It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY TIMES Radioactive Plume forcast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Interactive map,

www.nytimes.com...

With the radiation levels rising and hardly no info on what's hitting the jetstream or what is even about to come out of them reactors, no wonder people are hoarding pills and are nervous.

This map shows where the jetstream is predicted to go Friday. Problem is there could be a whole lot nastier stuff in it the days following that.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
star and flag

mainstream is now giving map forecasts of the radiation..

looks like it is significant amounts too

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I think it is important to also add this part of the article:

A forecast by the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organization shows how weather patterns this week might disperse radiation from a continuous source in Fukushima, Japan. The forecast does not show actual levels of radiation, but it does allow the organization to estimate when different monitoring stations, marked with small dots, might be able to detect extremely low levels of radiation. Health and nuclear experts emphasize that any plume will be diluted as it travels and, at worst, would have extremely minor health consequences in the United States.

SOURCE

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by kermithermit111

The map in NO WAY predicts any radiation. Only the jet stream.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

It clearly shows suspected radiation levels. Recheck it.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I live south of CAP 14 Salinas , CA. Am I safe??

edit on 17-3-2011 by splint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
fun and interactive map that was! that was really awseome! its extremely low level radiation, minute at most. ide DEF be concerned IF the reactors have completely gone into visible meltdown, as cherynoble did. thats when you need to worry alot.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

Ok, well if I were to go by this map, in seach of the safest place to be. It looks like................Japan !
Is the safest place to be right now!

I remember for the longest time they were giving away trips to ................Japan!
on The Newly Wed Game.
edit on 17-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Well not really because the low level winds could disperse stuff all around the immediate area of Japan, and that is not what this map is trying to show.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Well here's their projection for tomorrow:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5d1a4423bdef.jpg[/atsimg] [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3fecdeb9597d.jpg[/atsimg]

If that huge body of radiation were to be blown directly over the land I can't imagine the results being too good.

edit on 17-3-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by WhizPhiz

"at worst, would have extremely minor health consequences in the United States."

I'm in San Fransisco and from everything that I have read from reliable sources there is nothing to get all worked up about. Does everything have to be about the USA lulz.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

Ok I guess you didn't..... nevermind.
Ya, well look at the bright side. In this case the bright glowing green side. We won't have to get our teeth x-rayed at the dentist anymore.

Just think of the money we're going to save on shampoo.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BLKMJK

That prediction is only for what they know is in the air that will hit Friday.
If they cannot do anything more than pass 4 helicopter baths on it before they had to quit, all of the spent fuel stored there will be on fire before long, and that forcast will be out the window. A lot more radiation on the way seems inevitable at this point unless they are covering up good news of a working ongoing containment method and they have it all under control, which would be a first in news suppression history.

The comment of "does everything have to be about the US" is out of place simple USA hate mongering you are trying to inject into the thread.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
The most important part of this should be "The forecast does not show actual levels of radiation, but it does allow the organization to estimate when different monitoring stations, marked with small dots, might be able to detect extremely low levels of radiation." It could be more or could be as advertised but I think Japan has not been fully honest on this and for that I believe it is a lot worse.
Source

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I'm in San Diego, and I'm not liking this one bit. Perhaps just something I should keep my eye on.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
There's a similar map on this Austrian website::

English Translated Link
at zamg.ac.at
(Still doesn't really say what the actual radiation units are for the plume.)

Here's another map of radiation levels by prefecture in Japan:
Japan Radiation Maximum by Prefecture

edit on 17-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: added info

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I'm not worried about this first round of radiation, I'm worried about what's coming up in about 7 - 10 days or so, when the radiation from all the explosions has had time to accumulate.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
While I don't think the U.S. mainland is entirely untouchable from this event, I feel that the probability of actual radiation sickness coming to anyone inside the U.S. is pretty nil. It could possibly happen, but all the data and my intuitions tell me that this is highly unlikely. I'm just sticking to my regular routine of popping ascorbic acid and drinking a lot of tea. Until I have reason to think the situation is serious, I'll not be trying to ghetto-rig me some potassium iodine.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
It's almost if some ATS members WANT this radiation to hit the west coast.

I don't know if it is from some twisted mind set of wanting to see disaster, which I think is true for some, or if it is people just wanting to say "told you so".

Grasping on to ANYTHING that will confirm their own beliefs and ignore all other facts. :shk:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin
It's almost if some ATS members WANT this radiation to hit the west coast.

I don't know if it is from some twisted mind set of wanting to see disaster, which I think is true for some, or if it is people just wanting to say "told you so".

Grasping on to ANYTHING that will confirm their own beliefs and ignore all other facts. :shk:

Fact - first detectable radiation will be here Friday carried by the winds
Fact - radiation released is increasing in intensity over time
Fact - no working solution to cool the spent nuclear fuel is being implemented at this time, which will lead to the openly exposed piles catching on fire and releasing massive amounts of radiation into the atmosphere.
What fact is being ignored?
I'd say some people are desperately being ignorant of the facts in a bid to downplay the severity of events.

I'll make a prediction, nobody is going to be drinking California wine for the next decade. Who is going to want to consume goods grown on contaminated soil?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join