify this by six orders of magnitude.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
This is just an idea that just came to me as I watch another report from CCTV the Japaneese News Channel,

They are running through the figures of people confirmed dead and people still un accounted for.....

Lets say that you are someone who owes Inland revenue a big sum of money...you havnt paid your taxes...
You have a huge mortgage to pay off, maybe personal loans, car payments etc.....

Would you yourself take this oppourtunity to literally wipe yourself off the face of the earth leaving all those debts to be un accounted for???

I sure as hell would!!

Just a thought

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by grindhouzer

Now that is a great idea for a thread grindhouzer. I'm sure more than a few people would like to explore that possibility and give their opinions on the matter. It is a good one my friend, take it and run with it before someone else does! Not me, I'm not into it.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Thanks for giving us an idea of what you believe is going on. It is tough to make any kind of determination without knowing a lot more, you're right. That's what this thread is really about. What they are not telling us. I believe they know a lot of answers to the questions that you have raised here but they don't want to let us know for one reason or the other.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join