It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potassium Iodide Alternatives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Hi I am new here so please take it easy on me. These are scary times and I hope that I can help in some way. I was worried about not finding any potassium iodide drops or tablets but I found out something interesting.

Did you know Flintstones chewables has potassium iodide? It will say Iodine 150 mcg and in the ingredients it will say Potassium Iodide. (150 mcg was the recommended amount per day right?)

www.riteaidonlinestore.com...

Also, most multi vitamin pills will have 150 mcg of potassium iodide, like Centrum.

I was at Henry's tonight and they were out of the Potassium Iodide drops and tablets, but the woman that worked there showed me all the other, many, bottles of multi vitamin liquids and tablets that had everything you should be taking, plus the much wanted Potassium Iodide.

Please check for yourself and just don't take my word for it. I hope this helps some.

Please take care.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this, i was just thinking the same thing -- what are the alternatives.

I went to go buy potassium iodide from the vitamin shoppe on saturday night before this got out in the MSM ... but they did not have any in stock ... so i went to go order online the next day, and of course, they're back ordered.

when i told sales person why i was stocking up, he looked at me like i was crazy, however he did point out that kelp supplements are a great substitute for iodide ... so one would think that you could simply take that plus a potassium supplement? (please correct me if i'm wrong as i'm certainly no chemistry major)

the point it, it looks like there are alternatives burried in places that we'd never consider ... just like your Flintstones tabs.

nice find, S&F.

[EDIT - make that "F" only, forgot, no stars in the intro forum!]
edit on 17-3-2011 by AJ1123TKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TaeKwonMoe

www.sourcenaturals.com...
$18.50 for 120 tablets
$35.50 for 240 tablets

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I think you need milligram not micrograms, am no good with math so its probably like having to take 25,000 pills a day or something, lol. Just guessing here.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
So basically Centrum is the safest Vitamin since you can take it everyday just because you feel like it. Unlike the Potassium Iodide you have to be Radio-logically contaminated, because if your not contaminated then it could probably do more harm than good.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Sigh... Please do not recommend alternatives to Potassium Iodide - radiation pills - unless you know what you are talking about. A little research would uncover the necessary information. What we do not need is more misleading, or flat wrong information floating around to confuse those who already are.

Start here: CDC facts

and here: NRC facts

and here: Potassium Iodide facts

Good intententions, but more research before posting suggestions that have to do with peoples health and safety would be wise, no?

edit on 17-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Ok first off I said take it easy on me....second, I said "Please check for yourself and just don't take my word for it. I hope this helps some."

For people in Japan a Flintstone's tablet will obviously not work, for people like me in San Diego, 150 mcg will be better than nothing because I don't take any supplements at the moment and since the actual drops and tablets are hard to come by.

Please, less snark-ism and just help and direction is appreciated.

Heck, I am apologizing before a flame war starts. It isn't about who's right, who's wrong. I am just starting a conversation about what to do since most of the people around me have no clue as to what could be coming over the pacific much less what Potassium Iodide is. I am just learning about this substance....it's just all new to me. Thanks for your help and input.

edit on 17-3-2011 by TaeKwonMoe because: Just on edge, my original comment was harsh.....

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Hi TaeKwonMoe, and welcome to the ATS Introductions Forum, this forum is confined to introductions only.

The Introduction Forum is for introductions To tell something about you; not to start a thread about a topic.“Intro threads” that are really “topic threads” will be removed.
Please Review, Welcome to ATS, it’s time to introduce yourself.

You are more than welcome to post a new introduction thread about you, if you wish.

For now, you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive PM (private messages) to Staff only.
However, once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive PM's to and from fellow ATS members.

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Terms & Conditions

If you feel ATS must be made aware of a story please use the complain / suggestion feature located in Tools and get the full attention of the entire Staff.

Thread closed / removed

Sauron,
Member & Super-Moderator.

top topics

join