It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack of common sense/logic in posts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Maka213

See? Value is in the perception.

Just bear in mind, you're either part of the solution for a perceived problem or...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

You never really know with me.Maybe by the end of it, i'll be the one needing medication.I shall do my best to abide by the rules though.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Maka213

That's all we ask.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The faster you realize that ATS isn't a place to come to get your facts and accurate information, the better.

I'd rather watch the MSM at this point...they may not give you all the information...but they don't give you overloads of complete garbage that you have to pick your way through.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin
The faster you realize that ATS isn't a place to come to get your facts and accurate information, the better.

I'd rather watch the MSM at this point...they may not give you all the information...but they don't give you overloads of complete garbage that you have to pick your way through.

I do indeed realize it now for sure.I decided to abandon the search for truth and settle for laughs and giggles instead.To be honest,the dolphin thread is keeping me amused so i guess that will do me just fine for right now.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
But look at the number of flags those silly threads get. The masses get what the masses want. At least they get moved to skunkworks.

Not everyone who logs in to ATS is interested in truth. What then shall we do? A psych test at the point of joining?

I hate the dolphin and zombie posts as much as anyone - and yes they're distasteful, but what can we really do about them? Aren't we on this site in part because we are afraid of censorship elsewhere?

If no T&C breaches are made, then surely they should have their freedom. It just sucks that they get so much air time - but then perhaps we should consider use our flags a lot more on normal/sensible/honest threads?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Maka213

Yep, ATS has become a place for entertainment.

ATS is to "news and information" as WWE is to wrestling. Fake...but fun to watch.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

[color=dodgerblue]
I couldn't agree more.

I have also been noticing that people aren't using external source tags. They are also posting videos with no summary or opinion.

Its annoying.
edit on 17-3-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

While taking anything on face value can be disasterous, I think its only fair to mention that in combination with all the available news media, this site does offer something which is unique in my expirience. It offers a place to share all the data that users accumulate from local, regional, and national news in thier area. Therefore as a place to compile data from various sources into a cohesive whole , it could be said that this site is in fact very important.
I personaly benifit greatly from monitoring the differences between the way international news is reported around the world, and comparing the views expressed in the news media of the globe.
Comparing the information put out by the US and UK governments on like topics is often interesting, because the gaps in the stories are different dependant on region, and the political emphasis, and evident propegandism differ. By careful observation, a canny user can examine all reportage on a single topic, in one place. This means that a more worldly veiw can be taken on a given subject, all sides of a debate explored, and informed choices about ones own position can be more effectively made, using this sites collaberative ethos, and the fruits of our collective labours, as a guide to the truth.
Obviously ,discerning for ones self the truth of a matter involves far more than access to multiple data sources. requiring as it does a modicum of intellectual capacity which is seperate from the data being fed to the mind, but none the less, the ability to observe all the feeds of information which flow through this site, does offer one a more informed position from which to deliberate, and I value that service greatly.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Who knows,in my spare time at work today maybe i'll come up with an entertaining idea for a thread.I need to get some of these stars and flags and see what all the hype is about.The funniest part was when i was laughing at the dolphin thread my wife looked at me and asked "what's so funny" and i responded "i'm reading a thread about dolphins and whales being responsible for the earthquake and tsunami in Japan".The look on her face was priceless.She may now be plotting to have me committed.If you don't hear from me after today it means she had me sent to the puzzle factory.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

In my opinion stupid threads aren't an issue. I am more worried about the alarmist and fear mongering threads

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Well, so long as other people's speculation and typos evidently give some of you the satisfaction of percieving yourselves to be so utterly superior, why censor?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt

Originally posted by TrueBrit
What I find so peturbatory about some posts, specificaly ones pertaining to the risks of nuclear devastation that may arise from the Japan Disaster, and in more general terms throughout the site, is that the fallacies being assumed by some posters, and OP's , would make themselves clear to those making the errors if they had but rudimentary understanding of the science that they are talking about.
I can assure you , I have no qualifications in the subjects often discussed here, but I have acquired along the road of my life, accurate and widely available information on many subjects, across many feilds. While I understand that because of that, my word holds little weight, I can at least discern ideas of significant merit, from worries surrounding falsehoods. This should be the norm here, and when I first joined, it very much seemed that way.
Nowadays, it does seem as if the general knowledge of some posters and OP's is lacking in the sharp edge which makes the difference between flailing paranoia and informed concern, and although I believe it is important that everybody who has something to say, has the chance to say it, I also believe that outright refusal to re-evaluate ones position when informed by those who have knowledge as well as logic and sense, is detrimental to the cause of denying ignorance, and is RIFE amongst some sectors of the membership.
That said, its important that informed members prevent themselves from becoming aloof when faced with fallacies and confusion. It is by no means the case, that the majority of ill informed posters are incapable of altering thier perceptions to fit reality. In many ways the voicing of flawed opinion is a beacon, a request for new data from some members. I would advocate a friendly and understanding approach when dealing with a clearly under informed post or OP.

Such eloquence and intelligence is a rare pleasure on this site these days.

Originaly posted by Brindle

Could this thread be the sign of a whole new world forming?

Lets hope so!

This used to be the norm around here.. it all went down 2010 and 2011 in my opinion.

I don't spend as much time here as I used to, which is sad because there is no substitute to the greatness this site used to offer.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Maka213

oops. lol. i was on my phone... it has swype... kind of a pain.. but, where are your spaces after the periods? lol

it's always been this way, it's just getting worse. with ats being mentioned in the media over that last months, membership has increased. it's a gift and a curse. we've gotten some people who do a fine job, and others who... well, not so fine.. i've also several fairly new members, since november or so, progress into decent posters, i COULD name a few, i won't, whose posts i avoided like the plague for a while. sometimes it just takes.. well..time.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
There is one more reason I can think of to keep the status quo of letting anybody in, and having little censorship beyond the essential T&C's. And that is anonymity and the image of being inconsequential.

What I'm saying, is that the more nutty membership postings there are here, the easier to become lost in the crowd. While I'm not deeply paranoid, or having anything personally to hide, I do like the idea of being ignored by TPTB. And when there are thousands of posts on here, and most conversation may be inconsequential, any posts of deep merit and use will be nicely camouflaged amidst it all.

Sure, it doesn't help this site's credibility - but really that is my point exactly :-) The site appears to be harmless entertainment, which is largely what many of its users already perceive it to be anyway. Meanwhile, ATS can remain near the cutting edge of breaking news, and leaked useful information can pop up here from time to time too. But yes, it's a mission to sift through the mess to decide what is what. And my hat off to those who do excellent debunking by deductive reasoning.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join