It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a dam near you? If so do you have a escape plan?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Not sure where to put this thread so mods help.

Anyway I've created this thread as a reminder to alert you and make sure that you have a escape plan in case a dam near you breaks. In light of what happened in Japan we can't be sure that our dams are strong enuff to survive a big earthquake. So it wouldn't hurt to be prepared.

Here's the list of all dams in U.S.
en.m.wikipedia.org...

Make sure to check it out and know your area.

Note:
Please don't take this as a fearmonger. This is a big concern of mine.

Thanks
Edmc2
edit on 17-3-2011 by edmc^2 because: scape - escape

edit on 17-3-2011 by edmc^2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I do remember reading somwhere that if Grand Coulee where to burst Portland oregon would be under 40 feet of water. Because it would take out all the dams below it also.
It is only about 45 miles up river from the epicenter of this quake. Another one like that and most of the northwest can say goodye to light switches

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 17-3-2011 by Fritzthecat because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2011 by Fritzthecat because: spelling error

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fritzthecat
I do remember reading somwhere that if Grand Coulie where to burst Portland oregon would be under 40 feet of water. Because it would take out all the dams below it also.

Man - that would be the worst scenario - 40 feet of water.

Interesting thing is I can't find Grand Coulie in the list. I need to look into this more.

thanks for the info.

What's the evac plan "if" it happens?

edit on 17-3-2011 by edmc^2 because: evac plan

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

en.wikipedia.org...

Creates Franklin Delano Roosevelt Lake
Banks Lake
Capacity 9,562,000 acre·ft (12 km3)
Active capacity 5,185,400 acre·ft (6 km3)
Catchment area 74,100 sq mi (191,918 km2)
Surface area 125 sq mi (324 km2)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Yes I do live by a dam.

As for an escape plan? Kiss my ass goodbye

S&F

edit on 17-3-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
Yes I do live by a dam.

As for an escape plan? Kiss my ass goodbye

S&F

edit on 17-3-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

Better have a boat nearby - just in case

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fritzthecat
reply to post by edmc^2

en.wikipedia.org...

Creates Franklin Delano Roosevelt Lake
Banks Lake
Capacity 9,562,000 acre·ft (12 km3)
Active capacity 5,185,400 acre·ft (6 km3)
Catchment area 74,100 sq mi (191,918 km2)
Surface area 125 sq mi (324 km2)

Thanks for the info - how far is it from the shorlines?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
these few reservoirsin northern california come to mind and have always troubled me somewhat...lake berryessa, lake shasta, lake oroville, new melones reservoir, lake don pedro, san luis reservoir... any of the dams fail on these lakes you can bet a few towns will be swept away. Some are near bigger cities or flow directly through the heart of towns downstream from the dam with 200,000 +residents in some areas. Especially in the sacramento and modesto area. As a kid growing up in the north bay area I always imagined Monticello Dam on lake berryessa going down with the town of winters being completely swept out then davis washing out into the delta past dixon, rio vista , and vacaville .. probably why i didnt mind moving to the valley being farther from the fault lines. Just couldnt espape the fact im still downstream of one of the bigger bodies of water being heald back by a man made wall.. lol doesnt make me sleep any better at night.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by gloomyblue707
these few reservoirsin northern california come to mind and have always troubled me somewhat...lake berryessa, lake shasta, lake oroville, new melones reservoir, lake don pedro, san luis reservoir... any of the dams fail on these lakes you can bet a few towns will be swept away. Some are near bigger cities or flow directly through the heart of towns downstream from the dam with 200,000 +residents in some areas. Especially in the sacramento and modesto area. As a kid growing up in the north bay area I always imagined Monticello Dam on lake berryessa going down with the town of winters being completely swept out then davis washing out into the delta past dixon, rio vista , and vacaville .. probably why i didnt mind moving to the valley being farther from the fault lines. Just couldnt espape the fact im still downstream of one of the bigger bodies of water being heald back by a man made wall.. lol doesnt make me sleep any better at night.

I'm around 10 miles from Folsom Lake dam - so now you know why the concern.

Thanks for the info - need to update my escape plan.
edit on 17-3-2011 by edmc^2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil...
there is the map for the dams on the columbia river.
its in prime earthquake country too, but no worrys i live above it in elivation, It would wipe out everything below it. be a huge wave for 300 miles taking out dam after dam building with all that water too.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

i am unfortunately in thesan joaquin valley about 20 feet in elevation so pretty much screwed if it washed out past oakdale... i for one am hoping the newer dam built in the early - mid 80s holds it back... that sierra nevada water could be a bitch sometimes... and colddddd dammm cold.. i also wonder if a smaller rock dam failed further up the mountains it may cause a domino effect and topple one after another till it washed out on the valley floor exiting via the california delta dumping into the bay after washing out nearly everything in its path.. my ocean kayak isnt gonna get very far im thinking. wish me luck in case we do get some rumblin soon...

new topics

top topics

join