It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How serious is the Normalcy Bias in the United States.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I would like to mention the Normalcy Bias;

For those of you who don't even know what the Normalcy Bias, please allow me to quote Wickipedia:

Normalcy bias

Normalcy bias From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

The normalcy bias refers to a mental state people enter when facing a disaster. It causes people to underestimate both the possibility of a disaster occurring and its possible effects. This often results in situations where people fail to adequately prepare for a disaster, and on a larger scale, the failure of the government to include the populace in its disaster preparations. The assumption that is made in the case of the normalcy bias is that since a disaster never has occurred that it never will occur. It also results in the inability of people to cope with a disaster once it occurs. People with a normalcy bias have difficulties reacting to something they have not experienced before. People also tend to interpret warnings in the most optimistic way possible, seizing on any ambiguities to infer a less serious situation.

Possible causes: The normalcy bias may be caused in part by the way the brain processes new data. Research suggests that even when the brain is calm, it takes 8–10 seconds to process new information. Stress slows the process, and when the brain cannot find an acceptable response to a situation, it fixates on a single solution that may or may not be correct. An evolutionary reason for this response could be that paralysis gives an animal a better chance of surviving an attack; predators are less likely to eat prey that isn't struggling.

Effects: The normalcy bias often results in unnecessary deaths in disaster situations. The lack of preparation for disasters often leads to inadequate shelter, supplies, and evacuation plans. Even when all these things are in place, individuals with a normalcy bias often refuse to leave their homes. Studies have shown that more than 70% of people check with others before deciding to evacuate. The normalcy bias also causes people to drastically underestimate the effects of the disaster. Therefore, they think that everything will be all right, while information from the radio, television, or neighbors gives them reason to believe there is a risk. This creates a cognitive dissonance that they then must work to eliminate. Some manage to eliminate it by refusing to believe new warnings coming in and refusing to evacuate (maintaining the normalcy bias), while others eliminate the dissonance by escaping the danger. The possibility that some may refuse to evacuate causes significant problems in disaster planning.

Is this something to be concerned about? I feel it is. I experience individuals who are in this mind state every day in fact, and I'm sure most of you do as well. I wanted to get some light on this subject, and I would like to see what types of points can be made.

TWBU

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I contend that the normalcy bias kicked into effect big time with the dropping of the bomb on Hiroshima. It was proved to one and all that the human race now had the power to destroy it' self, and then we read the Sunday comics.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Hello again I am in az. and replied to another thread you had also! I am gearing up and amazed at the everyday go lucky attitude people here are havbing I call it bulls### I feel things are awrong and I called red cross they are b, s, ing me all the way!!! Claimed they don't stockpile iodide and have no preparations for us either in fact she went sileent on most the hard hitting questions I Did ask! I cannot find iodide anywhere and I bought 2 masks raincovers, gnc vitamins with 150mcg in them and considring plastic and duct tape for the near future events

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I think there are many off shoots to the normalcy bias in terms of the way people process information that is disconcerting. For instance, a huge conspiracy is uncovered such as the dumping of toxic waste into the rivers and it has potential to kill thousands of people and it is a real concern yet some people will just blow it off and others will steer away from that body of water completely. I may be confusing normalcy bias with denial but I see it kinda intertwined

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
When I am faced with an emergency I often have to sit for a spell to rationalize my options. This must be because I have "normalcy bias"; either that or I am a calm and rational person.

However, sometimes it is best to let some crises sit for a spell rather than jump into them with fear or urgency.

For instance, my rabbit is sick and possibly with infection, I wasn't too sure what I wanted to do about it or how I should help him overcome this. I let it sit for a spell and I managed to walk through my options; I agreed that the following day I could manage the task at hand much easier. Fortunately the resolution was better served the next day as I had a second set of hands to hold the rabbit while I washed him. He is a very old rabbit (5 years old) and I feel he will at least now be comfortable regardless of the outcome. Poor thing!

Rabbits typically only live to be 6 years old and any infection usually takes them right away. My rabbit may or may not recover, but the crisis part is over and he and I both can relax a bit. The inevitable cannot be avoided either way but the initial frustration was best served by waiting.

I am sure that some people might have freaked and rushed off to an emergency clinic, spending hundreds of dollars on an old rabbit and ultimately facing the same end results. I am glad I just let this wait for the day to pass before I attempted my administrations.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by condition9

Hello condition9. I apologize for not replying to your last post. To answer your initial question, I currently reside in Phx, hence my background pic, "lights over phx 1997". I am currently developing some evacuation plans with family members which include leaving the metropolitan area if needed. Please focus on finding facts for yourself, and sometimes you can't look within your own borders. For example a informative site based out of hungry can help keep you up to date on specific events in the world abroad. It is good you're concerned, but it's time to play a game which the Grateful Dead used to call "Take a step back". What I mean by this is there are many alternative and natural ways to build your immunities, and protect you towards excessive radiation exposure. See here

TWBU

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by condition9

Did you go out and buy yourself some Kelp? I got myself a big bag of it and have been enjoying Miso Soup everyday since the disaster. I feel better about the entire ordeal in at least I know my Iodine levels are at their peak.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

That's a very interesting example to make. I thank you for that

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by agentblue
I think there are many off shoots to the normalcy bias in terms of the way people process information that is disconcerting. For instance, a huge conspiracy is uncovered such as the dumping of toxic waste into the rivers and it has potential to kill thousands of people and it is a real concern yet some people will just blow it off and others will steer away from that body of water completely. I may be confusing normalcy bias with denial but I see it kinda intertwined

In my opinion you're making a valid point, thank you.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The ostrich effect exists in the wild as a matter of nature. It appears to me the observation of Normalcy Bias is debatable in opinion for those who do not recognize psychiatric theory. I think it is what we are left with, having our primitive past removed we have the discipline of existing in modern society weighing upon us. Cave man or modern man, having uncertainty of what to do in a crucial time seems to make sense. When suddenly we are thrust into an event of some magnitude maybe the brain needs to buy some time to let our subconscious formulate a plan while our conscious mind tries to calm the waters of the perceived threat at hand.

Having worked telephones for technical support assistance I enjoyed some easy calls. Many guys knew what they had to do to correctly install, maintain or repair our machines - they just needed to hear themselves say it out loud to make sure they were 'on the money'. In a similar fashion it makes sense that people seek input or reassurance from others during trying times.

As far as living in denial, it's fine for those with terrible fashion sense, but not for those living near volcanos.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I think it has something to do with living in a first world country. Everything is so clean and safe, one doesn't really have to worry or prepare or watch your back because ambulances and police cars are only a quick phone call away if anything happens to you.

I've been living in the 3rd world for the last several years and I have to say, it's a jungle out here. You have to constantly be aware of what is going on around you and what the situation on the streets are as well as have good first aid training and a pocket full of money to get you out of trouble.

I can only imagine what it would be like in a REAL jungle.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TheyWontBelieveU

Yeah I recognized the lights and already knew it was phoenix I am in Tucson and I have a son and daughter in phoenix I know what you are saying AND I am alraedy on it however, wth is wrong with our disaster teams responding?? This is not looking goodf what and where are you headed??

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Hello I have read about kelp and on one of the other threads regarding this subject they were saying it will not raise the levels you need compared to iodide 130mgs.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The Normalcy Bias is a subset of Monkey-See,Monkey-Do Bias.

I'm serious - people don't respond to disaster because they look around at the other uninformed sheeple to gauge how their own response should be. They See people doing nothing, They Do nothing.

The opposite is also true - once people start Seeing others buying Potassium Iodide tablets, they ALL start wanting to buy the tablets - DESPITE the fact that NO ONE in authority told them to go buy it.

Humans are social animals and often just mimic what the other humans are doing - no matter who gives them what information.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
When I am faced with an emergency I often have to sit for a spell to rationalize my options. This must be because I have "normalcy bias"; either that or I am a calm and rational person.

However, sometimes it is best to let some crises sit for a spell rather than jump into them with fear or urgency.

For instance, my rabbit is sick and possibly with infection, I wasn't too sure what I wanted to do about it or how I should help him overcome this. I let it sit for a spell and I managed to walk through my options; I agreed that the following day I could manage the task at hand much easier. Fortunately the resolution was better served the next day as I had a second set of hands to hold the rabbit while I washed him. He is a very old rabbit (5 years old) and I feel he will at least now be comfortable regardless of the outcome. Poor thing!

Rabbits typically only live to be 6 years old and any infection usually takes them right away. My rabbit may or may not recover, but the crisis part is over and he and I both can relax a bit. The inevitable cannot be avoided either way but the initial frustration was best served by waiting.

I am sure that some people might have freaked and rushed off to an emergency clinic, spending hundreds of dollars on an old rabbit and ultimately facing the same end results. I am glad I just let this wait for the day to pass before I attempted my administrations.

Best of luck to your rabbit. What wonderful little friends they are to have. Over the years three rabbits came to live with us, they needed homes. So much personality, every one of them. I really like seeing the 4 H Club members rabbits at the State Fair, the farm folks handle their rabbits with confidence. These are the best things in life, these wonderful gifts we are given, rabbits and such. Good times to remember.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
The Normalcy Bias is a subset of Monkey-See,Monkey-Do Bias.

I'm serious - people don't respond to disaster because they look around at the other uninformed sheeple to gauge how their own response should be. They See people doing nothing, They Do nothing.

The opposite is also true - once people start Seeing others buying Potassium Iodide tablets, they ALL start wanting to buy the tablets - DESPITE the fact that NO ONE in authority told them to go buy it.

Humans are social animals and often just mimic what the other humans are doing - no matter who gives them what information.

I saying yes to the popular vote point you make, but no to the idea that all in the human race follow in a uniform path. If that were the case, in my opinion, forums such as this most likely wouldn't exist. There wouldn't be a reason for them to.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Greensage I would also like to say wishing you the best with your buddy I have many true stories regarding animal buddies in my life and it happens all the time I had a rabbit when I was a kid and a little dog got to him and well, you know the rest I responde by taking it out on the dog but felt miserable then too!!

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Really sad to see this thread not getting very much attention. Normalcy bias is very strong indeed in north america. When the u.s doller is no longer the worlds reserve currency things are going to become very very bad over night almost. What good is having the ability to keep printing as much money as you want when you are already in debt and the rest of the world wants nothing to do with america currency?

People are saying to stock food and water for a reason. its because the us doller is going to be worthless soon and getting anything you get normaly right now will be very very hard.
edit on 1-4-2011 by mojoarian because: (no reason given)

top topics

join