It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

According to the government some are too poor to marry!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Cambodia is now blocking marriages from American men to Cambodian women unless said man makes a minimum of $30,000 dollars a year and be under the age of 50.
Though Personally I think people should make enough money to live on before getting married or having children-it is a bit chilling to see a country enforce a standard of income.

Cambodia : US Embassy

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I wonder what the primary motivation behind the law is?

Is it to prevent the poor from procreation? (out of wedlock pregnancies would circumvent that).

The motivation and goal of the law is the real conspiracy here...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

Me and my wife where quite poor when we got married to each other, but we both decided not to have children until we made an adequate income for the child to live in a comfortable setting. However I might think it be to have children while not making enough money, I don't believe the government should be stepping in and making decisions for people. There have been some great minds that where born into poverty and made it out. I mean look at Oprah (i'm not sure she fits into the great minds category), she was born into a very poor family and now shes one of the richest women on the planet.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Maybe they need to get rid their mail order bride services to American men.

I know this sounds bad but I know of many men over 50 who get brides from places like Cambodia, Thailand and the Philippines and it is pretty cheap and easy.

So maybe this is a good thing?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Maybe they need to get rid their mail order bride services to American men.

I know this sounds bad but I know of many men over 50 who get brides from places like Cambodia, Thailand and the Philippines and it is pretty cheap and easy.

So maybe this is a good thing?

Haha, very very good point.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
that is just atrocious. Money shouldn't be a requirement for marriage.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by stormrider26

Money is like the biggest requirement for marriage dude, or at least if your male then its pretty much what it comes down to. The whole thing is based on it at the core, and it's even derived from biological survival reasons. And also in this money driven society that is what it comes down to in the end...money.

From the link in the op.

According to new marriage requirements issued on by the Government of Cambodia on March 7, 2011, male U.S. citizens wishing to marry Cambodian women must: Be under 50 years of age, and Have a monthly income of at least US $2,500

I wonder whats up? Must be all the people who take advantage of the whole mail order bride thing. Either that or there fed up with all the cheep bastards who go there for there brides, and for the cheep thrills.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by stormrider26
that is just atrocious. Money shouldn't be a requirement for marriage.

Why not? I think the #1 reason for married people fighting is finances...

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Money is like the biggest requirement for marriage

For centuries, it was the ONLY requirement.

This idea of marriage for love is a MODERN idea...most marriages of the past were for political and monetary reasons or alliances.

Avoiding mail order brides may indeed be the motivation, though I'd think that would be more of a boon for the state, than a hindrance... The motive is really hard to pin down.

Usually, a marriage is a GOOD thing for improving two peoples' quality of life...as you could have two incomes supporting one household. (these days). I know that together, my wife and I have a better standard of living than either of us would have solo....

top topics

join