It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reactor #4 Completely Breached

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Also this "Plutonium does not exist in the natural environment, and is only
produced in nuclear reactors. It is known as one of the most
toxic elements. It emits high energy alpha radiation, and has
harmful biological effects. "

Is utter utter rubbish.

Plutonium is the heaviest primordial element, by virtue of its most stable isotope, plutonium-244, whose half-life of about 80 million years is just long enough for the element to be found in trace quantities in nature.

Edit "most toxic elements" again pure bunkum, when not radioactive plutonium is as toxic as coffee. As mentioned in my prior post
edit on 17-3-2011 by UltraMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Here is one bit of info I've found on #4.

It is from www.telegraph.co.uk... l

The Union of Concerned Scientists, a respected non–governmental group based in the United States, said on its website that the No4 pool was a "particular problem" because the rods were only removed from the reactor in December, during a refuelling operation. "They still have a very high level of radiation and are generating more heat than the spent fuel at the other reactors," the union said.

"Even if the water level was at the top of the fuel rods, the radiation dose to someone at the railing of the pool would give them a lethal dose in well under a minute."

I searched for the website mentioned above and found this on the website regarding #4:

If water cannot be added to the pool, or if the pool has been damaged and is leaking, the fuel may remain uncovered. The exposed fuel can get hot enough to melt, depending on how long it has been out of the reactor. If the fuel melts, it would release significant additional radioactivity into the air.

All things nuclear
edit on 17-3-2011 by OneisOne because: fix link...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Talking of Plutonium, I remember reading in a couple of books about the atomic scientists in the 40s and 50s (Richard Rhodes - Dark Sun being the one I can remember the name of) , with both US and Russian scientists talking about being able to hold a lump of plutonium in their hands. Apparently, it feels warmish due to alpha emission.

I'm quite sure they all lived longer than 5 minutes afterwards also...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by MindSpin

Actually it's MOX thats DEADLY and yes one tiny particle and you are dead within 5 minutes

I hope your right. Cause there are 2 posters that are committing character murder on me, by spreading I am an fear mongerer

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to

Because i have to defend me as an person, i put more article's to prove what I have heard yesterday.
Otherwise I wouldn't go so far for proving i wasn't lying.

I cant stand to be called an fearmongering, because i feel pain an worry about this all. I think my view's are realistic. But my hopes are the same as yours

It is accepted that one millionth of 1 gram of plutonium is sufficient to produce lung cancer 151050 years after initial inhalation of the element. Plutonium is also absorbed from the lungs into the blood stream where it is carried to the liver (to produce a very malignant liver cancer), to bone (where like strontium 90, it causes osteogenic sarcoma and leukaemia), and it is selectively taken up from the circulation by the testes and ovaries where, because of its incredible gene changing properties, it may cause an increased incidence of deformed and diseased babies, both now and in future generations.

edit on 17-3-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I am glad to see that you have disproved your original post with this fact "one millionth of 1 gram of plutonium" is considerable more than one particle isnt it...

Infact if someone can be bothered looking up what 1 mole of plutonium weighs or by dividing out the atomic weight they should be able to tell you exactly how many particles 1g/1,000,000 will be.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

Actually it's MOX thats DEADLY and yes one tiny particle and you are dead within 5 minutes

lol...ok...source?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

No one is denying that plutonium is dangerous or may cause cancer.

But you claimed that "one particle means DEATH". That is a fear mongering statement if there ever was one.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by UltraMind
I am glad to see that you have disproved your original post with this fact "one millionth of 1 gram of plutonium" is considerable more than one particle isnt it...

Infact if someone can be bothered looking up what 1 mole of plutonium weighs or by dividing out the atomic weight they should be able to tell you exactly how many particles 1g/1,000,000 will be.

I think to the human eye, it doesn't matter. If you run around there you get more then one particle on you

But of course go in to detail, because of...? Whats your aganda??

And again, i only said what i heard the day before.

skip to 4:20min

And its snowing now
edit on 17-3-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

In the video above it is stated. that's what i repeated. You are character murderer, and dont contribute in my eyes to the thread

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours

In the video above it is stated. that's what i repeated. You are character murderer, and dont contribute in my eyes to the thread

Alex Jones

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours

Alex Jones

No Mike Adems. By giving this answer, i know very well your intentions. If you watched the vid you knew those words come from the mouth of Mike Adems.

People are dying now, and you keep focussing on my. I did provide the info of my claim.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Yes that is correct, and the likely reason for the fire @ #4 was exposure of spent fuel rods to air, they burst into flames when that happens. Don't listen to me, listen to the USA Nuclear Regulatory Commission's Chairperson Gregory Jaczko

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
So the person states that this irradiated particle of dust enters the body and affects all the cells in the body like an x-ray?

Except of course that plutonium decay product is an alpha particle that can be stopped by a sheet of paper and does not produce beta or gamma radiation.

Still seems like sensationalist over dramatisation to me.

Simply because if that were true then every person in Belarus after chernobyl would be dead now

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by UltraMind
So the person states that this irradiated particle of dust enters the body and affects all the cells in the body like an x-ray?

Except of course that plutonium decay product is an alpha particle that can be stopped by a sheet of paper and does not produce beta or gamma radiation.

Still seems like sensationalist over dramatisation to me.

Simply because if that were true then every person in Belarus after chernobyl would be dead now

From my understanding plutonium is most dangerous to life after it decays into americium-241.
edit on 3/17/2011 by defenestrator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
And the 'scientist' that was quoted was in fact a caller in to the show who states that he was a welder...

My Agenda - preventing out of context, sensationalist, unthoughtful, fear inducement.

Think about what you wrote and how a casual reader may take it. It could appear to the un initiated that a cloud of radioactivity is gonna hit USA in next few days and one breath of it will kill you.

Which blatantly will not happen as I previously said the people of Belarus were 1000 times closer to the incident than USA is to Japan and THEY ARE NOT ALL DEAD.

SO please in future qualify your statements, state your source and consider the consequences of a stupid person reading them.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a "stupid person" see's fear mongering about radiation, whats he gonna do?.. go out and buy a few bottles of iodine pills? lmao

MIndspin, i believe you to be the laziest individual on ATS always asking for sources. while i understand the need for these sources, is it too hard for you to look up anything regarding plutonium to find out for yourself how potentially harmful one gram could be?

heres a source for you about meltdown, maybe since its from Rachel Maddow you'll actually believe it
What is nuclear meltdown

heres something about plutonium

Plutonium is highly toxic. A small amount ingested in a human will result in death. Tthis is not because it is radioactive, it is becuase it is a heavy metal and heavy metals kill living tissues. Other examples include lead mercury, and thallium.

and your source Plutonium

Now take all this as you will, as we all do, when getting information from another human being
edit on 17-3-2011 by Kingbreaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Because spent fuel is still very HOT.

And like I said...I don't think spent fuel can "meltdown" because they are not in active nuclear reaction...they are COOLING DOWN so they can be stored.

OK so you understand that spent fuel can get very hot. Good.

Also understand that if it gets too hot, the spend fuel rods will in fact melt, releasing dangerous amounts of radiation. Easy.

Perhaps you should do some reading instead of simply asking everyone for sources or calling them out.

All I've heard you say is "I don't think" or "I've never heard that before". I think it's you with a lack of knowledge here, sorry.

edit on 17/3/11 by GobbledokTChipeater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

There are two types of "Meltdowns" the one type which is most definately not happening at the plant in Japan is the uncontrolled fission of fuel, unless the control rods are removed this type will not happen in Japan. The other type is more of a thermal reaction, the rods have a lot of heat in them and if not kept cooled they will heat up to point the containment barrier fails and the rods melt, this will give off radiation and but is not as dangerous as the first type. Eventually the rods will melt through the floor of the core and drop into the earth, this could mean they would then start a reaction again as the control rods would not be between them anymore.

Hope this answers your question.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join