It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Project Path of Radiation Plume

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

A United Nations forecast of the possible movement of the radioactive plume coming from crippled Japanese reactors shows it churning across the Pacific, and touching the Aleutian Islands on Thursday before hitting Southern California late Friday.

Health and nuclear experts emphasize that radiation in the plume will be diluted as it travels and, at worst, would have extremely minor health consequences in the United States

The forecast assumes that radioactivity in Japan is released continuously and forms a rising plume. It ends with the plume heading into Southern California and the American Southwest, including Nevada, Utah and Arizona. The plume would have continued eastward if the United Nations scientists had run the projection forward.

www.nytimes.com...

Well it looks like the run on potassium iodide was warranted.

I will definitely be keeping an eye on this site.
radiationnetwork.com...

edit on 17-3-2011 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Looks like it should be reaching the west coast about the time I get off of work. I have my Radiac running background is between 4.5 - 5 Micro-roengtens per hour.,

Just gonna have to wait and see what happens.
edit on 17-3-2011 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
LINK

Another site to watch

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Personally I don't know how anyone can predict what the levels will be when it hits Southern California. There are too many factors involved, I would imagine. Wind speed would play a factor I would think, and I imagine that if there was rain along the way it should reduce the amount that reaches the coast. I really don't know. Hopefully someone with more knowledge regarding radiation will come along.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by raiders247

Thank you. That site is better than the one I posted.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

The Govt. has extremely accurate computer programs that are designed for just such a situation that take into account every possible detail to project quarentine zones.

But I have not seen or heard of any being released to the public.

I am just going off of what my radiation detector is saying. As I said we will just have to wait and see.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

Health and nuclear experts emphasize that radiation in the plume will be diluted as it travels and, at worst, would have extremely minor health consequences in the United States, even if hints of it are ultimately detectable. In a similar way, radiation from the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 spread around the globe and reached the West Coast of the United States in 10 days, its levels measurable but minuscule.

NY Times

Minor health consequences????
Some of may have cancer developing in our bodies this very minute from radiation that we received within the last 25 years because of Chernobyl. Difficult to prove individually, but 100% certain to have happened to some people.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
derstandard.at...

derstandard.at... rlauf-der-Strahlungswolken

Austrian, but showing realtime distribution of (i believe) cesium 137 count, from Japan over the pacific.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I grew up directly downwind from a nuclear power plant here in NE Ohio. That area is a hotspot for cancer. Several of my own family members have gotten cancer, and I lost my mother to cancer. I have never bought into the whole "nuclear power is safe" bit that they feed us. I am of the mindset that these power plants leak low levels of radiation even with all the precautions that are in place.

Further, after they built the plant here in NE Ohio they discovered it sits directly on a fault line. How reassuring.

top topics

join