It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

UK Next...? Tsunami Threat & Nuclear Reactor Meltdown

page: 2
18
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
OP has definetly made a case here. I applaued his efforts bigtime. I was looking at a map another OP posted just the other day. The reactors of the continental U.S. in perspective. I noticed that not one was anywhere near yellowstone. I believe the same caution should be used in relation to shoreline. Tsunamis definetly threaten the continueity of nuclear power. Nuclear power is definetly a threat to the environment.

Excellent thread. SnF

Damn it. Why did I have to be the 11th flag?

edit on 17-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)


Thanks. Time and again over the last few decades, there have been many voices calling for a stop to, or reversal of, the situating of nuclear power stations in low lying coastal areas or near ocean floor fault zones.

We should be holding the nuclear industry and government to account. What is unfolding in Japan is a crime against humanity and it should not be allowed to happen ever again.

We need a serious international debate, at the UN, about our future as a species on this planet and a ban or moratorium on further building, commissioning or activation of nuclear power plants in these areas before we render large swathes of this planet uninhabitable.




posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle

Originally posted by the.lights

Tsunami's eat nuclear reactors like that for breakfast.

Seriously - that thing is a sitting duck - just asking for a good walloping.

Excellent thread OP, the entire Parliament should be forced to read it!!


Agreed. I posted that picture because it is a sitting duck. If you look it up on Google Earth you can see Oldbury. And crucially, it is at the apex of the estuary where the channel narrows dramatically, so if it a tsunami or storm surge should hit, the wave would be amplified.

I welcome anyone to invite an MP to read this thread. At the very least, we here in the UK deserve, a clear, transparent, open, honest and realistic debate about where our nuclear power stations are located and if we can afford to run the risks described.



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by reg
 


hi reg,
hmmm weird - i posted the link earlier without any probs, but now i'm getting the same as you


if i remember correctly, there were about 17 stations throughout the uk, all of em right on the coastline... the map also showed the top right hand corner of france nearest us, i think there was about 3 or 4 - again right on the coast

i'm annoyed that map's no longer available to people, although a google search might bring another site up with it all on there... i'll check later



posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by pattonisit
reply to post by reg
 


hi reg,
hmmm weird - i posted the link earlier without any probs, but now i'm getting the same as you


if i remember correctly, there were about 17 stations throughout the uk, all of em right on the coastline... the map also showed the top right hand corner of france nearest us, i think there was about 3 or 4 - again right on the coast

i'm annoyed that map's no longer available to people, although a google search might bring another site up with it all on there... i'll check later


Perhaps TPTB noticed higher than usual traffic to that site, possibly because it has sensitive info and they threw this up to restrict access..? Very interesting.


Did you watch the Youtube links yet?
edit on 18-3-2011 by the.lights because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle

Originally posted by the.lights

Tsunami's eat nuclear reactors like that for breakfast.

Seriously - that thing is a sitting duck - just asking for a good walloping.

Excellent thread OP, the entire Parliament should be forced to read it!!


True, looks like that thing would be pretty vulnerable if we have a rise in sea levels. I dont know what the solution is. The UK is facing an energy crisis within the next 10 years, if we get rid of nuclear we will be facing blackouts and wont be able to compete in the global economy. I just dont understand why we build these things in such precarious locations with such low safety standards. We seem to be our own worst enemies



posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by the.lights
 


yea, i guess you're right about that, otherwise why do what they've done?

sorry, not yet... i'm on a crappy ancient imac atm & vids don't play great, but i'll def watch them later today at my bf's house, thx



posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by the.lights
 


And let's not forget what would happen in the event of a big solar flare knowcking out power in several places around the world, maybe leaving us without electricity for many weeks or months in the case of totally fried circuits. All it would take to potentially wipe out large swathes of mankind would be several nuclear power plants going into meltdown .



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicpixie
reply to post by the.lights
 


And let's not forget what would happen in the event of a big solar flare knowcking out power in several places around the world, maybe leaving us without electricity for many weeks or months in the case of totally fried circuits. All it would take to potentially wipe out large swathes of mankind would be several nuclear power plants going into meltdown .


You hit the nail on the head cosmicpixie. We are at real risk of being thrown into the dark ages with a particularly nasty solar flare knocking out satellites, power circuits and the like.

I hadn't considered the potential impact of a solar flare on a nuclear power plant. Does anyone know the potential ramification of this?
edit on 20-3-2011 by the.lights because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Whoa, Jan 20th is my birthday, and i always had a fear of water when i was young and have terrible nightmares about tsunamis all the time. Could i have drowned in 1607? My past life? Hmmmmm....



posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
BUMP

Good Thread S+F an protest has started there to stop the next reactors.

Have put a thread in breaking news Here: Hinkley Point protest: Blockade at nuclear power station And linked this thread, good presentation.

Kind Regards,

Elf



posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by boo1981

Originally posted by Lucifer84
I have heard if we were to flood in the UK anything below Luton would drown.

Never really thought about the pollution from the nuclear plants until this Japan quake.


Wow

Were did you hear that? I'm in Luton!


It's because of the way the whole Island tips. Any real flood and all that tip of England is buggered.



new topics

top topics



 
18
<< 1   >>

log in

join