It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dry Ice to Help cool the Japanese Nuclear Meltdown-- Almost Freeze the seawater as it's applied

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
First time poster with eyes on the disaster unfolding in Japan. Devastation there has surpassed unimaginable and is headed to inconceivable in a hurry. In the day in age of distracting viral videos and hollywood, I pray this post finds its way through that atrocious maze to help all those in harms way. By no means is this a solution to the problem, but I believe it can be an immediate application to attempt cooling in the meltdown to doomsday. We need to at least attempt to lower the temperature of the seawater flooding the containment vessels. This should be easily deduced to the point of how much of a dry ice core is needed at the center of the flooding pipes/hoses to almost freeze the water applied. Also could be added to helicopter dumps. Sure this may only change the water by 30 degrees or so, but right now I feel every idea is needed. Godspeed to all those in harms way. We need ideas now people. Time to focus. What about divide and conquer? Can we find a way to siphon off small amounts of the nuclear pool enabling temperature to be managed more effectively. There is a solution people.... find it!

Dry Ice Facts from Wiki

Plumbers use equipment that forces pressurised liquid CO2 into a jacket around a pipe; the dry ice formed causes the water to freeze, forming an ice plug, allowing them to perform repairs without turning off the water mains. This technique can be used on pipes up to 4 in (100 mm) in diameter.[22]

Dry ice is also useful for the de-gassing of flammable vapours from storage tanks — the sublimation of dry ice pellets inside an emptied and vented tank causes an outrush of CO2 that carries with it the flammable vapours.[28]

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Good idea. The first nuclear dry ice bomb. That was a joke.
It's really a good idea. Good luck freezing sea water though.
I wish I knew more about dry ice. I just used it to blow s..t up.
I wonder how much dry Ice would be needed to make a difference there.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by zulazulu

Please post your idea or opinions to one of the many threads that cover the Japaneses issues,

Thread closed / removed

Sauron
Super-Moderator

join